Why are dumbbell deadlifts referred to as such when ..

Options
..nearly everywhere I look on the web I am instructed to not touch the floor at the end of each rep? (one example: http://dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/back/index.html#5 look at deadlift and stiff legged deadlift). How are these true deadlifts? Is it just to simply make up for the lack of height that dumbbells offer compared to using a barbell? I do have to bend my knees more in order to place the bells on the floor; is doing this bad for me? I keep my back straight and it just feels like I'm doing a deep squat. I didn't really give my form much thought for a while (b/c I thought I was doing everything right) until today when I was looking at deadlift videos on youtube for the hell of it.

Also, I've been doing dumbbell DLs with the bells placed in front of me in a straight line. What is with all the different positions? Some say to place the dumbbells at your side, others say to have them at a 45 degree angle and others say to keep them in front. Is there any difference between these positions in terms of different muscles being worked or is it just a matter of preference?

I do both barbell and dumbbell deadlifts. Sometimes I don't have access to a bar and prefer the dumbbell ones. I am just curious as to whether my form is 100% correct.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Probably to make up for the extra ROM needed as compared to BB.
    Not all BB DL touch the floor. Romanian Dead Lifts for example start at the top and just go past the knees.

You should definitely should not be squatting while DLing. It is all about the hip hinge. The only dead lift that is in a semi squat position is a Jefferson DL which I am sure you are not doing .

I don't do DB DL so I can't answer your other questions.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Barbell (aka conventional) deadlifts with olympic plates means the bar starts about eight and a half inches off the ground. Unless the dumbbells are 45lb-plate sized, the ROM is significantly different.
  • lupa1979
    lupa1979 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So should I start not touching the weights to the floor when doing dumbbell DLs? Or just keep doing what I'm doing?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lupa1979 wrote: »
    So should I start not touching the weights to the floor when doing dumbbell DLs? Or just keep doing what I'm doing?

That would be up to you, and what you're trying to do, I'd surmise.

Personally, I'd stop DB deadlifts, and just use a barbell.
  • lupa1979
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Yes, that's what I would prefer to do as well but during certain situations I don't have access to a bar and don't want to skip my deadlifts. I love them, lol. I just don't wanna find out that I've been doing them horribly wrong, hence the form questions. :)

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Based on my limited experience I don't believe you should be going all the way to the floor for dumbbell deadlifts. Here's the directions I have been using http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/stiff-legged-dumbbell-deadlift
    I've noticed if I drop to far down I start to impact my lower back in a negative way. Hope this helps.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Touching the floor during a DB DL is akin to doing a deficit deadlift with a barbell. It can be done, but you're potentially putting more stress on your lower back. Most people would go lighter in this situation, as a result.
  • KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could also try putting the dumbbells down onto a step (if the dumbbells aren't too heavy). Like the others said, I think it's a range of motion thing - not many people could keep good form and put the dumbbells on the floor.

The deadlift shouldn't look like a squat, regardless. Have a look at exrx for some gifs showing proper form. Deadlifts should involve a flat back moving from horizontal to vertical, hinging at the hip. Squats keep a near-vertical back and bend at the knee.
  • dbmata
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Touching the floor during a DB DL is akin to doing a deficit deadlift with a barbell. It can be done, but you're potentially putting more stress on your lower back. Most people would go lighter in this situation, as a result.

There's also a matter of being flexible enough to do it without rounding the back.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Yes, that's what I would prefer to do as well but during certain situations I don't have access to a bar and don't want to skip my deadlifts. I love them, lol. I just don't wanna find out that I've been doing them horribly wrong, hence the form questions. :)
    naw, I feel ya. I love the hell out of DLs.

Myself? I'd go deep, but keep my back properly arched, and not worry about touching the ground.

I'd save that for when I'm twerking at the club. (Yeah, I do it.)
  • lupa1979
    Options
    Alright, thx for all the tips, guys. I do keep my back straight but bend more at the knees like a squat. My back doesn't feel very strained after. In fact, it's usually moreso my inner thighs that end up showing DOMS symptoms after an intense set of DB DLs. My lower back might feel slightly strained in that case, but it's chill. I guess I'm doing some sort of hybrid squat/deadlift move, lol. I just thought that I'd look dumb if I didn't touch them to the ground. I'll try them again while doing the suggestions I saw here. Thanks again :)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The DL videos I have watched they do bend the knee I am sure?
  • lupa1979
    Options
    KatJ_NZ wrote: »
    You could also try putting the dumbbells down onto a step (if the dumbbells aren't too heavy). Like the others said, I think it's a range of motion thing - not many people could keep good form and put the dumbbells on the floor.

The deadlift shouldn't look like a squat, regardless. Have a look at exrx for some gifs showing proper form. Deadlifts should involve a flat back moving from horizontal to vertical, hinging at the hip. Squats keep a near-vertical back and bend at the knee.

Cool site!
  • refuseresist
    Options
    From that site, I am doing Romainian deadlift crossed with Sumo Deadlift!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sumomanian!
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Yep, brooooooo.
  • dbmata
    Options
    hqdefault.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

was going to say this- but it's been said. so I got nothing.