Cardio: all at once or throughout the day?

Options
I have the energy to do 2-3 hours of cardio a day. My question is should I do all two hours at once or should I do one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Geeze louise. I don't know. Can you give me some of your cardio energy?
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wanna do my cardio too? Please? :#

To answer your question; whatever fits your schedule. Doesn't matter which you choose unless there's more to the question.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you have the time and the energy and you enjoy it, it doesn't matter. But I can't think of any goal that would necessitate 2 to 3 hours of cardio a day. My personal opinion, based on personal experience, is that you'd be better off lifting weights for an hour and sleeping for an hour.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ItsCasey wrote: »
    If you have the time and the energy and you enjoy it, it doesn't matter. But I can't think of any goal that would necessitate 2 to 3 hours of cardio a day. My personal opinion, based on personal experience, is that you'd be better off lifting weights for an hour and sleeping for an hour.

Agree with this.

OP why on earth do you want to do so much cardio? Are you doing weights as well?

Will this be seven days a week? Wont you be bothered you might burn out?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have the energy to do 2-3 hours of cardio a day. My question is should I do all two hours at once or should I do one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening?

Definitely all at once, all throughout the day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Nit sure that makes sense, but why?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Obviously
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I like to break it up with an hour first thing in the morning, then hit strength training in early afternoon. Right after supper. I take an hour hike in the woods by my house.
    My exercise is a lifestyle - not a 3 hour grind.

• KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Must be amazing to have so much energy :smile:

Why not increase the intensity to burn off your energy faster? Go faster/more uphill/higher resistance, or add in some HIIT or weight training. Unless you have a spare three hours each day that you want to spend on cardio (feel free to come and speed-vacuum my house, if so :wink: )
  • dbmata
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Nit sure that makes sense, but why?

Ok, I'll give the long form. ;)

If you have that much energy, use it hard. If you can handle 2-3 hours of cardio? You can pound an extremely intense session for half the time. If that energy comes back, do a second session.

The big thing though, deplete as much and as hard as you can in one session. If there is enough left in the tank to go for another hour? Another half hour? Work. Harder.

That's all. :)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    ItsCasey wrote: »

Agree with this.

OP why on earth do you want to do so much cardio? Are you doing weights as well?

Will this be seven days a week? Wont you be bothered you might burn out?

+1
    did 2-3 hours cardio over last 3 months to lose 40+ lbs.goal achieved.
    now i am weaker and slower.
    add strength training asap.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    However you like, but I hope you are eating enough calories to fuel these long workouts, as well as getting enough protein and doing some form of strength training to help preserve muscle.
  • brimoonandstars
    brimoonandstars Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! To answer the most common questions posed to me....yes, I eat enough calories and protein for these workouts. No I have not started strength training but its been something I've been thinking of starting soon. And I have no idea where I get all this energy. haha :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's your objective?

If its not sports performance it doesnt seem valuable use of time.
  • brimoonandstars
    brimoonandstars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What's your objective?

If its not sports performance it doesnt seem valuable use of time.

How does it not seem a valuable use of time??

• dbmata
    Options
    Seriously? Did you just ask that bri?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How does it not seem a valuable use of time??

If you're going to spend three hours training, exploit the opportunity to do both resistance training and CV work. If you're only doing CV work, presumably on a hamster wheel rather than outside running or a bike, then you're getting minimal benefit to anything except your cardiac base.

Personally I'll do a three hour long run once a week, or a three to four hour ride. My other sessions will be shorter, but at higher paces, or interval work or hill work, to give me other outcomes; improvements to VO2 Max, Lactate Threshold or techncial proficiency on the trail. But then I'm wanting to improve my running and riding performance.

My objectives are pace and distance related.