Do Artificial Sweeteners Hinder Weight Loss? What Are Healthy Alternatives that Satisfy?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    They tend to make me EAT LESS contrary to popular belief. I rarely have diet soda, but when I do I stay full longer. Maybe because it adds to the volume of my meals with negligible added calories. If they don't affect you negatively or increase your hunger, the answer is no, they will not hinder your weight loss.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Sweeteners cause an insulinic response, so their impact on weight loss depends on the type of diet you are on, if you are on a low carb or slow carb diet where the object is to minimise insulin response then I would avoid sweetners but if you are on a high or moderate carb diet then effect is more likely to be negligible. My argument against sweetners is a) they are nutritionally useless carbs and b) some types of sweetners such as aspartame cause a range of side effects ....

a) I dont think anyone is saying they use artificial sweeteners for the nutritional benifits.

They use them because they like sweet things and they have issues with sugar (eg diabetics) or they want a no calorie alternative to sugar for weight control reasons. Or they like the taste of an artifically sweetened product like Pepsi Max.

But that doesnt make them bad - there are many things I consume for reasons other than nutritional benifit - when I eat birthday cake, for example, Im not doing it because it is nutritionally wonderful. :s
    - Doesnt mean I should be against birthday cake.
    -
    b) as stated many times in these threads, for most people, there are no side effects at all so that is a non-issue too.

What about the "nutritionally useless carbs" in zero calorie sweeteners, don't forget that part :wink:

• philwrightfitness
    Options
    Many sweetners still have carbs look on the nutritional list on the pack, my point is if you want carbs eat fruit or veg and get the fibre and the nutrients as well, yes people don't eat sweetners for the nutritional value they want their food to be sweet .... But your still gonna get the insulin response....is it worth it really?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Many sweetners still have carbs look on the nutritional list on the pack, my point is if you want carbs eat fruit or veg and get the fibre and the nutrients as well, yes people don't eat sweetners for the nutritional value they want their food to be sweet .... But your still gonna get the insulin response....is it worth it really?

As explained above even protein gives you an insulin response. "All things in moderation". Yes, the little Splenda I use to sweeten my coffee is worth it to me!

I eat apples and frozen mixed veg virtually everyday. But they can't sweeten coffee. Each item that I consume has its place in my diet
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    That depends. Do they make you hungry, causing you to eat more? Do they affect your blood sugar levels?

This.

Personally I don't touch them because they give me migraines. As a kid, my mom swore by them and claimed that she "once" lost weight relying on them. That was before I was born, and as long as I knew her, she was always overweight. She also always drank diet coke and never ate sweets - but she was obviously eating more in general than she was burning. My point is, at the end of the day, it's still calories in vs. out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I just can't wait to revisit this topic in 5-10 years. I hope everyone is still around.
    I've been drinking diet Pepsi consistently over 25 years now. You don't have to wait.
    According to many alarmists, I should be full of formaldehyde and have cancer and brain tumors by now.
    At least I look good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    If you're eating a banana at 150 calories or drinking a diet Pepsi just for a sweet kick and only have 50 calories left on allotment, then yes it's worth it.
    Now IF one wants carbs, eat carbs. If one just wants a sweet fulfillment, then using an artificial sweetener has been shown to be safe to use if not overdosed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    These conversations remind me so much of the ones about cigarettes back when people were still saying that there was no evidence they were bad for you.

I don't use them at all anymore.

I do miss my diet pop, but I don't miss the caffeine and sodium issues. I'm glad I don't take in artificial sweeteners, too. One less thing to worry about. :)

so artificial sweeteners = cigarrettes..?? Fear monger much..???????
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The problem I've found with stevia and xylitol and maltitol and the like are the sugar alcohols make me ill. I'm a medicated diabetic as well. There are only two sweeteners that I've found I can tolerate. Erythritol or blends of it. You can get a monkfruit sweetener (not the monkfruit in the raw you get at the grocery store, that has maltodextrin) from a healthfood store. And Swerve is another name brand of erythritol.

I find it tastes more like sugar, it measures tbsps for tbsp. And the sugar alcohols don't seem to make me sick. Swerve to me, tastes EXACTLY like sugar. Thankfully the price of it prevents me from going overboard with baked goods, it's more for use when you need sugar. Coffee etc.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Whether you do anything with all these comments and advice, is totally up to you.

But please stop consuming Aspartame today. It is so unhealthy for you in so many ways.
    Please state how it's unhealthy in so many ways and some peer reviewed clinical studies to support the statements.
    Many will lay claim to how unhealthy it is (IE. saying that formaldehyde forms from ingestion, but not realizing the same thing happens when eating citrus fruits) because it's something they read in an article, heard from a person, or watched on TV with Dr. Oz.
    Correct information is good information.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It just raises your risk of diabetes... no big.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    no - lack of deficit hinders weight loss, I use sweetener quite often and its great because it doesn't impact my deficit :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ballardf wrote: »
    I get conflicting info about artificial sweeteners. Do they hinder weight loss? I use them sparingly but I have to have them in certain foods and beverages, mainly coffee and oatmeal. I have one cup of coffee daily and drink water the rest of the day- no soda. Once in a while if eating out I'll have unsweetened iced tea. Im diabetic so I really have to monitor my sugar intake.

No, unless they increase your hunger. This is not true for everyone, I'm sure, but for me artificial sugar seems to make me feel hungrier, so I eat very little of them.

I use white sugar, brown sugar, agave nectar, and stevia--whatever I feel like at the time.

If you don't like sugar substitutes, can diabetics use agave nectar and stevia? I'm not sure how that works.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners are so bad for you. They contribute to many health problems. They also trigger your body to crave more sugar. Hence over eating and then gaining. If you need sugar in drinks and oatmeal use Sweet leaf stivia drops. They even come in soda flavors to give water extea taste. Stevia wont cause spikes in your blood sugar like other sweetners will. :)
    Sugar substitutes are no more bad for you than anything else.

Just because sugar substitutes might trigger your hunger does not mean they trigger everyone's hunger.

Stevia might cause spikes in some people's sugar, since they are not a substitute but a sugar derived from a plant.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Artificial sweetners are so bad for you. They contribute to many health problems. They also trigger your body to crave more sugar. Hence over eating and then gaining. If you need sugar in drinks and oatmeal use Sweet leaf stivia drops. They even come in soda flavors to give water extea taste. Stevia wont cause spikes in your blood sugar like other sweetners will. :)
    Not according to peer reviewed clinical studies. This is a subject I'm well versed at and NONE of my clients have any issues with weight loss using it.
    Where does it become a issue? IMO, when people think that drinking a 0 calorie drink is "saving" them calories and go off and eat because they believe 0 calories allows room for a lot more.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What??? Do you mean that my diet Coke at McDonald's DOESN't cancel out the calories in my large order of fries?!?
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not consume artificial sweetener in moderation, I consume a ton of it. Really, just, so much. I've lost and kept off over 160 pounds, and am within 5 pounds of my goal weight.

Some people find that sweeteners make them hungrier, so maybe those people shouldn't consume them. I don't know. I do know that they have not impeded my weight loss. Good luck with your weight loss journey, whether or not you use sweeteners! :smile:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    If you don't like sugar substitutes, can diabetics use agave nectar and stevia? I'm not sure how that works.
    Just for the info, stevia is usually ok, I just think it tastes gross. But agave is a problem..

While it is true that many types of agave syrup have a low GI, the natural food market is still significantly unregulated in the United States. Not all agave nectar and syrup companies use the same methods, or the same parts of the agave plant, in their manufacturing. As a result, some types of agave syrup may have a much higher or lower GI than other brands, despite bearing virtually the same labels. Unsuspecting diabetics can therefore easily end up with blood sugars much different than expected simply by changing brands.

In addition, low GI is no guarantee that a food is good for diabetics. Corn syrup is just one example of a food that has a low GI, but is otherwise clearly not healthy. Concentrated fructose, which is found in many brands of agave nectar and syrup, is similar to corn syrup in this regard. It may have a low GI, but excessive intake is associated with clogged arteries, elevated levels of uric acid, and increased body fat all things that are dangerous to the health of diabetics. Because of these and other issues, the Glycemic Research Institute and Federal Drug Administration have both expressed serious concerns about agave syrup is being labeled and sold as beneficial to diabetics.

In short, most diabetic nutritionists will tell you to treat agave just like sugar.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Agave nectar is just fructose, so it's a caloric sweetener whereas stevia is generally just a chemical extract without calories.
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    This can be a touchy subject. I almost didn't post because I'm new here and don't want to participate in any debates. However, I do feel strongly about this one so I'm taking the risk and posting... A few years ago my husband started developing some very scary neurological problems. He was fainting, loosing sight for a minute at a time, his leg would feel weak and give out. He had horrible headaches etc. We spent thousands of dollars on medical tests (at first they though MS, then after ruling that out they thought brain tumor etc.) The doctors didn't know what was wrong and prescribed him a stong anti-seizure medicine to control his symptoms. The medicine had a horrifying list of side effects, but he was desperate.

Luckily a coworker of mine happened to bring in a case of diet sprite and said we could have them at the office because she realized artificial sweeteners were causing her headaches. A bell went off in my head, my husband had consumed so many artificial sweeteners since he had decided to lose weight. He switched from his 2 cokes a day to coke zero. He suddenly developed more of a taste for them and since they were guilt free he was drinking 3 or more a day and he had developed a taste for sugar free jello too. These habit had been going on for months before his health issues and continued as we sought medical advice. No Dr had ever asked him about what he was eating.

Turns out my husband had aspartame poisoning (it's a real thing.) When he presented the idea to our Dr she said "Oh yes, some people are very sensitive to artificial sweeteners." Since then we've immersed ourselves in the research and know how dangerous this stuff is. He was much better within 3 weeks of quitting aspartame and totally healthy within about 3 months.

I think only some people have sensitivity to artificial sweeteners and I'm sure it's safe-ish for most people. Personally, after seeing first hand the damage it can do I don't consume them.

I am in no way proposing that aspartame is more dangerous than obesity. Loosing weight is important and we need resources and alternatives in order to not feel deprived. We should just be aware of what we are putting into our bodies and be alert to any possible sensitivities.

THIS.