Still hungry!

Options
Hey all! Im a working adult who has 5 meals a day (3 whole meals,2 snacks) and drinks about 3L of water a day. Even with not too long breaks between having something to eat, I find myself feeling hungry quite often. I'm 171cm tall and weigh about 62.2kg's. I've set my weight loss goal to 0.5kg a week and activity level to sedentary. Based on MFP, my daily calorie intake has to be 1220 which I think due to how hungry I can get sometimes is quite low. Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more fat, protein and fibre to keep you fuller.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Set your goal low to 0.25kg. You don't have much to lose so you need to set it at the minimum
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you have a low BMI and your weight loss is set too high because you can't have that much left to lose

re-set it to 0.5lb a week - add in your exercise calories and eat them
  • keithintokyo
    Options
    Based on your height/weight, I'm getting 2,030 calories as your daily need (using the Harris-Benedict calculator), so dropping a pound a week should mean you get 1,500 calories, not 1,220. That said, I agree with the others - you're probably dropping it too low.

Also, I didn't see any mention of exercise. Are you doing some regular exercise on top of this? If so, you've got to take that into account as well. Add in some strength training, bump the calories up to at least 1,600-1,700, and as mentioned - increase the high protein/high fiber foods and you'll likely stop being hungry. And don't forget to include some healthy fat - it keeps you full longer.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Please, do not eat more fat and protein. Fat is well, fat. Since when does fat make you feel full? Too much protein in your diet is acidic and will enflame your digestive tract.
    If you want the most amount of food for the calories, eat more fruit! Veggies, potatoes, and some beans are good too but the more fruit, the better.
    You will have so much more energy going vegan ❤️
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Please, do not eat more fat and protein. Fat is well, fat. Since when does fat make you feel full? Too much protein in your diet is acidic and will enflame your digestive tract.
    If you want the most amount of food for the calories, eat more fruit! Veggies, potatoes, and some beans are good too but the more fruit, the better.

:wtf:

• KKB91
    KKB91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    eat more fat, protein and fibre to keep you fuller.

Will definitely try incorporating more of the above and the good fats into my diet. Thanks!

• tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    for that height I would say you don't actually need to lose any more weight but maybe you could concentrate on body recomp so lifting weights/strength exercises.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more - Who is still eating 1200 calories. You are under eating, eating under your BMR!

My BMR is 1450 and I never eat under this.

Add veggies, fruit, good fats and protein to your diets. Eat foods that will fill you up for longer, try and get more for your calories.

If you exercise you can eat more food.

Try nut butters - peanut butter, almond butter etc, these on rice cakes are great snacks.

Protein shakes, protein bars, cottage cheese, greek fage yoghurts, almond nuts - These are all part of my diet.

I also love oats with peanut butter for breakfast - SO FILLING!!! Try it :wink:
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nut butter is overrated. It's pretty much pure fat. Fat does not fill you up...
    If you want protein, go for low fat legumes such as lentils. The less fat, the better.
    Animal protein does NOT absorb fully or the same as protein from fruit and veg. You are better off eating as much fruit and veg as you want. Kick out the animal products and watch the weight drop.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options

I disagree..not eating enough protein will cause you to lose muscle mass..and your metabolism will slow down and you'll be stuck eating like this at maintenance and you'll regain pretty fast. That is why so many folks on here..come back..again.and again..and again.. they have to eat less..and less..and less… stuck being hungry or going back to being fat.

Read through the forums..and pay attention to the success stories of those who pay attention to macros..eating the right amount of protein to preserve muscle as they lose..they also lift weights to maintain and increase muscle..which INCREASES your metabolism…and you'll be able to eat MORE calories..and enjoy your life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Hahah now I've read anything.

OP, what do you even want to lose? You have a very healthy weight. Maybe do some strength training if you still want to lose fat.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options

:wtf:

Everything you said has been disproved by medical science. Fat and protein promote satiety and keep you feeling full longer than carbs. You'd have to eat more than 300 grams of protein a day to have it inflame your digestive tract. Obviously you could benefit from reading up on nutrition and the science of weight loss.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

That didn't work for me, at all. Now 120+ g of protein a day and 80-110 g of fat keeps me below 20% body fat, so... To each their own, yes?

OP: Check out this calculator to help you set a more reasonable deficit. You haven't much to lose, so set it to 5%. Slow and steady. (Also, be sure to use the correct exercise modifier, or chose sedentary/desk job and eat back your exercise calories.)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • keithintokyo
    Options
    I've got no problem if someone wants to go vegan, but it's not something I would recommend. But to say that you should go as low fat as possible is asinine. Fat is essential in your diet, and it absolutely does allow one to stay full longer, as does lean protein - particularly animal protein. Increasing fruit is not the answer either. I'm not saying fruit doesn't have a place in a healthy diet, but it should not be the centerpiece, or you risk an unhealthy intake of sugar.
  • KKB91
    Options
    Based on your height/weight, I'm getting 2,030 calories as your daily need (using the Harris-Benedict calculator), so dropping a pound a week should mean you get 1,500 calories, not 1,220. That said, I agree with the others - you're probably dropping it too low.

Also, I didn't see any mention of exercise. Are you doing some regular exercise on top of this? If so, you've got to take that into account as well. Add in some strength training, bump the calories up to at least 1,600-1,700, and as mentioned - increase the high protein/high fiber foods and you'll likely stop being hungry. And don't forget to include some healthy fat - it keeps you full longer.

Thanks for your input!I'm right now trying to work out (zumba, bootcamp, running, strength, etc..) about 5 times a week. I've been meaning to give the TDEE method a try to see if that would stop me from being hungry quite often. However I'm worried that if I increase my calorie intake I wont be losing enough.
  • gaxarlis08
    gaxarlis08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like to drink tea to try and help curb some of my cravings and keep me full. Sometimes water just doesn't cut it!
  • KKB91
    Options
    tammyc226 wrote: »
    for that height I would say you don't actually need to lose any more weight but maybe you could concentrate on body recomp so lifting weights/strength exercises.
    Francl27 wrote: »

Hahah now I've read anything.

OP, what do you even want to lose? You have a very healthy weight. Maybe do some strength training if you still want to lose fat.

I'm looking to lose about 4-5 kg's to go back to where I was 2-3 years ago before all the unhealthy eating. Recently found out that my body fat % is about 30-31 (cant remember the exact figure) and that's quite high! So what Im trying to do now is to control my food and fit in more cardio to get that percentage lower and then start on strength/lifiting/body recomp?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

So much "nope" here ^^. Fat and protein do indeed satiate one better and longer than carbs. Ever notice how someone always seems to have room for bread or fruit or veggies, but proteins and fats (I'm not just talking meat, but plant sources, too) seem to give a full feeling much quicker? Yeah, that's what we're talking about.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

holy wrong batman….

protein is acidic and will damage your digestive tract, really? I eat about 200 grams of protein a day and my digestive tract is fine thank you …

OP - go ahead and ignore this one….
    -