Activity Tracker or HRM?

Options
The activities I do:
  • Yoga
  • Weight Lifting
  • Running
  • etc

I need something that tracks how many calories I burn [accurately] and how many steps I take. If its a sleep tracker as well then that's a bonus. So should I get a HRM or Activity tracker?
I don't really have a lot of money so like yeah.. Don't give me something that's like around $200 :(

Replies

• Kristyann624
    Kristyann624 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit zip and like it. It doesn't track sleep, but is more budget friendly. As far as accuracy I'm not sure. I've been sticking to my old calories that I set up on mfp and monitoring the burn on the Fitbit. I'm still losing, so it must be in the ballpark at least.

I also have an hrm my husband got me for Christmas last year. It's a 60 Beat brand and does the job well. I had never heard of it, but my husband is very budget conscious. It has a chest strap and an app to connect to on my phone that relays the data.

I think if I had to choose I'd go with the hrm. I like to know how hard I'm working in my workouts. It's a bonus to me to see the steps and overall burn.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I recommend a HRM from Polar, preferably a bluetooth version, that you can link to your smartphone using the Polar Beat app. You can find it on Amazon fairly cheap.
  • awdickerson
    awdickerson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently using the HRM from Polar. It is the H7 model and is Bluetooth. It is very easy and I love the app on my Iphone. You can get it online for around $70.00
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have both......a cheapo HRM, as well as a FitBit Flex.....and the HRM is definitely more accurate IMHO......but I like the sleep tracking aspect and the "goal tracking" aspect of the Flex ;) I don't know, they are both valueable......but if you're looking for "accuracy" the HRM I think is gonna be your best friend.....especially running, weight lifting, etc......since it's measuring your calorie burn based on your age/weight/height and your "exertion" (how fast your heart is being.....? hehe).

I'd consider getting one from a retailer with a good return policy though ;) So you can return/exchange it if you don't like it......etc....

The funny thing with the Fitbit, is like the other day I was doing some totally rad air guitar/air drums, and then glanced at my fitbit.com and my step counts like skyrocketed haha......felt like I cheated myself hahahah.....cause I wasn't "walking"....but simply waving my hands willdly haha......

That, and I'm caught it "clocking" steps while driving too! LOL.....
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yoshimay36 wrote: »
    The activities I do:
    • Yoga
    • Weight Lifting
    • Running
    • etc

I need something that tracks how many calories I burn [accurately] and how many steps I take. If its a sleep tracker as well then that's a bonus. So should I get a HRM or Activity tracker?
    I don't really have a lot of money so like yeah.. Don't give me something that's like around $200 :(
    An HRM can be useful for running. It won't accurately calculate the burn from lifting or yoga. A fitbit will count steps from running ... but won't accurately calculate lifting or yoga. Even MFP's help admits that accurately calculating calories from lifting is extremely difficult due to the number of variables in play.

Heart rate monitors are excellent .... for tracking heart rate. The formulae used for calorie estimation aren't as great ... especially on the lower end models that include fewer data points and parameters into the math.
  • Yoshimay36
    Yoshimay36 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    I have both......a cheapo HRM, as well as a FitBit Flex.....and the HRM is definitely more accurate IMHO......but I like the sleep tracking aspect and the "goal tracking" aspect of the Flex ;) I don't know, they are both valueable......but if you're looking for "accuracy" the HRM I think is gonna be your best friend.....especially running, weight lifting, etc......since it's measuring your calorie burn based on your age/weight/height and your "exertion" (how fast your heart is being.....? hehe).

I'd consider getting one from a retailer with a good return policy though ;) So you can return/exchange it if you don't like it......etc....

The funny thing with the Fitbit, is like the other day I was doing some totally rad air guitar/air drums, and then glanced at my fitbit.com and my step counts like skyrocketed haha......felt like I cheated myself hahahah.....cause I wasn't "walking"....but simply waving my hands willdly haha......

That, and I'm caught it "clocking" steps while driving too! LOL.....

Ohh, what HRM do you use? :open_mouth:
    Ohh, makes sense. Thank you!
  • Yoshimay36
    Options
    The activities I do:
    • Yoga
    • Weight Lifting
    • Running
    • etc

An HRM can be useful for running. It won't accurately calculate the burn from lifting or yoga. A fitbit will count steps from running ... but won't accurately calculate lifting or yoga. Even MFP's help admits that accurately calculating calories from lifting is extremely difficult due to the number of variables in play.

Heart rate monitors are excellent .... for tracking heart rate. The formulae used for calorie estimation aren't as great ... especially on the lower end models that include fewer data points and parameters into the math.

Okay, I understand, thank you.
  • Yoshimay36
    Options
    I am currently using the HRM from Polar. It is the H7 model and is Bluetooth. It is very easy and I love the app on my Iphone. You can get it online for around $70.00

Sounds good. Does it work on Androids, too?
  • Yoshimay36
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I recommend a HRM from Polar, preferably a bluetooth version, that you can link to your smartphone using the Polar Beat app. You can find it on Amazon fairly cheap.

Which Polar? :p
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The activities I do:
    • Yoga
    • Weight Lifting
    • Running
    • etc

^^^ this
  • Yoshimay36
    Options
    I have the Fitbit zip and like it. It doesn't track sleep, but is more budget friendly. As far as accuracy I'm not sure. I've been sticking to my old calories that I set up on mfp and monitoring the burn on the Fitbit. I'm still losing, so it must be in the ballpark at least.

I also have an hrm my husband got me for Christmas last year. It's a 60 Beat brand and does the job well. I had never heard of it, but my husband is very budget conscious. It has a chest strap and an app to connect to on my phone that relays the data.

I think if I had to choose I'd go with the hrm. I like to know how hard I'm working in my workouts. It's a bonus to me to see the steps and overall burn.

FitBit Zip? Oh is it the one that has a clip, and is great for walking? I was thinking about getting it, but then I remembered I might forget to put it on when I actually do something.. :s