help, low net calories

Options
Several times a week I workout really hard and I end up burning around 1000 calories or more. On these days I keep getting to the end of the day and my net calories are really low. Most of the time I am full, I have had 4-6 meals, and I have no interest in eating anything. I know I need something but I can never find anything except junk which I do not want.

I have tried protien drinks and bars but they just make me sick. I try to line up these workouts up with when I know I will not be cooking or we will be going out. This helps some but does not fix it. I am also tring to focus on eating a larger breakfast which keeps getting lost to the baby.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can eat to bulk up my calories when I have no interest in food. Or how I can rearrange my day.

Thank you for all the support.
L

Replies

• cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    how about a nice glass of Oj or apple juice you can sip on it through the evening it is nice with some Ice
  • JoyfulJC
    JoyfulJC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight you shouldn't be eating the calories that you earn while working out. I don't log my workouts in the exercise area so that it doesn't count toward my net carbs, I put it in the notes section of my food diary so that I can keep track of how many calories I burned.

If you are not hungry you should not eat. Listen to your body. It will tell you what to do.

Your body only needs your base metabolic rate. There are many ways to calculate this. I got mine done by a machine that read how many calories my body burns at rest.

If you are eating all the calories that you work off what's the point in working out? Make sense?
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    peanut butter sandwich? chocolate milk?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight you shouldn't be eating the calories that you earn while working out. I don't log my workouts in the exercise area so that it doesn't count toward my net carbs, I put it in the notes section of my food diary so that I can keep track of how many calories I burned.

If you are not hungry you should not eat. Listen to your body. It will tell you what to do.

Your body only needs your base metabolic rate. There are many ways to calculate this. I got mine done by a machine that read how many calories my body burns at rest.

If you are eating all the calories that you work off what's the point in working out? Make sense?

This is completely incorrect. You are supposed to eat your exercise calories because MFP already gives you a calorie deficit. So even if you didn't exercise and met your calorie goal you would still lose weight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can always not burn so many calories. There's no need to burn 1000+ calories a day, 500-700 is really the most you need.
  • monoxidechick
    Options

sounds simple, but it doesnt usually work that way!!

I wouldnt worry about eating all of the cals back, just make sure you eat some back. On those days it seems almost impossible to eat that much. When I know I am going to workout a ton, I try to start my day off with a rather large breakfast, almonds for snack, a large lunch and then wait until after the workout to eat a big dinner and maybe a nightime snack. Smoothies can pack a calorie punch if you make them right and usualy I dont feel super full after. Depends on what time you work out though also. I would say, try your hardest and listen to your body as well.

Good luck and looking forward to some other answers and suggestions from others.
  • topazzzoe
    topazzzoe Posts: 12
    Options
    You can always not burn so many calories. There's no need to burn 1000+ calories a day, 500-700 is really the most you need.

This happens when I take a class. ie kickboxing, spinning ect... I really enjoy them and they only last an hour. I have thought about leaving early but it seems I would lose the benefits.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This might be a silly question, but burning 1000 calories in one hour sounds a bit high to me, do you have a HRM so you know that is an accurate burn? It seems most intense cardio sessions will burn about 600calories in an hour, I know its different for every body.. just a thought!

If you like nuts, they are an easy way to add in a couple hundred extra calories a day!
  • JoyfulJC
    JoyfulJC Posts: 18 Member
    Options

This is completely incorrect. You are supposed to eat your exercise calories because MFP already gives you a calorie deficit. So even if you didn't exercise and met your calorie goal you would still lose weight.

I've lots 62 lbs (the healthy way) and did so buy working with my dietitian and personal trainer. I don't use the formula that MFP recommends, I enter my own "custom" data based on my needs and my base metabolic rate.

Regardless you shouldn't be gorging yourself to eat the extra calories that you burn in a workout. You need to listen to your body and if her body is telling her that she isn't hungry then she shouldn't eat.
  • clairelane1982
    Options

I've lots 62 lbs (the healthy way) and did so buy working with my dietitian and personal trainer. I don't use the formula that MFP recommends, I enter my own "custom" data based on my needs and my base metabolic rate.

Regardless you shouldn't be gorging yourself to eat the extra calories that you burn in a workout. You need to listen to your body and if her body is telling her that she isn't hungry then she shouldn't eat.
    THis what i think i have settled on...... i have followed the formula and eaten back my exercise cals and have either gained or stayed the same..... if i do not eat them back this is when i have a successful week... my personal opinion....