Eggs v. Egg Whites

Options

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I always eat fresh whole eggs, but I don't have them very often... it's a weekend thing, and I don't always have the inclination to cook 'em. Dr. Oz doesn't dictate my choice. :D
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites daily. Ill still have a whole egg here and there, but whites = 0 fat. Not worried about the cholesterol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm biased toward whole foods and eating whole eggs is part of that, especially since the yolks are nutritious and tasty. However, on occasion I misjudge the amount of veggies to put in my omelet or need to boost my protein a bit without adding many calories, and supplementing the omelet with egg whites from the carton rather than another full egg works great for that.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol isn't bad for you. Fat isn't bad for you. Read the science.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I usually eat two hardboiled whole eggs and plus two egg whites broken up and mixed together with some soy sauce. This way I get extra protein without much of a difference in taste, cholesterol, and calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me it's a question of taste and calories. I don't like whole eggs with spinach, but love spinach egg white omelets, for example. But if I have ham and onions I like having the yolk.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Current studies show that the cholesterol in foods will have little to no impact on blood serum levels. There is no reason to not eat the whole egg. Stop living in fear.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Current studies show that the cholesterol in foods will have little to no impact on blood serum levels. There is no reason to not eat the whole egg. Stop living in fear.

This. Whole eggs taste great and are a convenient snack without doing anything to them (other than boiling). Egg whites are convenient as well - I like adding them to a whole egg for scrambled egg (I like the texture of the combo), and to baked goods when I run out of whole eggs. Plus the box takes up less room in the fridge than a carton of eggs.

For dietary advice in general I go to the Harvard School of Public Health Nutrition Source. It's based on cited studies and is easy to navigate and full of common sense.

• PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Eating egg whites, means more grams of fat to put towards eating peanut butter hnnnnnnnng
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    xaxmisc wrote: »
    Eating egg whites, means more grams of fat to put towards eating peanut butter hnnnnnnnng

Yup
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Eat which ever fits better in your daily diary.
    Some days I do just egg whites (low fat days), some days I do whole eggs (where I do higher fat days).

+1

I separate my egg yolks from the whites as I think it tastes much better than the pourable version.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Personally, I could eat a gallon of those liquid egg whites and still be hungry. It's like eating air! A whole egg definitely does more for me in terms of satiety. But that's just me- some people don't like the taste of the yolk or just prefer whites. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the cholesterol concern though.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    Is it a better idea to eat egg whites (from the pourable carton) than regular eggs containing yolk? Even considering the cholesterol content (1 egg is 65% of daily recommended dose of cholesterol while whites are 0%). Are you missing out on much by not eating the yolk presuming it is within your calorie limits?
    I eat whole eggs, and if i need an extra protein boost less the calories, I may add in 4 egg whites.
    Don't fear eggs; dietary fat is healthy! Eggs have been given a bad rap through the years.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I eat a portion of whole eggs once a week. I have tried whites alone recently, and they are not my favorite thing to eat,texture wise. If I had high cholesterol I'd eat them though.
  • WhizGidget
    WhizGidget Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I add a hard boiled egg to my salads, and not just the egg white now. I don't care about the cholesterol, I care about the *iron*. If you're not eating enough leafy greens or other stuff to naturally absorb iron (I hate supplements), that egg yolk helps a little bit.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I read the summary of the research from the Harvard School of Public Health and I think several of the posters here have taken the results of the studies out of context by saying that dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood cholesterol in humans.

In the principle study examining several thousand nurses, the nurses ate one egg per day presumably with little to no other sources of dietary cholesterol (thus their daily intake was less than 100mg). These nurses did not develop any increase in serum cholesterol.

Those claiming that it is okay to eat something in the order of thousands of milligrams of cholesterol per day are exaggerating the results and taking them to an extreme the researchers never intended. The School of Public Health even cautions that exceeding daily recommended values of fatty meat, eggs, whole diary products, butter, etc. is not wise and will likely adversely affect cardiovascular health. Thus, the effects of exceeding the daily recommended value of cholesterol is unknown. It appears that people want to break the seemingly medieval connection that fat makes you gain fat and that dietary cholesterol causes blood cholesterol (and by medieval I mean the reasoning that if a certain herb looks like and ear, it must treat ear aches), but there is at least some if not a cogent truth in that reasoning as to dietary fat and dietary cholesterol.
  • cranberrytape
    cranberrytape Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm young and I don't need to worry about my cholesterol right now. I'll take the whole egg, please.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You don't get high cholesterol from eating foods with cholesterol. You get high cholesterol from eating foods that are high in Saturated Fats. Have 1 whole egg and add egg whites to that
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,937 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    I read the summary of the research from the Harvard School of Public Health and I think several of the posters here have taken the results of the studies out of context by saying that dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood cholesterol in humans.

In the principle study examining several thousand nurses, the nurses ate one egg per day presumably with little to no other sources of dietary cholesterol (thus their daily intake was less than 100mg). These nurses did not develop any increase in serum cholesterol.

Those claiming that it is okay to eat something in the order of thousands of milligrams of cholesterol per day are exaggerating the results and taking them to an extreme the researchers never intended. The School of Public Health even cautions that exceeding daily recommended values of fatty meat, eggs, whole diary products, butter, etc. is not wise and will likely adversely affect cardiovascular health. Thus, the effects of exceeding the daily recommended value of cholesterol is unknown. It appears that people want to break the seemingly medieval connection that fat makes you gain fat and that dietary cholesterol causes blood cholesterol (and by medieval I mean the reasoning that if a certain herb looks like and ear, it must treat ear aches), but there is at least some if not a cogent truth in that reasoning as to dietary fat and dietary cholesterol.
    Er, no.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i eat four whole eggs a day and my cholesterol is fine…I also add in some egg whites to that to get more calories/protein….