Losing Weight

Options
Hello, I'm currently using myfitnesspal and I really enjoy and I'm down 15 pounds. I'm 21 and a student. My friends mom ordered Nutrisystem for a month and she decided not to use it so I told her I would take it and try it out. I'm just wondering if any of you had ever used Nutrisystem and how it works for all of you. I'm 5'2 and currently 175 pounds, so I was also wondering what kind of impact you think this meal plan would have on me. Thanks!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had a family member go on that program once. Once, meaning they are now off the program and on to other methods.

It's a pretty cut and dry program. I personally looked at the box of food and was really grossed out, since it's all prepackaged. Not that premade or prepackaged food is gross...but the prospect of weeks of meals sitting in a box just grossed me out for some reason. Since you got it for free, it's up to you whether or not you decide to actually use it. It's also a "one size fits all" meal plan, so the deficit may be too big, or close to maintenance depending on what your caloric needs are. I personally prefer fresh foods, and foods I make myself. So whatever works for you is the way to go!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    MFP is about lifestyle changes and getting into good habits that last a lifetime. What you oing to do when your system runs out? Id rather eat real food, especially as you have already lost 15lbs assume by healthy methods.

Ompact on you? Its food it has calories in it that will create a deficit I assume, except its in a packet and its measured already. Normal applies eat more than you burn= put weight on , if its less than you burn then you lose. No idea how much you will consume or how much you burn.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I had a friend lose about 50 pounds on nutrisystem years ago, and she promptly gained it all back and more. It may work for some people, but I would find it incredibly boring, restrictive since you have to eat their foods and wouldn't be able to ever eat out, and then when it's over you don't know how to eat and keep track of your own food and calories.
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It depends a lot on your support system.
    If you have people around you that are generally going to support you, then you can succeed with nutrisystem. Eating the right calories and creating a healthy calorie deficit. What workouts do you plan to do? Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap, finicky and nutritionally capricious for that sort of thing.

Let us know how it goes. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If its free, take it cuz its free! If not, keep doing what you're doing, its working! Nice job!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It averages 1250 calories a day..it works great..my mom was on it and lost 80 pounds and has kept it off for years
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    I used NutriSystem in the late '80s and reached my goal weight, no problem. Once I went off the packaged meals and quit going to the weekly meetings and weigh ins, basically all the structure went away, I kept the weight off about a year then gained it back. Now we have the Internet and sites like MFP for support during maintenance, so I could see being successful afterward. I liked the program, but that was a long time ago. Don't know if it's at all the same.