Almond Milk vs Orange Juice

Options
Okay, this seems like a bit of a weird either-or,but in the mornings I have been having a glass of OJ with Greek Yogurt, Banana, and a little nibble of granola. The question I had is whether there would be a nutritional benefit to subbing the OJ for Almond Milk (or something else).

Just thinking about it. Never tried the stuff, but if I get a half gallon I will be committing myself to drinking it for a week. I was thinking if someone knew of health benefits or consequences it might push me over the edge. Thanks.

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You're literally comparing almonds and oranges. They contain completely different vitamins, minerals, sugar etc. Whatever you prefer iifym.
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ditch the orange juice. It's loaded with sugar. Almond milk would definitely be better.
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well unless you juice your own oranges or something, almond milk will always definitely be a much healthier alternative. You can't exactly compare the two though?
    And if you want to know the health benefits why not just google it
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I like the light orange juice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Almond milk rocks! OJ is for vodka
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Meh, it's up to you. Which do you prefer? Personally, I don't do either. Try almond milk and see what you think. Perhaps you will alternate.
  • Richardlaing1
    Richardlaing1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Eat an orange, eat some almonds. Don't drink calories.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Do both. Orange juice, almond milk, and a lil vanilla extract, ice and blend. Ya got yourself a light orange julius ;)
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Orange juice has the sugar you need to lose weight. Almond milk is milk is for people who don't realize almonds are the devils testicles.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Can't really take almond milk on it's own, but I don't mind it mixed in a smoothie, oatmeal, or to sub half the milk in my coffee with.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I gave up orange juice because it has too many calories. It takes something like 6 oranges to make a glass orange juice and it has none of the fiber. I don't particularly like almond milk except in cereal. Really, the only benefit would be a reduction in calories and perhaps a loss of vitamin C.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    DavePFJ wrote: »
    Orange juice has the sugar you need to lose weight.
    What does that mean?

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Almond milk rocks! OJ is for vodka
    A girl after my own heart.
    love-115.gif
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love orange juice. I stepped back from it when I started trying to lose weight b/c I didn't want to commit to the calories. But now I get Trop50. Less sugar, less calories, no artificial sweeteners, and it taste like regular orange juice. For me it works. Now almond milk is okay. I personally prefer to use it for baking, but not drinking, but I've never been a milk drinker period. So...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,061 Member
    Options

Unless you like orange juice and/or almond milk and can fit the calories in :)
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Almond milk (at least the brand I drink, unsweetened.) has only 11 calories per 100ml.. So it's not 'drinking' calories as such!

I'd definitely pick the almond milk over the orange juice, although I agree with some people almond milk can be kind of weird on it's own until you get used it.. I normally have a 200ml serving with half tsp of cinnamon and half a tsp of honey in it as a nice hot drink!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the people that took the moment to respond to the comparison of oranges vs almonds.

I am looking to turn down the sugar a bit on the morning routine and Almond Milk seemed like it was a favorite to some, but I have struggled to identify what it provides (except perhaps an alternative to moo milk).

In an absence of anything strong on the pro column I am thinking I will not introduce almond milk into my routine and might try Trop 50 for a while. Although there are some interesting smoothie suggestions which I might try some time.

Thanks again all!
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would take the calorie hit with the OJ for the low sodium and high potassium. I am hypertensive so sodium potassium ratio is more important to me than most others.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    You're literally comparing almonds and oranges. They contain completely different vitamins, minerals, sugar etc. Whatever you prefer iifym.

This