what pace did you start with when you first started running? be honest!!

Options
so i have a new goal and it's to LOVE running. i've always been able to run on a treadmill no problem and always liked it, but i could barely run 5 minutes on the road or outdoors. so my new goal is to be able to do that. i signed up for a 5k in february so i've got about 17 weeks to get better at it.

i've been using the mapmyrun app, which i love, because i can finally know exactly what i'm running outside. i've been running outside for about 3ish weeks now, taking a day or two in between to recuperate.

SO... i'm going to be honest. my average comfortable pace as of right now is between a 14:30 and 15:30 minute mile. one time i busted my butt and got 13:34. i'm also working on distance, which is coming pretty easy. i ran 3.5 miles yesterday and 2.5 today. the speed is what seems will be harder to improve.

so be honest, how fast did you start out running and how have you improved? how long did it take you?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Fastest I've gone is a 6:30/K, for the longest time I would average 6:48 but injuries slowed me down dramatically so working back up to that
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    my 1st (and only) 5K was 28:34 and that was with less than 2 months running but I was already in good cardio shape from step aerobics
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    your pace is a personal thing. Don't worry about your pace....enjoy the run!!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You really can't compare your time to others because everyone has different starting abilities. What you can do to progress and improve your own time is to do sprint intervals a few days a week or an all sprint work out one day a week. Sprints, hill repeats and stairs will all help your time and strength. Lift weights a few days a week or do something like spin that will work the counter muscles. And, just keep at it. Running gets exponentially better the longer you stick with it. But you must be consistent. Personally, if I'm trying to build speed I will work on running faster at a shorter distance to start with. So maybe do one longer run a week at an easier pace but then don't focus on the going a longer distance the rest of the week until you are satisfied with your 5k pace. Work on improving your time at 2-3 miles, do the sprints and strength training and be consistent and your time will improve. Once you are happy with your 5k time then start training for the 10k!
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ~11:00 min/mi when I started tracking time and not just distance.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »

^^^This

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments above. Find your pace and be happy with it. It's more important that you finish training than try to push for a specific time. And I found everybody was right about race day. I ended up running faster than my target pace on race day - adrenalin and competition gives you a boost...
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was six years ago. I finished in 37:26 (12:03 per mile). My second 5k was worse. It was a crazy hilly course and blistering hot weather. I finished it in 40:00 even. I did about one per month for the next 5 months.

5 months later, I ran 28:31 (9:04 per mile) in a 5k.

Did my first race in 3 years this past April.

This past weekend I ran a half marathon and averaged 8:16 per mile. That was a new personal best for a half. I think I could have run a 5k under 24 minutes.

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've seen some real improvement to my pace this year. I am normally a 10-minute/mile runner, but when I was just getting back to it, closer to 11-12/minute. I am now routinely clocking 9-minute miles and even less (my fastest mile today was 8:28). Some of the things that I think have made a difference here...

1. Diligence. I am working out 5-6 days per week. However, I've only just started running about 5 of those days now (training for a race). Just getting back into things, I did other forms of cardio as well to build up my mileage.
    2. Weight training. I have been lifting heavy weights for about the last 6 weeks or so 2-3 times per week. This has made a difference.
    3. Speed drills and hill repeats. About one workout per week is a speed drill. Have you ever tried doing this? Instead of say, doing a 3 mile run, you might warm up at a slow mile and then do a series of sprints (with walking in between). Yesterday I did these sprints up a slight hill near my house.

Finally, MINDSET. I think for so long I told myself I was "just a slow runner" or I only cared to "just finish" races. I'm starting to think and train differently - I am telling myself I CAN do this and I am GOOD at it. After years of running, I'm excited to see a real difference.

I would partially agree with the posters who've said don't worry about your time... sure, compare YOU to YOU. But if you want to improve? DO IT. Don't settle. Push yourself harder. Try new things. GL!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    so be honest, how fast did you start out running and how have you improved? how long did it take you?

I started running about 18 months ago, and as upthread I'd say that it's not useful to compare my time with yours, but compare your performance with your improvement over time.

As you're already using MapMyRun that'll give you some form of tracking, so that you can see progress. Personally I don't like MMR, I prefer the alternatives, but they all give you the chance to do that.

Equally, improvements to your pace come from your training, and we all train in different ways, with different objectives. I rain for half marathon at the moment, which gives me a very different outcome from training that would be 5K focussed.

I can look at my records in Runkeeper and see that in 18 months I've improved my pace significantly in that 18 months, but the more important thing is I've gone fron a first session of eight intervals of one minute at a time and covering about 3km, to running for 21.1km.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    First race I did was a 10-miler which I finished in 1 hr 24 mins. That was 2 years ago now. I am looking to do the same race in a few weeks time in around 1.07-1.10. Believe me, if I can do that, then anyone else can improve over time.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    so i have a new goal and it's to LOVE running. i've always been able to run on a treadmill no problem and always liked it, but i could barely run 5 minutes on the road or outdoors. so my new goal is to be able to do that. i signed up for a 5k in february so i've got about 17 weeks to get better at it.

i've been using the mapmyrun app, which i love, because i can finally know exactly what i'm running outside. i've been running outside for about 3ish weeks now, taking a day or two in between to recuperate.

SO... i'm going to be honest. my average comfortable pace as of right now is between a 14:30 and 15:30 minute mile. one time i busted my butt and got 13:34. i'm also working on distance, which is coming pretty easy. i ran 3.5 miles yesterday and 2.5 today. the speed is what seems will be harder to improve.

My fastest so far has been 11:42 but generally around 13:00 - 14:00. This does include some walking though, I can't run as far as you yet
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    arussell134 gives some great advice about increasing your pace. The same things worked for me. I ran off and on for years, but last spring decided that I wanted to get better. I started running 3 days per week and working out with a trainer once a week. My first goal was to run a 5k without walk breaks, and once I did that I worked on increasing my distance. That 5k I ran without walking was over 13 min/mile. Over the fall and winter I ran an 8k and several 10k's. This spring I ran a half marathon (12 min/mile). A few weeks later I decided to do a 5k at the last minute, and was shocked that I ran just over 10 minute miles! I wasn't training for speed, but I had run 3x a week for a year - I think being consistent was the key. I have now increased my running to 4 days/week with one day of speedwork. My next half marathon is in 5 days!!! My goal is to be 1 min/mile faster than my spring half. And during last week's tempo run I had my first sub-10 minute mile. It was barely under 10 (9:58), but a 10 minute mile seemed like an impossible goal for a long time. Next goal: add more strength training while sticking to the same training plan for my December half marathon.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I first added running to my walks on 7/17 this year, first being a 6.42 mile walk with bursts of running then walking until my breath was caught up and felt good again. Finished in 1:50:30 yielding a pace of 17.2 min/mile.

I run the whole way through now, and my 5k pace on Saturday was 10.3 min/mile, while my current half marathon training pace is 12.2 min/mile.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should mention that I find interval running to be best for improving my pace. Run a mile to warm up at your normal jogging pace, then switch back and forth from running fast, normal jogging and walking. Run fast until you have to take a breath or rest your legs, then walk or jog until you recover, repeat. You do not have to do a full out sprint, but maybe doing one of those would not hurt either. The idea is to run faster and let your body start to adapt to that faster pace and build the strength/stamina to do it for longer periods.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I ran at 4.6-4.8mph on the treadill (I think that'd be 12.5-13min mile?). Trust me, you're not alone with having a set back from transitioning to outdoors - it's much tougher when you have to pace yourself and deal with random changes in elevation. No idea what my original outdoor pace was but I remember finishing my first 5k run at around 40 minutes.

8c601f7d89e1ee6059658f6981b351ba.jpg
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I follow a programme recommended by a friend in an app called 'Running for weight loss' which gives you a programme of run/sprint/walk which gradually gets harder. I've found it really helps me improve - I like the rigidness of the programme; left to my own devices I get bored and stop.

Can't say it's helped with weight loss - because I eat too much - but it has really improved my running.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Dunno if anyone has suggested this yet-but try Strava! It uploads automatically to MFP! I love LOVE it.
    I started running last year...much prefer running trails and outside as opposed to a "dreadmill"...my beginning pace was maybe a 12 minute mile...I'm between a 10.5-11.3 minute mile now...and I have developed a LOVE of running! It kills me I can't go this morning (rest day...I have to force myself to take them or I'd burn out)...but feel free to add me! I am always looking for people with the same fitness interests as me.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oooo girl you sound JUST like me!! :)

I started running in February of 2013. I ran more slowly than I walked!! I could walk a 14:30 mile, but could only run around 15-15:30/mile. It was still a running movement though!! The more weight I took off, the faster I got - every 10 lbs seemed to be about a minute or so.

I ran my very first 5k on Mother's Day all by myself and finished it in about 44 minutes.
    Then I ran a Memorial Day official race 3 weeks later in just under 40 (Races give you adrenaline, which gives you race pace)

A year later, and 70 lbs lighter than I was in Feb of 2013, I ran the very same 5k in 27:45 :)

I just ran my very first half marathon Sunday in 2:15:26 (10:20 pace) and my natural happy pace to run comfortable is right around there now. I can totally run 9:45-10 minute miles, but don't ever feel like I HAVE to

KEEP AT IT! Where you're starting sounds PERFECT

• KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »

THIS!!!!! I started about 2 years ago at a fast walk/slow jogging pace. It took me up until 2 months ago to learn to love my slower pace (which is now about 11:30min/mile). My most recent race pace was for a 5 miler and it was an average 10:00min/mile. But I literally love my slower pace because it gets me farther and more comfortable in my runs. I'm doing a 10k this Sunday and will probably be slightly slower than my last race pace but its still MY pace.

Learn to love your pace and don't worry about anyone else.

EDIT** My pace is for an outdoor/road run... I avoid treadmill running like the plague lol