A weight scale that actually works?! Help!

Options
In my house for the longest time we had 2 weight scales. Both with the numbers and the "pointer" thing. They were off though, one being 7lbs over and the other being about 10. It was just annoying to stand there and try to pinpoint exactly where the numbers were.

We got one from WalMart not too long ago, but sure enough it went from saying one weight, to [next use] being 10lbs less. That would be nice, but no. So it was returned and another was bought. Got on it the first time, seemed legit weight. Got on it a second time, said I weight 45lbs less. I wish.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a scale that is NOT going to F up?

Replies

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I bought this glass digital scale from walmart, weight is upto 425 pounds. It's one of the more accurate scales out there. My dad was impressed and he bought one for himself. (it woke my dad up to his actual weight at the time. Didn't realize he was under 300 pounds). Kind of shocked him. Maybe off by .2 but it's more accurate then the 50 dollar weight watchers scale. I remember being frustrated and going through scale after scale until I found my current one.

Costs about 25.00 approximately.

I'll check to see which brand it was when I get home from work, but it's more accurate then any scale I ever bought.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have this one, it has worked for me since 2006. I do believe I even purchased it from Target.

http://tinyurl.com/m3tpd7n

• BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The key thing that causes scales to vary from day to day is being placed no a surface that is not completely flat or has carpet on it. So can I check that your scales are on a flat, hard surface? Secondly, consider who the heaviest person who's going to use the scales is, and make sure your scales will cope with 20% more than that weight (so they aren't stressed by the additional pressure as people climb on them.) Then choose reliable digital scales, not the pointer type. Mine are a brand called Tanita and I've had them for ten years or more. I don't know how reliable they are but they are very consistent from day to day.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    They are all a bit rubbish. Why not just weigh yourself with the same scales about 3-4 times immediately after each other and then take an average?
  • jrpenafiel
    Options
    Here is a tip:
    1. Get a digital scale for better accuracy
    2. Always weigh yourself only ONCE every week, in the morning, after you go to the bathroom( To eliminate any water weight).
    3. Pick a single FLAT surface in your house that will be the permanent position wherein you will weigh yourself.

Now you may be thinking, how will you know if what you weigh in that spot is accurate if the display is showing you different results on a different spot? The answer is: it does not matter. What matters is what you weigh on that spot. That will be your point of reference.
    For example: You weighed 150 lbs on your chosen spot. 2 months later you weighed 130 lbs on that same spot. However, you moved the scale to a different spot and weighed 140 instead of 130. Does it mean you only lost 10lbs? No. You still lost 20lbs. The only difference is on the new spot, you might have weighed 160 instead of 150 two months ago. So the best thing to do is to focus on how much you have lost, not on how much you actually weigh.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    jrpenafiel wrote: »
    Here is a tip:
    1. Get a digital scale for better accuracy

I have a digital scale and it fluctuates just the same as a normal scale.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Produex glass precision electronic scale is the one I have. It works and gives you an accurate weight as mechanical one will only it's digital. best scale I ever bought.