Need suggestions for high protein, low-cal VEGAN food

Options
I'm doing strength training and need a minimum of 100-150 grams of protein a day. I find it almost impossible to do. That's like eating the equivalent of 7-10 cups of beans or a 1-2 cups of peanut butter per day (both about 1500-2300 cal). There must be a better way....I really don't feel the "fake meat" or protein powder options are that healthy. And now soy has become controversial. Any ideas?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You could always blend up the beans into veggie burger patties to consolidate them a bit more. Other than that, you may have to try to find a protein powder that you feel comfortable with. It'll be your easiest and best bet to reach your protein goals.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    not possible on a vegan diet. You'll need to supplement with a decent protein powder.
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Seitan & tofu & tempeh. Soya milk and yoghurt. Nuts and beans. Kale broccoli and spinach all have a not bad calorie to protein ratio for a little help with proteins. Vegan rice and pea protein powders like Absorice and Pulsin etc are a possibility too.

Protein needs could well be exaggerated because of all the people making large profit margins (& government subsidies) out of many proteins. Anytime people are making a truckload of money out of something, it's sensible to question if there might well be a truckload of *kitten* and marketing spin having some influence on the discussion of the level of importance for it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You're right. Probably only need 20-30g a day, total.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Seitan muffins:
    1 1/2 cups wheat gluten, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup cinnamon.
    Bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes.
    I was able to make 9, 97 calories and 15g protein.

Also I would look at rice protein and pea protein powder.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know the excess protein is acidic in your digestive tract...
    80/10/10 is the best way to go for lean muscle. As in, 80 percent of your calories come from carbs, 10 from fat, and 10 from protein.
    Eat more fruit. Your body will love you for it.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you don't think I'm right, take a look at Freelee the Banana Girl.
    801010 for the past 8 years with an amazing body.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is the best way to go for lean muscle. As in, 80 percent of your calories come from carbs, 10 from fat, and 10 from protein.

Cite a source please? An actual case study.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Sunwarrior Vegan Protein Powder
  • dbmata
    Options

You know Freelee is a wackadoo, right? History of bulimia, full of the feces, binges and purges, and if she is only eating bananas... extremely undernourished.

She's also a gem. In fact, there is a thread about her right now that you might enjoy.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you don't think I'm right, take a look at Freelee the Banana Girl.
    801010 for the past 8 years with an amazing body.

Ha!
    Shame about the mind though, eh?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

You know Freelee is a wackadoo, right? History of bulimia, full of the feces, binges and purges, and if she is only eating bananas... extremely undernourished.

She's also a gem. In fact, there is a thread about her right now that you might enjoy.

I do 80/10/10 too and am totally healthy.

Oops...that was 80% real food, 10% ice cream, and 10% wine and dark chocolate. Carry on.
  • SherahLovesHealth
    SherahLovesHealth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How did you determine the amount of protein you need? Quinoa, black bean noodles, combination of beans and rice are all great choices for vegan protein. Of course Sunwarrior, Plant Head and Plant fusion are good choices for protein powder. The key to getting enough protein is making sure to have a balanced vegan diet. Also remember we truly don't need tons and tons of protein like many individuals will have you believe. As long as you are focusing on incorporating greens i.e. spinach, bok choy, arugula etc into your meals with a high protein source like quinoa, you should be good to go. Also, olive oil, flaxseed oil, and coconut oils are good to add which helps with calories. Don't drench your food with oil but cooking your greens or foods in a small amount of oil will help you get the calories you need. I like green smoothies which are healthy and have a good amount of healthy calories. I compete in physique competitions and this year I am focusing on plant based proteins instead of the normal chicken/fish/broccoli/egg/protein powder diet. My main source of protein is quinoa and beans and like you, I am trying to stay away from vegan protein powder as my source of protein. Good Luck!!
  • SherahLovesHealth
    SherahLovesHealth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I do 80/10/10 too and am totally healthy.

Oops...that was 80% real food, 10% ice cream, and 10% wine and dark chocolate. Carry on.

Hahaha PwrLftr82, you are funny!!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options

rahshe03 wrote: »
    How did you determine the amount of protein you need? Quinoa, black bean noodles, combination of beans and rice are all great choices for vegan protein. Of course Sunwarrior, Plant Head and Plant fusion are good choices for protein powder. The key to getting enough protein is making sure to have a balanced vegan diet. Also remember we truly don't need tons and tons of protein like many individuals will have you believe. As long as you are focusing on incorporating greens i.e. spinach, bok choy, arugula etc into your meals with a high protein source like quinoa, you should be good to go. Also, olive oil, flaxseed oil, and coconut oils are good to add which helps with calories. Don't drench your food with oil but cooking your greens or foods in a small amount of oil will help you get the calories you need. I like green smoothies which are healthy and have a good amount of healthy calories. I compete in physique competitions and this year I am focusing on plant based proteins instead of the normal chicken/fish/broccoli/egg/protein powder diet. My main source of protein is quinoa and beans and like you, I am trying to stay away from vegan protein powder as my source of protein. Good Luck!!

^Exactly!

You don't need that much protein. There's a few sites like to the no meat athlete and vegan health that will help you along the way with the amount you should consume. I am doing great and consume approx. .8g/kg of body weight. So approx. 60g per day. I can definitely see changes in my body :-) Check out Frank medrano or Noel Polanco. Their diets can definitely inspire yours.

Eat a complete and balanced vegan diet and you will consume enough protein.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    not possible on a vegan diet.

What a crock.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Seitan. Low in fat, low in calories high in protein.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Nasoya light tofu- one huge square = 203 calories and 36 grams of protein

genuine health vegan protein powder = 110 calories 20 grams of protein
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Look for the So Delicious brand unsweetened almond milk with added protein. Only 40 kcal, and it has 5g per cup. Not enough alone, but good as a base for protein powders for a shake.

I personally loathe protein powders, so I drink 8 oz of the Almond milk with 8 oz plain kefir (not vegan, but vegetarian, if you are willing to bend) and 2 T of PB2, which is no substitute for real peanut butter, but quite nice as a sub for protein powder in my mind.

silken tofu also makes a decent breakfast scramble, which is nice if you do morning workouts and want a protein boost early in the day.