How important is it to have friends on here?

Options

Replies

• shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love the support that having friends on MFP provides. Many of the weight conversations I have, I don't have in "real life". I love having a place that I can talk comfortably about an issue that is important and relevant to me. My MFP fam keeps me motivated, as well as, entertained.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've set the Chrome browser to go to mfp.com/forums/ so I never see what my friends are doing. Sorry if you're my friend. Given that only about 15% of people here will reach their goal weight, I tend to not rely on the successes of others here. For me, weight loss is relatively solitary.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Love my friends here. What's with the pic? Post yourself. Maybe you'll have friends. I'm not trying to be mean.
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    I like having friends here, people in the same boast so to speak. I get ideas from what other people are posting. I don't think it's necessary for success, but it doesn't hurt.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have too many restraining orders, or I would add you.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I have friends for entertainment purposes.

HEY! Is that all I am to you?!
    love-085.gif
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about my health and fitness in my real life, so I love having my friends here to cheer me on, or give me advice without any judgement. Extra support and fun can't be bad.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I use FaceBook for my social media ... and I use these discussion groups on MFP to interact with people here. There is one or two groups I have joined and post on them, and read the posts of other members, on a daily basis. That's enough for me. Otherwise I would never get off this computer and I spend much too much time on it as it is already.

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love having the support of friends on here for me. I have found that it's been a motivation to get going and it gives me new ideas. So for me, yes, friends is important to have on here.

But to each their own.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I have my diary open and I write in my blog which is open to my friends only. My blog is very boring :-/

I am active every day but more so during the week.

I am going to lose this weight with or without friends but it's nice to have the support of true fighters. :)
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I didn't have friends on here when I first started but now I try to keep my friends list around 80. I only keep people that are serious about weight loss and are using this site for just that. If I have friends on my list that haven't logged in for 30 days I delete them (unless its family or a close friend I know personally).

I like it when I run a race and my support team cheers me on or I can do the same for them and I like to see people lose and if I am in a rut it makes me try and work harder.

It is all a preference. I always welcome new friends.
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd be as productive if I didn't have the support and motivation of all my friends on here!
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Having a good number of supportive friends is very important to stay on track. I can vouch for @leenda62. She is on my friend list and if you are looking for an active, supportive friend, pretty sure she would accept a FR
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It works for me. This go around is the first time I've done it with MFP friends and it's very motivating compared to going it alone.

Feel free to add me. And don't be scared to add people, the worst they can do is not accept it :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like having a group of friends so I can ask the dumb questions I would get made fun of for asking on a message board...They signed up to be my friend so the responses are helpful :)
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out how that works yet... a couple of people have wanted to friend me but until I know more about what it actually is, I'm afraid I'm not going to appear very friendly. (Yeah, I'm old... I don't do Facebook either.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    I haven't figured out how that works yet... a couple of people have wanted to friend me but until I know more about what it actually is, I'm afraid I'm not going to appear very friendly. (Yeah, I'm old... I don't do Facebook either.)

It's kind of similar to facebook. You can post questions or updates on your profile, and your friends will see, and vice versa. It can be very helpful and more than just a social tool, especially if you have some friends who really know what they're doing and can give advice privately, instead of on the message boards.

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    I only have 3 friends :'( mainly because I don't ask anyone to be my friend. I feel like I'm being a bother, I mean, what if they have over 100 friends? Do they really want another?

I also feel it's easy to look at my profile and keep up with my friends because I only have three :)

Anyway, do you feel it's beneficial for success to have many friends?

It depends on the type of friends. I have a wonderful group currently who are focused on eating healthfully and exercising, but I've gotten requests from a couple who either don't eat (as in set their goals to 900 or less per day and fill the news feed with obsessive thoughts about their bodies and eating etc) those people I quickly delete. I even had one who started out OK but then made her goal 700 and ate half that. If you're going to be....for lack of a better term bat$&$% f#$#4 crazy, I don't need you. Go take that to a dietician and a psychiatrist.
  • DeeJayD2015
    DeeJayD2015 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think it's incredibly important and helpful, for me at least, to make real connections with like minded folks on MFP. It helps motivate me, keeps me honest and give me a reason to look forward to logging in - because honestly I am not all WOO HOO time to log my food. haha :wink:
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    does not bother me to have no friends here. i mostly just stay on the main forum and groups.