Struggling

Options
marbod
marbod Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I'm having a really hard time staying on course. I was following the app really well for two months and dropped off because I lost NOTHING. My husband is too tired from work to even go for a walk with me, I live in an area where I don't know anyone and I have no motivation to work out anymore.

I did a bootcamp last year which was incredible, but I can't afford it. $100 a month I don't have.

How can I push myself to keep going? I hate my body and because of that I hate myself and I feel like I'm just in a downward spiral.

I put in 60 lbs in the last 2 years because of stress and I desperately want to lose it, or at minimum a portion of it.

Replies

• janellfelker
    janellfelker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everyone feels like that some days. Here is a quote from Brene Brown, I read to myself, sometimes in the mirror. I hope it helps you too:
    "Wholehearted living is about engaging in our lives from a place of worthiness. It means cultivating the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, “No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough.” It’s going to bed at night thinking, “Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn’t change the truth that I am also brave and worthy of love and belonging.”"
    — Brene Brown
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When I feel like that, I do SOMETHING, something is better than nothing, whether it is just cutting my calories, or doing some lunges or 10 minutes of cardio or just something, it least I did something, it usually inspires me to continue and by the next day I do something just a little more, You will get there just do something, and then just something each day just 2 minutes a little more. :smiley:
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't work out, my health isn't good and so the most I can do these days is short walks, and I've lost 2 stone. Exercise is useful and very healthy, but not essential for weight loss.

If you lost absolutely nothing after two months, then an error was being made somewhere. Common mistakes:

Did you weigh your dry foods and measure your liquids? It's very easy to get portions wrong just by eyeballing them, and it's best not to blindly trust the weight listed on packaging (I once bought a tin of potatoes that claimed the drained weight was 320g, upon me weighing them they were actually closer to 400g!) You're always better to weigh everything yourself with a reliable kitchen scale.

Did you add a lot of your own recipies to your diary and perhaps misjudge the quantities of ingredients? Again, weighing them all individually is ideal, so you can weigh your portion of the completed meal and get a more accurate calorie count.

When logging in your diary, did you trust all the existing entries in the food database, or did you check that the calorie values were accurate against the packaging? Lots of entries are completely wrong, I input a lot of my own for that reason. Also, did you log honestly, and write up absolutely everything you ate?

Or possibly, myfitnesspal maybe calculated too many calories for you. The calorie estimation is exactly that, only an estimate, and may have simply been too high for you. You can change this yourself in your settings if you suspect that to be the problem.

I'm not going to tell you not to hate yourself, as I know as well as anyone that it's just not that easy, I still don't like my body at 2 stone lighter than I was, and it's not a mindset that is easy to change. However, trying to view things more positively is always for the best, people often set themselves up for failure by starting something with a no-can-do attitude. You are beautiful now, and you will be beautiful once you reach your goal, and it is something you can do, you are here asking for advice and you can start again, and don't quit if you don't get the fast results we would all like. It sounds like you're a bit lonely to be honest, is there some kind of social groups or clubs or anything where you live that you could go to and meet some like-minded people? Having friends nearby to encourage you is invaluable.
  • MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First off, don't give up! Try joining your area's MFP group on here to find local friends. Use weekends to walk with your husband or whenever he doesn't have work (perhaps have a picnic lunch at a park you both walk to). Make it a special 'date' for the two of you instead of a chore.

If you liked the bootcamp, I've seen a good number of 'bootcamp' dvds you could try. Perhaps pretend you ARE spending $100/month and reward yourself with a portion of that every month you stick to it. By the end of the year, you can use the funds to buy yourself something nice: a trip to a spa, a shopping spree, or some other treat for yourself.

Don't hate yourself. You are worth the effort. The fact you WANT to change is proof. You won't see the change overnight and you'll slip up, but don't beat yourself up over it. Take each day as a fresh start and do your best. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again as my grandma used to say. Every little success adds up and if you didn't even try you wouldn't even have those so celebrate each one!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You don't need some bootcamp to lose weight. You need to eat less.

Exercise can come later. For now focus on diet.
  • fedegarino
    fedegarino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Start eating right, and go outside, dont let the "fat mind" trick you on thinking you are ugly, or whatever and people will not like you.

You wrote in this forum, thats something.
    Google Neila Rey for free workouts (try the hiit one) its amazing, well explained and mainly for free!

Keep you mind on a goal and dont let your mind be weak, you can do everything you want if your mind its set to it!