Food has consumed my every thought and action.

Options
I have an issue. All I can think about is what food I am going to eat next, how many calories I am going to eat, whether or not a food is healthy or not, and it's starting to become a threat to my life. Has anyone else had a problem with this? I am not overweight, or even chubby, I am rather skinny (I Lost 20 Pounds), but I'm still focused on calories in vs. calories out, and it has been hard to enjoy life! Any suggestions? Please don't tell me to see a psychiatrist, or doctor, because this is a problem I think I may be able to fix on my own!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Get pro help. Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I know you said not to say it, but you really should see your doctor or just get a referral to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. You know you need help or you wouldn't be here asking for it.

The road you're on goes nowhere good.

Bodies need to be nourished. You can do that eating healthy food, but you must eat enough of it.

Try to be strong. Take control of your health and eat enough healthy food. If you can't do it, starting tomorrow and every day for a month, you have to get some professional help.

Good luck.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This isn't something you should try to solve on your own. You definitely need a professional guiding the way.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you think you can solve it on your own, why are you reaching out for help on an internet forum?

I think you should seek help.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What are your hobbies?
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You could set yourself some small goals

Counting calories does get a bit addictive, when I stopped counting I easily went over my daily limit because I became less conscious about what I ate, counting them means I have to stop and think about what I'm eating.

Honestly, I'm struggling to not count calories to keep the weight off. Soon as I stop counting there's a higher chance I overeat. I do know though where my problem lies though and this makes it so much easier to move forward and teach myself how to eat without counting - slowly but surely I will get there, I've improved greatly since I started.

Professional help would be better, but this is just how I deal with all this weight loss and life change stuff. :) Everything is a learning curb if you make it so.

Regarding thinking bout food all the time, maybe a new hobby or a holiday.. something out of routine to get your mind off food?

It doesn't seem like you need help, just more understanding of yourself maybe. It is hard to tell how much it really effects you though.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You could set yourself some small goals

Counting calories does get a bit addictive, when I stopped counting I easily went over my daily limit because I became less conscious about what I ate, counting them means I have to stop and think about what I'm eating.

Honestly, I'm struggling to not count calories to keep the weight off. Soon as I stop counting there's a higher chance I overeat. I do know though where my problem lies though and this makes it so much easier to move forward and teach myself how to eat without counting - slowly but surely I will get there, I've improved greatly since I started.

Professional help would be better, but this is just how I deal with all this weight loss and life change stuff. :) Everything is a learning curb if you make it so.

Regarding thinking bout food all the time, maybe a new hobby or a holiday.. something out of routine to get your mind off food?

It doesn't seem like you need help, just more understanding of yourself maybe. It is hard to tell how much it really effects you though.
  • Upekkha20
    Upekkha20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Seeing someone may be beneficial. But if you think it is something you can solve on your own then go for it!

This has happened to me at times. I think (in many aspects of life) we become so focused on our daily habits that we forget why are performing them. I think your best bet would be to focus more on why you are losing weight. If you are losing weight to train for something, focus on using food as your fuel or a recovery tool. Remember that you eating to take BETTER care of yourself. If eating better is causing you to lose weight but making you unhappy, what is the point!?

Start making gentle requests on yourself to move away from this food attachment. I would say try to be more mindful when your thoughts go to food. Concentrate on other things--progression on your next workout or new activity you can try. Challenge yourself in other ways.

This is probably a habit you formed over a long period of time so it will not change immediately. But if you commit to changing your habits I'm sure you will recognize improvement before you know it!
  • MachiavelliNZ
    MachiavelliNZ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are preoccupied with the health merits of your food and what your next meal is going to be then why not try a different approach: remove the uncertainty and pre-prepare your food.

You could always make a meal plan for the week, go shopping for that food, and then spend some time on Saturday bulk-preparing your food and storing ready-to-eat meal-portions in tupperware containers. That way when you need a meal you just whip out a container and eat that - no uncertainty and no second-guessing!

If you aren't prepared to do that and you don't like the alternative of calculating your food as you eat it then you really have no other choice but to throw away your MFP app altogether and just eat when you feel hungry. Obviously the idea of calculating your intake on the fly is torturing you so give the pre-prepared meals idea a go and see if that feels nicer.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I read on your profile that you're following a vegan diet, which is usually higher in carbs and lower in protein. When I was on a vegan diet, I often felt hungry, and constantly craved carbs. You didn't say you were experiencing cravings, but if you are, I do have a suggestion for you to consider.

The amino acid tyrosine may be lacking in your diet, because the only substantial vegan source is lentils and beans. Tyrosine is essential for the production and release of dopamine. More dopamine means more energy, keener focus, and better appetite control.
    (Diet pills increase dopamine.)

When I began eating more protein and cut added sugars and empty carbs, I noticed a dramatic shift in my thought patterns. I no longer felt compelled to eat, and I gained a greater sense of well being.

Maybe you could ask for a blood test to see if anything is metabolically out of place. B-12? D-3? Please take care of yourself!

• misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There's nothing shameful about seeking professional help. Being healthy involves BOTH your mind and your body - all the healthy eating in the world won't make you happy if anxiety/obsession takes the reigns.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's nothing shameful about seeking professional help. Being healthy involves BOTH your mind and your body - all the healthy eating in the world won't make you happy if anxiety/obsession takes the reigns.

all of this...
  • odinalove1
    odinalove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you need to stop...just talk to someone about it. i find its best to allow food consume your day on a weekend day (just 1 day) as you prep for the food for the week. then try and let go of the thinking and just eat what you have labelled. just don't think, don't buy and don't even check calories.... just eat what you have pre-apportioned to yourself. but still its better to talk to someone, don't worry its a normal problem for people trying to learn what to eat and what not to eat.... and trying to count calories and stuff. it does take its toll