Why 100+ choices for Corn on the Cob?

Options
I'm entering my first meal that includes Corn on the Cob. I understand there are some variations, e.g., size/length, with or without butter. But why are there are 100+ choices?

What's an effective technique for making a selection from such a long list?

-- Ward

Replies

• lgpperry1
    lgpperry1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In general, it's better to log the raw ingredients you've used because people enter 100+ variations of "corn on the cob" and probably 100+ of those options are either completely wrong or don't reflect exactly what you're eating. I'd log "raw corn" and any butter or other things that you might put on it as separate items.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ward, you have an amazing beard.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    When I have to chose from a long list, I either go by USDA numbers, or chose those that have the most confirmations. It's probably not 100%, but as close as I can get. I also almost always log the ingredients and not ready prepared food. So I don't log a salad, but 100gr of tomato, 125 gr of cucumber, 70 gr of lettuce etc. I find that much more accurate. I do log a few meals by weight, because I developed the recipe and know exactly what's in the dish and what the calorie count is.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    Corn raw yellow (or white). It lists many options
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Pick one without the asterisk, and one that offers a weight in grams. Weigh what you eat, and log that. I do use asterisked options as well, but I am very careful with those as they are member submitted and may not be entirely accurate.
  • WardClark
    WardClark Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your speedy, helpful responses.

-- Newbie Ward
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I check the entry in the log against other sites and/or label information and pick the one I can confirm against other sources.
  • Crafty_Fraggle
    Crafty_Fraggle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my app I don't see any asterisks but can see the calories and size options. When I use the web site I only see astericks and name and can't see the calories until I've added it to my diary. (Leads to a lot of deleting.) Does any one else find this to be the case?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Pick one without the asterisk, and one that offers a weight in grams. Weigh what you eat, and log that. I do use asterisked options as well, but I am very careful with those as they are member submitted and may not be entirely accurate.

Just for sharts and goggles you may try this approach; unfortunately none of the options without an asterisk provide the weight in grams.

OP- -you may want to look up corn, USDA on the interwebz, enter it as your own food item and have it available each time you need it instead of relying on the sites member entries. Best of luck.