How much do you (realistically) work out a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Cardio:5 hours a week, Heavy lifting: 6 hours a week and yoga/pilates: 2-3 hours a week
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week for just under an hour at a time. I run when I feel like it. I used to run a lot more now it's maybe a couple times a month for about an hour when I do it. I also do little monthly challenges. This month I am doing the 30 day ab challenge. The biggest thing I did though, was start to pay attention to how much I eat and drink.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    I am lifting 4-5 days a week for 45-60 minutes and doing 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and on off days I walk or hike with the kiddos. Something active but easy on the joints and relaxing.

Ahhh how you people do so much cardio? I get really proud if I put in a full 30 minutes.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Just started my newest routine this past week which will include at minimum 3 trips to the gym per week for 30-45 minutes at a time for cardio, in addition to my weekly Zumba class on Thursdays. All depends on how I feel and if I need a rest day. I also walk to and from work from the lot where I park in 3 times a week, and that adds an additional 30 minutes of cardio on top of what I burn at the gym.

Only have a bit more to cut before I start getting into strength training. :) That'll be a whole new animal!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and spin class 4X a week, Pilates 1x a week, and walk 2X a week with 1 day of rest.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    (Last week) since right now its a new Week for me and haven't worked out yet-I worked out 4.26 hours on my workout tabs….about half was resistance on elliptical and walking on very high incline at moderate pace due to not running so much from back issues these day :\ …I have increased my calories and trying to reduce them but i won't reduce too much…i do believe eating too low can be sabotaging myself so I think experimenting a little with various numbers-tricking my metabolism as well will help me get to the best way i feel..I do have significant more energy at higher calories and less caffeine then when i did with low calories and caffeinated regularly and also less shaky-Im naturally very energetic and even green tea can get my hands a little unstable-(not so good on the nervous system)IMHO
    My workouts yes can be intense even for walking let alone elliptical…I do push myself so no I can't chit-chat :) I need to focus- My chest, neck, hair, arms -sweat- i don't like that i sweat so much- sweating i hear is not a factor of a good workout..but my water bottle is almost always empty and out of breath before cool down and so i feel that i do push myself. I do not slow down walking just cause I'm getting tired…not an option-its over eventually so getting it while i can is vital for meh..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ahhh how you people do so much cardio? I get really proud if I put in a full 30 minutes.

It's not hard if you enjoy it. I run 4 x weekly (give or take 1 hr per session) ride my bike whenever I get the chance, row 3 or 4 x weekly (30 to 60 min on average)....all good fun

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I do thai boxing. I aim for 4-5 classes (1 hour each) a week.
    I also walk my dogs , maybe 20-30 mins most days - they are getting on a bit and have joint problems so can't go too far.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

It's not hard if you enjoy it. I run 4 x weekly (give or take 1 hr per session) ride my bike whenever I get the chance, row 3 or 4 x weekly (30 to 60 min on average)....all good fun
    Yup
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i try and do at least 5miles or more jogging/walking every other day.. 3 1hr dumbbell sessions on alternate days and try n get in 8mile cycle rides on my day off. Feels great :)
    As well as trying to fit in 60squats and 100 counter top push ups every day :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Guess so. I was thinking I wish I enjoyed it that much, but it doesn't really matter.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    my 5 hours are 5 cardio classes (step and spin). Lots of fun :)
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have to get back into lifting more-Im so over excessive cardio! Lifting seems to yield more results.
  • bljohnson89
    bljohnson89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work out about 4 times (I aim for more) a week. Usually do a hour of cardio and occasionally some weight training also.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I lift 2 hours a week and run 2-3 hrs a week. My dumb *kitten* signed up for a 5k months ago so I've had to build up to running derp derp. Never again because I like lifting wayyyyy better.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I follow a p90x routine right now, but I do one hour five days a week. Lately I've been subbing out my cardio day for running to prepare for a 5k, and that usually only takes mes 30-40 mins.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Around 6 hours a week. I don't have a set rest day, I just take a rest day every 3 days.
  • mymonica71
    mymonica71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on 7th September 2014 and have really been struggling to see some results - I need to lose 79lb before I can move to maintenance. So I decided that exercise must be added to my daily efforts. I recently got back into swimming after a 25 year break.

I used to swim competitively in my teens and it was like riding a bike - within 4 days I was back into it. I currently do a 1500m freestyle swim each day Monday to Friday which takes me 40 minutes over 60 lengths of a 25m pool. Plus the pool is a distance away from me so I do a brisk 25 minute walk there and back which I use as a warm-up and cool-down. I eat Oats So Simple with skimmed milk before I leave the house so my body has something to work with, and eat a standard Mars bar with hot tea when I get home as an energy boost.

I work every other weekend so on my weekends off I do 90 minutes of Advanced Step on my Wii fit on both Saturday and Sunday.

On my working days I have quit taking the bus and now do a brisk walk there and back which is about 30 minutes each way - and is often quicker than taking the bus!

I probably should do some kind of strength exercises but have chronic back problems, hence why I chose a return to swimming as it is non-weight bearing plus I love it! It also burns calories at a faster rate per minute than running or walking.

My next step is to start taking the stairs instead of the lift. I live on the 7th floor of my apartment block and work on the 5th floor of my business building so it's easier said than done. I did try it out a couple of weeks ago and almost required breathing apparatus at the top!! Since I've got back into the swimming I should try it again in the near future, hopefully with better results.

I hope this helps.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Don't use me for a role model, whatever you do... it's a good week if I walk 30 minutes a day Monday-Friday. I'm focused on cardio for weight loss at the moment (and as you can probably tell, I don't like it), but after I get to goal I plan to get back to some moderate lifting and hopefully swimming 1 or 2 times a week. I have the resources available, I just need to make myself show up and use them.