Muscle soreness x's infinity...

Options
I just tried H.I.I.T and am sore after two days... my quads and hamstrings, especially medial ones, are screaming. I am a Massage Therapist so I've tried massaging them, stretching, soak in bath salts, heat packs, Ice... etc... I tried rest and they are still tight. It doesn't feel like anything is broken or torn. They are just sore.
This was my first time doing it. I didn't do everything the video wanted (lots of modification). I warmed up for at least 5 minutes before starting. Did I bite off more than I can chew?
Is this normal for beginners?

Replies

• strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Normal for beginners. It may take a couple more days but it'll go away. Just keep at it.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I always find the 2nd day after a workout like that to be the worst and gets better from there. I find going for a walk to loosen up helps a little bit but overall, time is what it takes.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I agree with both responders. Ironically, my trainer proved to me long ago that moving around more (a long walk, a bike ride, some gentle exercising ...sort of hair of the dog" approach) will loosen it up better than rest.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I always find the 2nd day after a workout like that to be the worst and gets better from there. I find going for a walk to loosen up helps a little bit but overall, time is what it takes.

+1 and 2 aspirin :)

• trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Normal for beginners. Make sure you're drinking lots of water and remember if the pain gets to be too much, you may need to take a rest.