A little confused on using HRM to log exercises

Options
So I just got a HRM (Polar chest strap) and paired it with my phone, so far so good.
I did 2 separate exercises, cardio and strength ( the app has an option for weight training)
Question is, do I need to create an exercise under cardio to be able to log calories for a strength type workout?

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'd be suspicious of the HRM for strength exercises, even if it's an option on your app. They tend to calculate way, way too high. This is due to your heart rate being elevated while you are resting.

For example, in a 1 hour long strength training session, you may only really be lifting for 15 minutes or so!

But to answer your question:
    When you add an exercise, you can manually punch in the calories.
  • Sutnak
    Options
    blazepurr wrote: »
    I'd be suspicious of the HRM for strength exercises, even if it's an option on your app. They tend to calculate way, way too high. This is due to your heart rate being elevated while you are resting.

For example, in a 1 hour long strength training session, you may only really be lifting for 15 minutes or so!

I pause my polar whenever I stop for a rest, does that make it more accurate for strength training? I don't mean lifting heavy at the gym. Like squats and dumbbell body moves

More accurate, sure, because it's reading lower. But the calculations in the software are done based on an athlete doing aerobic, and not anaerobic exercise.

In the end, just do what feels right. If you lose weight too fast, eat more calories. If you lose weight too slow, eat less calories for it.

• 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I only see that option under the cardio exercises, and when I search the database it gives me an estimate of how I'd burn but won't let me add it to my diary.
    I guess it doesn't matter as long as I add the calories, I'm just wondering if I'm not getting how to use the exercise diary

I suppose you're also right about amount of calories burnt during weight training, I'll adjust that
  • Sutnak
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh! I see!

Weight lifting exercises only records reps. Most people don't even use it.
    Just use Cardio and pick strength training as the type of cardio exercise.

• 7aneena
    Options
    got it, thanks :D
    I'll also follow @blazepurr idea and pause, should get a more accurate estimate and log even lower than that to be on the safe side
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, you must add Strength Training which is listed under cardio section for calorie burn. The lifting section is merely to keep progress on your lifts.

That calorie burn may seem low compared to cardio for equal time, but it's true, it is less.

And no, that Polar model has no intention of going beyond the bounds of their faq where they state the proper use of calorie estimates from HRM's. The weight lifting features are for timers and letting you know HR has recovered enough.

But even that's not totally true, because if you are fit, your HR can recover faster than your muscles may be ready for another big lift.
  • heybales
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »
    got it, thanks :D
    I'll also follow @blazepurr idea and pause, should get a more accurate estimate and log even lower than that to be on the safe side

If you do that, then you are having an average that is mainly the results of anaerobic lifting, a higher average then, because it's not offset by the rest times where HR would be lower. The time will be shorter, but that just makes it appear more intense too.

The Strength Training in the database is based on studies. You can maybe find a better one that fits, but that is sets and rests of 1-3 min, heavy for you, not maintenance or circuit training lifting that is tad more cardio and more burn.

Here's the report to dig in to the studies if desired. 2011 includes more recent studies of course.
    Upper section is the reference studies the lower section is pulling MET values from.
    Take your BMR / 1440 = resting calorie burn per min x METS x total minutes (including short rests) = calories burned.
    https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/compendia

Probably 5-6 METS, depending on how vigorous you are.
  • abetocampo
    Options
    if you're using a HRM chest strap (paired to the phone meaning an App is reading the HRM instead of the usual Polar watch), just use it on whether you're on cardio or weights exercise. The calories captured for both will be pretty accurate, since the your actual heart rate is plotted against TIME or EFFORT. If you need to log them separately, start with cardio then STOP/RESET the monitor. Start again for weights. Unless you are doing a combination of weights with HIIT (high intensity intervals), your calorie output would usually be a lot lower than pure cardio workout like treadmill or running. I also suggest you don't "pause" your monitor in between workouts. Better to have an interval timer where you can set, say 40 secs of exercise, and then 20 secs of rest. Each change from exercise to rest makes a loud beep so you know if you are on rest mode. If a certain weight workout raises your heart rate, the 20 secs mode will probably lower that by 4-5 bpms, but that also means its easier to pick up on your workout HR again for the next round.

hope this helps. im a runner who does HR-training but what i have here is purely experiential.
  • 7aneena
    Options
    OK so maybe not pausing is better. Interesting enough when I did my calculation based on the formula posted by @heybales I was working between 5 and 6 METS

Thanks everyone for your input :smile:
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I personally keep my HRM going. I also do HIT. So ill do 2 mins high intensity 1 min low intensity. Same difference when lifting weights as how far your heart rate spikes and drops. So whatever I do in the hour at the gym I just hit stop grab the calories and put it all under cardio.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I asked he Tech Support at Polar a few years ago as there are SO MANY people who say they dont work for strength training. The HRM's are suited for all activity that raises the heart. We burn calories even while sleeping - and the measure of our burn is scientifically linked to HR. So if your heart is pumping, you are alive, and burning . . . If it is above 90bpm, the HRM is spot on accurate!! No need to pause, just switch on and go . . . .
  • Sutnak
    Options
    I asked he Tech Support at Polar a few years ago as there are SO MANY people who say they dont work for strength training. The HRM's are suited for all activity that raises the heart. We burn calories even while sleeping - and the measure of our burn is scientifically linked to HR. So if your heart is pumping, you are alive, and burning . . . If it is above 90bpm, the HRM is spot on accurate!! No need to pause, just switch on and go . . . .

The problem with that theory is that heart rate doesn't correlate directly to energy expenditure.
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    As I'm still reasonably unfit, it takes a while for my heartrate to drop after exercise. Should I leave my HRM going (and synching it to MFP) until it's dropped under 90's before turning it off, or should I stop it as soon as I stop my workout?

I've been letting it run and not sure if that is 'fair'?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

The problem with that theory is that heart rate doesn't correlate directly to energy expenditure.
    This correct. If not, people could just watch scary movies and burn calories.

Lifting weights does burn calories, but not anywhere near what one does for running or cycling.

I'm pretty sure the instructions in the majority of HRM state for it to get a most accurate reading you need a "steady state of cardio". Lifting is not cardio nor steady.

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oh! I see!

Weight lifting exercises only records reps. Most people don't even use it.
    Just use Cardio and pick strength training as the type of cardio exercise.

That's how I log my "strength" training too.......something I've started doing though.....take whatever calorie burn the HRM gives you, PLUS MFP......add them together, then divide by 2.......that'll give you a closer average.......

I know some days my calorie burn is outrageous in MFP for my weight training......like I'm talking a 100-200 calorie gap......but as mentioned.......the calorie burn on MFP is figuring NO rests......lol.....but when most people lift, there's lots of resting periods.....chatting, talking, shuffling through music, etc......

So this is what I been doing......I just take the average of the 2......and log THAT lower number :)
  • heybales
    Options
    If it is above 90bpm, the HRM is spot on accurate!! No need to pause, just switch on and go . . . .

No where near spot on accurate - even with a nicer Polar that has all the stats filled in with lab measured results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

Unless "spot on" includes a potential variance of 10-30% off actual measured results. But I think the phrase there would be - "maybe close enough".

Shoot, even for walking and running - calculator formula is more accurate than HRM.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • heybales
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    but when most people lift, there's lots of resting periods.....chatting, talking, shuffling through music, etc......

Or waiting for equipment taken by the person doing those things. Always lovely.
  • heybales
    Options
    EvelineUK wrote: »
    As I'm still reasonably unfit, it takes a while for my heartrate to drop after exercise. Should I leave my HRM going (and synching it to MFP) until it's dropped under 90's before turning it off, or should I stop it as soon as I stop my workout?

I've been letting it run and not sure if that is 'fair'?

And you have just given an excellent example of why HR can't always be tied to energy expended.

You've just stopped your workout, and if unfit, your HR may drop 10 bpm from a rather high value.
    But you are standing there doing nothing but breathing hard, but your HRM is giving this calorie burn pretty close to what you were doing when actually moving.
    Are you really still burning anywhere near that much - not a chance.
    While the heart beating faster does burn a tad more energy as a muscle itself, it's no where near what the HRM thinks by that inflated HR reading.

And that is exactly the effect doing non-steady state cardio too, or anaerobic.
    When you do cardio and increase effort (notice this next time), your effort goes up (pace, incline, tension, ect) but your HR lags behind somewhat for a few seconds. But you are burning more doing more. Then HR will shoot up higher.
    But if you stay at that effort for 2-4 min, the HR will lower to where it really needs to be - it like overshoots at first, to make up for the lag it had at first providing the needed oxygen.

But if your workout is constantly changing efforts or loads on your body, your HR never drops to what was truly needed, always on the inflated side except for that initial few seconds of lag time going up. But it never takes seconds to lower back down when the effort gets easy.

Hence steady-state cardio being the full description, merely because otherwise you'll have inflated HR. More out of shape, the more inflated.

• Sutnak
    Options
    ^ Yep. And just for laughs, I've used my HRM while strength training. I believe it said I burned 1300 calories in an hour. I also use an app (jefit) that allots you an average amount of time for the exercises you're tracking, then tracks that versus rest.

My 1300 calorie workout was about 18 minutes of actual movement, and 42 minutes of resting.

If the HRM is even anywhere near accurate, that means I burned 1300 for 18 minutes of exercise. Which isn't even humanly possible. (Heck, 1300 in one hour is probably a very large elite-level-athlete level of caloric expenditure.)