Fitbit - pros and cons

Options

Replies

• ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and love it. I have had it about 2 years now (since shortly after they came out.) I had the Ultra before that. The Ultra clipped on my bra but I found it to be uncomfortable, depending on the bra. (ie: Some bras have bows or embellishments on them and the clip doesn;t clip too well.) Also, I almost lost the Ultra a few times as it fell off. I have 6 different color bands for my Flex and swap them all of the time. I don't have red or purple yet but plan on getting those as well. I find it to be very accurate, very comfortable and very durable. I wear it on my left wrist, non dominant. I also wear a watch at the same time and wear bracelets on my right arm. I find it to be very accurate. I have it connected to my smart phone (Samsung Galaxy) and MFP. I upload throughout the day either on my computer or my phone to track my progress. Getting everything set up was a little bit of a pain, but once set up is great! I'm on the road a lot, so it's nice to be able to click on the phone app. I clean the connections with alcohol often as it can get dirty since I wear it all of the time. I did have an issue in the beginning. There is a reset button on it that you hit with a paperclip. I did that a couple of times and also got an update and no problems since at all. I paid extra the first year for the premium service, but did not renew and don't miss it really. I think I am going to stick with this for a while and eventually when I upgrade will upgrade to maybe a Smart Watch. (I am waiting for more selections and the price to come down.) I have had zero problems with inaccuracy. Gives me steps when I walk, moving arms or not. I put my height and weight in there and the distance is very accurate. I even put it in my purse (I went to a wedding and was dressed up) and the steps were counted!
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just a FYI if you plan on buying the Flex. You cant see the display only blinking lights-one lights up for every 20% of your goal. Most of us know this, but I planned on using my smart phone to check my progress during the day. The problem is that their application only works with a few smartphones. Mostly iPhone and Samsung. they have a webpage where you can see if your phone is on the list. Just a heads up if you planned on checking your steps mid day without logging on to the computer. The other models allow you to see the steps.
    I also have a fitbit zip..I love that one, but its so tiny and I always left it in the laundry. My battery on the zip lasted about 9 months, the replacement batteries are about $5 for 2 at walgreens.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I have a friend who is on her 4th one because she's managed to break them all with her active lifestyle. That was enough for me to take it off the table as a consideration when I decided I wanted some sort of activity monitor.
  • Janette3x4
    Options
    I purchased a flex 2 1/2 months ago. Loved it until it stopped working! Now, trying to deal with customer service is making me feel like I don't want to own one again. They only send computer generated replies and today even after I sent them pictures (twice!) of the receipt, the flex, the box it came in and a detailed account of what's wrong they sent me an email saying that my new black band was on its way! I just had to send them another email stating again what is wrong (its the battery!) and that I have already tried everything they recommended I do to trouble shoot. Argh! I am almost ready to give up and kiss the $109 goodbye!
  • cottoncandyclover
    cottoncandyclover Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just picked up the fitbit zip today. I have been wanting one for some time now but I did not have the money. My local Target had the blue one on clearance for $29 so I went ahead a picked it up. I wanted the flex but I figured that the zip will do.
  • madzique
    madzique Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my fit bit. I haven't had any issues. It stays charged for seven days and I find it to be very accurate. Only issue is I wish that when you input water intake on mfp it would transfer and vice versa.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    <<My battery on the zip lasted about 9 months, the replacement batteries are about $5 for 2 at walgreens.>>

That was my logic for buying the Zip--batteries are cheap, and if a battery lasts 6 months, it would take 10 years to spend the difference between the Zip and the One, and surely by then there will be some other better gadget I want. I'd say maybe my Zip was just a lemon, but FitBit replaced it three times, and each of the four Zips I had ate through a battery in a matter of weeks. I will say that FitBit was extremely willing to replace the Zip each time, and they gave me a refund when it was no longer under warranty. Anyway, I like the size/shape of the One a little better.
  • Janette3x4
    Options
    Update: I just received an email stating that they are shipping an entirely new set up. Yay???? Free of any charge. Hopefully the new one will last a long time.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i've had the scales and flex wristband for the past month or so.. i weigh every day , it counts steps only if your arm is swinging so if your pushing a pram ,trolly or carrying or holding someones hand it doesnt count the steps or stairs or cycling or any workouts really and it doesn't do your heart rate .. didi i mention it also has a design flaw with the charging dock , i had 'nt had mine a month when i had problems charging it (there's an instruction video to clean it and they suggest using paper clips and elastic bands to hold the flex in the dock to make it charge its so common) and then I got firmwear errors.. So no i wouldnt recommend it and i would get back my money if i could.

other then cleaning the contacts (which is pretty normal - how else would you design an otherwise waterproof gadget?) and it not measuring HR (wouldn't be accurate much on a wrist anyways) I can't agree with all of the above. Based on my own experience it measures steps even when pushing a trolly or carrying stuff around.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and I love it, totally recommend it. Their customer support is fabulous as well.
  • Honeyjar66
    Options
    Thanks for all your input...I did go to Best Buy (Canada) on the weekend to check out these little items. So now the decision is whether to buy the bit at $59 or the one at $99. I don't need to track my sleep. I think I sleep pretty well. I only really want it for counting steps. I will probably go with the cheaper one for now or wait and add it to my wish list for Christmas. Unless I can find it on sale before then.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and thoughts.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Flex for two days now and it's a decent motivational tool. Not entirely accurate as it is engineered to track walking/running and stride mechanics. I've been using Polar heart rate monitors for years and find this far more motivating for workouts, but the Flex is a nice addition and definitely pushes one to walk more to hit that goal.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip, which I wear pretty much all the time, and a Polar HRM which I trust more for running.

I sync everything to MFP, and track my calories, and eat everything back. To date, my weight-loss averages out to almost exactly the amount I put in my plan. I adjust my plan, and the weight-loss follows... guess sometimes it's nice to be so average that all the models and calculations Just Work. :smile:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input...I did go to Best Buy (Canada) on the weekend to check out these little items. So now the decision is whether to buy the bit at $59 or the one at $99. I don't need to track my sleep. I think I sleep pretty well. I only really want it for counting steps. I will probably go with the cheaper one for now or wait and add it to my wish list for Christmas. Unless I can find it on sale before then.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and thoughts.

If you just want one strictly for counting your steps, a regular (and much cheaper) pedometer will work as well and sometimes better than a fitbit.

I do have a flex and the only issue I have is that it overestimates the number of calories I need to eat to lose weight. But that is more likely because I have a slower metabolism than someone of my age, weight, height and gender.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I had a zip for almost a year before I washed it for the 2nd time and it stopped working, I now have the one and love it. It's just a guide for me, I know it's not 100% correct but it does motivate me.

I also have a polar watch for the gym and a running watch which has it's own activity tracker (garmin f15) but don't use it as a tracker as I don't want to wear a HRM all the time to get an accurate reading.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Love mine and the Aria scale. It has helped me tremendously. I have a desk job so I use it to help motivate me to move. I have it set now for negative calorie adjustments. This helps motivate me to get up early for a quick walk before work.
  • s00z22
    s00z22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi folks - just got my ARIA but confusing. The first time I step on it, it weighs me heavier. The second and subsequent times I step on it (in the same weigh in session) I am almost always down a pound+ from the initial step. ANyone else?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit. Would replace it instantly if it broke. I bought it nearly two years ago and thought I'd only have it for a couple of months to help work out my TDEE....
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    After having used both the One and the Flex (and I have the scale)
    I can honestly say, you're better off getting the One.
    The Flex has a short battery life compared to the One. Since I walk outside with my son, pushing him in a stroller would mean I would have to move my band from my wrist to my shoe if I want my steps to get counted. Random times during the day, my Flex would go into "sleep mode" if I'm going shopping (pushing a cart would do that) or even clapping my hands during a meeting.
    I actually ended up buying an off brand charger after the headache the factory charger would give me. Same with the factory bands, they always fell apart even though I wore them loose and the larger size! Getting off brand bands were way less expensive, but were more reliable.
    The One tracks how many stairs you climb as well, the Flex does not.
    And if you don't have a problem with batteries, I would look into the Zip...

I just got a replacement Flex and gave it away to get another One (both I've had to replace after they just stopped working after a year of use), however, contacting FitBit support, they do not hesitate sending out replacement trackers, for free, after they walk you through the troubleshooting steps.

I like the One because it does everything the Flex does with the two exceptions:
    It does not vibrate when you reach your daily goal
    It does not light up to show your activity, BUT the One DOES have a display to show how active you are (when you keep pushing the button)

I love my One, and if you do plan on getting one, you can get it from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. Both of my FitBits were purchased from Amazon and after sending the receipt to customer service, they still hooked me up with a new tracker :smile:

Good luck!