Fitbit - pros and cons

Options
13»

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and love it. I've found it to be VERY accurate at counting steps whether I'm jogging, walking, or pushing the stroller. I haven't had any issues with charging, but I a friend who also has one has complained about the charging, so it may be a somewhat common issue. I sync it to MFP but try not to eat back those exercise calories since I think they're somewhat inflated.
    The only con is that after months of wearing it constantly (even in the shower), it started to smell kinda gross, even though I washed the contacts with alcohol fairly frequently. So I just bought some new, colorful bands at Amazon for less than $10. I really want the Tory Burch (spelling?) strap that goes with it, but it's expensive so I think I'll ask for it for Christmas :)
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to look into getting a FitBit. But I don't understand. HOW does it motivate you? Someone mentioned buzzing. Does it buzz you to remind you to get up off the couch? Or does the motivation come from logging onto your computer to see your calories in/calories out?
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    adoll127 wrote: »
    I had gotten the Force for Christmas last year, it was neat for awhile and then I was very happy for the recall so I could send it back.
    I felt like it was just a very expensive pedometer and it wasn't all that accurate. Something to keep in mind if you look at a wrist one - any time you're carring something, pushing a cart at the store, etc where you can't move your arm, you will not get credit for your steps. The calorie count is not at all accurate either so don't believe that too much. For me, it just wasn't really right, I sent it back and put the money towards a HRM, which I love - I know some people love their fitbits too.If it's worth getting really depends on what you're hoping to get from it - that is usually what I ask people in posts like this, and then it's easier to help you decide if it's a good option for you.

I actually disagree. Mine counts my steps even if im not moving my arm at all. I have tested it for that and I find it is very accurate.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit force. It does register my steps if my arm is not swinging, also it registers if I am pushing a cart too, I guess it 'feels' the bump of my steps? Anyway, I really love it and have worn it every day since last Christmas.

I like that it monitors my sleep, the silent buzzing alarm on my wrist to wake me up gently without waking my husband, the screen has just enough light to see my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night if I press the button, I love the buzzing to let me know I reached my goal. Floor counting doesn't seem very accurate though.

I take it off when I do yoga, strength training, riding my bike or running because I wear my heart rate monitor for those, but I keep it on for dog walking and for everything else. I really love the interface of the android phone app, and the website, very user friendly and easy on the eye.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip. I got it on the suggestion of my Doctor and it was only $50 so I thought, what the heck. It really is helpful. On the days when I'm lazy and not doing much if I look at that thing and go, "What? only 3,000 steps?" I get my butt up and take a walk. It works.
  • dstidham63
    dstidham63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/activity-tracker-review.html

I would go for the Polar M400 which is brand new and combines for roughly $200 an activity tracker plus a multisportswatch. See above.

I have the fitbit One and the Polar RCX5 multisportswatch with heart rate monitor. The above combines both for a superb price.
    Stef.

If you're interested in swimming and tracking heart rate the Polar M400 isn't a choice for swimming/water activities. Though, while it is waterproofed, it won’t give you heart rate underwater, as it only supports Bluetooth Smart heart rate transmission and not the analog frequency used on other water-friendly watches. The other drawback to the M400, as an activity tracker, is the battery life is projected at 13 hours with the GPS feature enabled.