How important is it to have friends on here?

Options
I only have 3 friends :'( mainly because I don't ask anyone to be my friend. I feel like I'm being a bother, I mean, what if they have over 100 friends? Do they really want another?

I also feel it's easy to look at my profile and keep up with my friends because I only have three :)

Anyway, do you feel it's beneficial for success to have many friends?

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like rooting for each other but you can do that with 3 friends. I don't think having many friends would make a difference for me. The friends I have are mostly active so I do hear from them.
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    we can be friends welcome :)
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I like to see what others are doing but you are correct it can get difficult to keep up when you have too many, then you can't really interact in any meaningful fashion. Once I am caught up on my list if I care to "interact" more I can always look on the forums.

So no, I don't think it's beneficial for success.

Also you shouldn't feel like you are a bother, most people who don't want any more requests at all say so in their profile I think. And if they don't want to add you, they won't. Just don't feel bad if you don't have your request accepted.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've only got two friends on here, both of which are people I know in real life. I, like you, am worried about being a bother and I'm too shy to actually PM anyone so I don't think I'd be a very good friend as I probably wouldn't talk to them :\ on the other hand, I've done perfectly fine on here without friends as I've lost 26 pounds since June :blush: friends are probably helpful, but not necessary.
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me, it has changed everything. I am no longer a woman trying to lose weight I am just living a healthy life style and having friends while I do. I get support and ideas from my friends. Feel free to friend request people, especially people you see who are very active on the pages. Good luck with your journey.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Depends on you... everyone is different.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I have friends for entertainment purposes.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I have friends for entertainment purposes.

Yeah same here, one of the main things that makes me continue using MFP is having funny friends - it makes the whole weight loss thing less of a chore and more fun.
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I find having friends on here a real help. Hearing their stories, sharing their successes comforting them when they're struggling or down.

Feel free to add me, you won't be a bother. :)
  • FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a small handful of acqaintances on MFP, but they're not a factor in my results. I'm here to use the diary and food database functions moreso than to socialize. :) For some people, though, having a support group is an important factor in their success or lack thereof.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like having friends, it keeps the ideas fresh and I laugh a lot. I do agree that the number is not of any importance. You can have a great experience with any amount, however it is really difficult to keep up with a friend list that is too big :)
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like friends with open diaries because it gives me ideas. I also feel more motivated when folks are posting their activity. I think they help me. I also make a point to leave personal comments instead of only likes because it keeps it more personal.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What matters is how important it is to you, not to me. Personally, I find having a few friends is pleasant and adds to mfp experience. However, what I do (or don't do) in regards to food and exercise is not impacted in any way.

Some people seem to "collect" friends like collecting followers in twitter -- and the relationships are not as deep. Having three friends that you interact with on a personal basis is, imo, much more meaningful than having a hundred "friends" who are essentially anonymous followers.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's up to the individual. Personally, I like it when I post a check-in that reflects a weight loss and I get twelve "likes" and ten "attaboy" comments. But that's just me. Some people would rather not see those.
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone could use hero and support, whether they have 100 or 3 friends on their list. I don't really ask to be people's friends either, but I always say that I'll be someone's friend if they want one! My reason for not asking is not because I feel like I'm bothering people, I just don't lol.

So, with that said, feel free to add me, along with anyone else!
  • ShannonS921
    Options
    It is important for me to have friends here, simply to have others that understand and others I can reach out to for help. Plus, all of my friends are entertaining as hell! :smile:
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I guess for me, i'm ok on my own in so much as I know what I doing, have my set routines, and I know even if I screw up along the way it back to the grind the next day.

But it a nice feeling being able to advise others from my own personal experiences, and there is always that chance you may learn something new, or gives you ideas for things that on ya own maybe never have thought of.

But others do need that support network, they need the constant accountability for their good and bad habits.

So each to their own at end of the day :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like having my friends for multiple reasons:
    One, they keep me accountable.
    Two, I laugh my a** off, a LOT!
    Three, I like to cheer them on and be there for them.
    Four, I like looking at diaries and getting ideas.
    Five, they make this journey a heck of a lot easier.