Is 24 Hour Fitness a good gym for lifting?

Options
Hi everyone I want to get into weightlifting. The only gym close by is 24 Hour Fitness. Is that a good gym to lift at?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Most of their clubs are fine. Get a free trial and see if you like it. Then follow a good lifting program, or work with a good trainer.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Every one of them I've been to was heavy on dbs, curl bros, and racks with decent bars. You'll be good to go. I've even been to a couple that had these altitude simulator tents. Those were fun.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I lift at a 24hr. Mine has a lot of equipment. Also at mine all of the equipment is in one huge room so I don't feel like I'm in a bros-only space when I lift.
  • jazzy_45
    jazzy_45 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone I am going to get a free trial!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask for the free trail pass before you sign up. Then if you don't like it, it's not a loss. Before I signed up for my gym, I tried four out with free Passes and then picked the one I like best. The 24 hr fitness here, is really in a small building and seems to get very crowded and there is a wait to use equipment. But that's just the one in my area, you may have a different experience. So shop around and go in to each at peek times to see how crowded it gets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lol, not if it's the one in Vallejo CA. others-231.gif

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jazzy_45
    jazzy_45 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hmm I guess they are all different. I will check out the one in my area and get a pass.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Only one power cage at mine. It's fine when I go at 2AM, but during busy hours I imagine it's probably constantly in use. Other than that the place is great.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    The one here only has smith machine. Just the one. No squat rack, nothing. And the line to use the smith machine is really long.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If they have the equipment you want based on your goals/preferences, and it's not obscenely crowded at the times you would be going, then it's probably fine.
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I personally think it depends on the particular gym. if it has the equipment you need then you'll be great! The one I go to is okay, but the good news is there's another one literally not more than 10 minutes down the road that I might try
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How many benches? How many power racks? How heavy are dumbbells? Questions I ask myself when it will be time to buy a membership. It won't be for a while since I will be in school a very long time.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It depends on the gym. I'm a 24 hour member for a while now and, oddly, when I used to live in the crappy part of town I had two great gyms near me. Now that I'm in a somewhat nicer area, the two near me are awful. I would say that if the one near you has been renovated in the last few years then it will be nice and if not then I wouldn't touch it.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    24 hour fitness isn't the best in the world for a lifter but at least it isn't Planet Fitness!