Butter and Margarine of any types....

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has totally eliminated all types of margarine and butter out of their diets?

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    But butter is delicious :o just don't cover everything you eat in it.
  • MrsJane05
    MrsJane05 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Butter is the 'healthier' of the two, however, only a small amount is OK. If you are anything like me, I used to like it spread thick on fresh bread, that being said - I don't eat butter anymore.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I keep margarine to a minimum. I don't like it on its own anyway, but some recipes require it. I'm not frantic about trans fats, so if 1 gram gets in every now and then it's not the end of the world, but I do try to not make it a frequent habit for health reasons.

As for butter, I have it when I feel like having it, which isn't very often. Limiting it is more due to personal taste. Some things are just not right without oil and having both butter and oil would be an overkill for my calories.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i eliminated margarine years ago. i grew up on it and thought it was because it was better that my mom bought it, until the day i tried real butter. which oddly wasnt until i was like 22 or 23.... i never ate margarine again. heres the difference. i used to buy three pounds of butter a month. now i buy a pound of butter and it lasts me FOREVER. maybe a stick every few weeks gets used and most making croutons or paninis.

everything in moderation.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Butter is a good fat. ~~~ depending on your plan.
    Hubby and I keep butter and soy margarine in the house.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Earth Balance is a healthier margarine, and it is buttery tasting too.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I eat Flaxseed Butter almost daily. That, and coffee with creamer, I don't think I would EVER sacrifice. Ever.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated both, at first it was to try and stay within my goals but now I just don't miss it so I don't add it.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I use " I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray on my steamed veggies once in a great while, but I prefer butter. Which means, I just do without.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    cherirana wrote: »
    I use " I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray on my steamed veggies once in a great while, but I prefer butter. Which means, I just do without.

In other words, I can definitely believe, it's not butter!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's essential to have some fat in the diet. There is no need to eliminate butter or margarine unless you have a medical condition that requires you to.

Plus, butter is delicious.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Many margarines are loaded with hydrogenated / trans fats these should be avoided at all costs
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    No butter or margarine in my diet, just a little bit if olive oil to improve the HDL/LDL ratio.
  • nessab70
    nessab70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil eat avocado seeds ect so i get the good fats :) just found that I really dont miss the butter or marg my family all still use it though :) could just imagine my kids if i said they couldnt have butter or margarine on their toast lol
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I eat flora light
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I really don't eat either of them. I use butter in baking when it's called for, but I generally don't eat much of my own baking. I get my fats from other sources.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Grew up on margarine and now I find it disgusting. I use real butter to bake and keep spreadable butter (with canola oil) on hand for toast and such. I don't eat it often, but occasionally I crave it--some level of fat is necessary for a healthy body (ruined my hair and skin once with a bout of anorexia--won't do that again!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    there's about 34 calories in a teaspoon (5g) of butter

spread on toast to dip in egg that'll be a breakfast fit for a king of around 200 calories

why would I give it up?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Lots of answers here from people that seemed to be from a generation of saturated fat is bad. I use butter and that'll never change, because taste and texture. :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Butter is delish. Goes great on popcorn, pasta, potatoes, bread, garlic butter sauce on fish, etc. Plus superior in taste for baking as one of my MFP friends learned about a year ago.