OVER 100 LBS LOST?

Options
Hello! My name is Erika, I am in the process of trying to lose over 100 lbs. I am looking for others that have accomplished this or are trying to and that I can add as friends on here that can help keep me focused and on track. Also a few questions: How long did it take you to lose 100 lbs? What did you change first? How long have you kept it off? How do you feel now? Would love to hear from any and everyone who has been down this road I am going down. Thanks for all the support!

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    good luck on your journey

My journey took about 18 months. I have kept it off for going on 8 months.

29509743.png
  • erikakane214
    erikakane214 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jrline that is great! I look forward to seeing the success you have!
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of losing over 100 pounds. I've lost about 45 so far. My goal weight is between 125 and 115 but I started at 226, although I was probably over that weight at some point before I started my 'journey'. For me it's been slow going, but only because I've fallen off the wagon a few times, but I'm determined to make this time a success. Third time's the charm, right? haha Feel free to add me if you wish. I'm pretty active on here during the week.

Anything is possible with a little determination! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • erikakane214
    Options
    Erilynn93 I know what you mean, I started really trying in May and only lost about 15 lbs and I know had I kept it up I would have been about 50 lbs down by now. :\ But hey I just got to keep pushing no matter what! Thanks for the input!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks stay positive and work towards your goal daily. Also drink plenty water it helped me to not have lots of excess skin after losing that much.

29509743.png
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose over 100 pounds and currently I have lost about 42 pounds since last Christmas. I took a few months off while coaching and on an epic road trip. I didn't eat the greatest or exercise as much as I should have and my weight fluctuated by a few pounds up or down for those months. In a way I regret not trying to lose weight during that time because I would have lost more weight, but it just serves as a reminder of why I can't take breaks like that and how it delays me from reaching my goal. I think slow and steady will win the "race." Feel free to add me as a friend. I try to be on here at least once a day and offer encouragement.
  • erikakane214
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    My goal is to lose over 100 pounds and currently I have lost about 42 pounds since last Christmas. I took a few months off while coaching and on an epic road trip. I didn't eat the greatest or exercise as much as I should have and my weight fluctuated by a few pounds up or down for those months. In a way I regret not trying to lose weight during that time because I would have lost more weight, but it just serves as a reminder of why I can't take breaks like that and how it delays me from reaching my goal. I think slow and steady will win the "race." Feel free to add me as a friend. I try to be on here at least once a day and offer encouragement.

thanks! I agree with you: slow and steady DOES win the race. Every time I tried to diet, I would just do it for about 2 days and give up and binge. Then when I made small changes and kept up with calories and moved more, I dropped 15 lbs. I wasn't consistent but I am glad that I did not gain the 15 back which proves that slower weight loss is better for the long term. Thanks for the feedback!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of losing 130 pounds. I have 65 pounds of it off. The first thing I changed was my eating habits. Then I added exercise. I don't drink enough water (I know it's horrible) so I often gain weight back if I am having a really bad week, but I am able to get it off again within a few days with excess pounds off. I am projecting to have 100 pounds off in total of 18 months. I am not trying to be extreme with my weight loss because I want the skin to shrink back as much as possible.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    It took me just over a year. You can do this!!!
  • Isagirl72
    Isagirl72 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i lost my first 100 right under 6 months I am now @ 150+ lbs down... :D feel free to connect with me! Good Luck girl you've got this!
  • erikakane214
    Options
    I'm in the process of losing 130 pounds. I have 65 pounds of it off. The first thing I changed was my eating habits. Then I added exercise. I don't drink enough water (I know it's horrible) so I often gain weight back if I am having a really bad week, but I am able to get it off again within a few days with excess pounds off. I am projecting to have 100 pounds off in total of 18 months. I am not trying to be extreme with my weight loss because I want the skin to shrink back as much as possible.

that's awesome! I actually need to lose 144 lbs but I am starting with 100 as my main goal. Once I make that I can work on the rest. Thanks so much for the input! I know at 65 lb loss I will be feeling amazing. Keep up the good word, you inspired me!

• erikakane214
    Options
    It took me just over a year. You can do this!!!

Thank you so much!!! :) I know I can, too! I am ready to make this change!
  • erikakane214
    Options
    Isagirl72 wrote: »
    i lost my first 100 right under 6 months I am now @ 150+ lbs down... :D feel free to connect with me! Good Luck girl you've got this!

Oh wow that's amazing & inspiring!!! Thank you so much!

• Nepq
    Nepq Posts: 10 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I lost about 45 kg (99 pounds), so I can't help you, sorry haha ;)
    It took me about 400 days. At the moment I'm on my goal weight and trying to reduce my body fat and maintaining my weight.

Most important thing, that worked for me, is to start slowly and don't be to strict on yourself/diet in the beginning.
  • erikakane214
    Options
    Nepq wrote: »
    I lost about 45 kg (99 pounds), so I can't help you, sorry haha ;)
    It took me about 400 days. At the moment I'm on my goal weight and trying to reduce my body fat and maintaining my weight.

Most important thing, that worked for me, is to start slowly and don't be to strict on yourself/diet in the beginning.

lol! thanks for responding, and I agree; Starting slowly seems less overwhelming. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to this new chapter of my life!

• missct234
    Options
    I need to lose about 140-150. I have lost 100 in the past by doing very rigid plans, but did not keep it all off. Then I had a lapband and lost 70, keeping 55 off. (I think I had over 50 pounds prior to this all starting ..I couldn't weigh myself because I weighed over 350....a lot over 350....so.....I am about 100 pounds down from where I started. I have lost 7 pounds in the last 2-3 weeks. I am currently using cal to lose 1.5 pounds a week..alternating with cal to lose 2 pounds a week...alternating weeks. I think this may just boost my metabolism.I am also hoping to get the money to start swimming daily at a local pool. Moderate swimming of laps burns almost 1000 cal in an hour!!!! I would really feel great then. SO there is my long answer...to ...I want to join with y;all as well.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I"m in the process of losing over 100 lbs. I was doing Medifast and lost about 50 lbs doing it but when I couldn't take in anymore (always hungry - you eat less than 1000 calories a day, couldn't exercise how I wanted - I now am able to do aqua strength, elliptical, and the bike no problem, and always tired), I gained most of it back because I had deprived my body so badly. This time around, I'm exercising, getting enough water, and doing a low carb diet. This is something I am able to maintain and if I have a high carb day, it doesn't really affect my progress, just makes me tired. I really started doing the low carb at the end of August and have lost 20 lbs so far. I'm losing about 2-3 lbs a week but I'm eating well and making sure I get all my nutrients. I'm sure that my weight loss will even out at some point in time but I'm enjoying it for now.
  • erikakane214
    Options
    missct234 wrote: »
    I need to lose about 140-150. I have lost 100 in the past by doing very rigid plans, but did not keep it all off. Then I had a lapband and lost 70, keeping 55 off. (I think I had over 50 pounds prior to this all starting ..I couldn't weigh myself because I weighed over 350....a lot over 350....so.....I am about 100 pounds down from where I started. I have lost 7 pounds in the last 2-3 weeks. I am currently using cal to lose 1.5 pounds a week..alternating with cal to lose 2 pounds a week...alternating weeks. I think this may just boost my metabolism.I am also hoping to get the money to start swimming daily at a local pool. Moderate swimming of laps burns almost 1000 cal in an hour!!!! I would really feel great then. SO there is my long answer...to ...I want to join with y;all as well.

wow, 1000 calories an hour! I def need to look into that. I had lap band in 2007 and lost 90 lbs, I felt great but gradually gained back about 40 lbs. I had them over fill the band and ended up having a slip so they took all the saline out and I regained the 90 lbs plus another 24. : :(
  • erikakane214
    Options
    smedlund wrote: »
    I"m in the process of losing over 100 lbs. I was doing Medifast and lost about 50 lbs doing it but when I couldn't take in anymore (always hungry - you eat less than 1000 calories a day, couldn't exercise how I wanted - I now am able to do aqua strength, elliptical, and the bike no problem, and always tired), I gained most of it back because I had deprived my body so badly. This time around, I'm exercising, getting enough water, and doing a low carb diet. This is something I am able to maintain and if I have a high carb day, it doesn't really affect my progress, just makes me tired. I really started doing the low carb at the end of August and have lost 20 lbs so far. I'm losing about 2-3 lbs a week but I'm eating well and making sure I get all my nutrients. I'm sure that my weight loss will even out at some point in time but I'm enjoying it for now.

Wow you are doing great! I am taking small steps, not drinking as much soda, drinking more water, eating more of the good stuff even though I still eat some of the bad stuff. Just getting the feel for eating better and moving more. I lost 15 lbs by counting calories and exercise even though I still indulged in my favorite foods.

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I started off a little bigger than you at 340 lbs. It took me about a 13 months to get to my original goal of 170. I then lost a little more while figuring out maintenance, so I am currently about 145 lbs - but I made pretty drastic changes to my diet and was under a doctor's care the whole time.

It's hard to tell you what to change first as I don't know you or your lifestyle. For me, all I focused on in the beginning was my diet. I stopped takeout and finally learned how to cook and appreciate my vegetables (and all food) Not to say that you can't occasionally eat out, but you should have more control on what you are eating. Along the way, my tastes changed so before I would have told you that I hated vegetables, now just about every meal I eat has vegetables.

Once I started eating better and doing it more regularly, and started losing, I started walking - Now I do walk daily for 2-3 miles, but in the beginning, it was just anything I could do and then as I started losing then I was able to keep going.

Drink lots of water :) it is good for you.

I would tell you to talk to your GP, they generally are pretty helpful and can advise you the right and wrong way to approach things. (although, it did take me a while to realize this... mostly I just tried not to visibly roll my eyes when she talked about dieting)

I wish you luck on your journey