what pace did you start with when you first started running? be honest!!

Options

Replies

• LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    NB this probably sounds daft but make sure you have proper running shoes if you don't already. I felt silly getting some because I thought I wasn't a very serious runner but they make such a difference and they're so COMFY. Also I'm less likely to hurt myself :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I can not imagine running without REAL running shoes. I would be all sorts of busted up and broken down without them.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I started running about three months ago. If I'm doing a single mile only, I can run it in around 10 minutes. For about every mile after that, I add an additional 2-3 minutes haha. Three months ago I averaged around 14 minutes per mile.

I've found that increasing my distance has made a huge difference in my overall pace and especially my pace for shorter runs. I tend to stagger my runs, so do one long run and two shorter ones throughout the week. The shorter runs really give me a good idea of how my pace has improved and have changed my attitude about my longer run since it's easier to stay in good breathing rhythms on shorter runs. Basically my shorter runs are my learning curve to help me improve my stride, fix any hinky breathing I've been having, and they're usually when I tackle hills (which also help improve your performance significantly over time).

Comparing to others won't get you anywhere other than letting you know that the more you run and the more you focus on your technique, the more you will improve and the better stats you'll see.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll eventually get where you want to be. Good luck with your 5k in February! You've got lots of time.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've never been super athletic, so there was a time (maybe a few years ago) when I couldn't run far at all .. suppose I started at nothing. Now, my fastest times average ~11 min miles. I prefer distance over speed. I just ran a 15k (9.3 miles) on 9/20 in 1:43:38.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Oh, I should mention that I find interval running to be best for improving my pace. Run a mile to warm up at your normal jogging pace, then switch back and forth from running fast, normal jogging and walking. Run fast until you have to take a breath or rest your legs, then walk or jog until you recover, repeat. You do not have to do a full out sprint, but maybe doing one of those would not hurt either. The idea is to run faster and let your body start to adapt to that faster pace and build the strength/stamina to do it for longer periods.

Yes but you dont need to worry about this until you actually cant go any faster on just straight forward running. Straight forward running is the what I did when I lost weight. While doing so, I was just naturally getting quicker. I carried on getting quicker for around a year after too until things started to slow down.

• dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just ran 4.5 miles at 12 min pace but I just started the Runner's World Beginning running plan in June on the treadmill. I started running outside in August. I like the saying, "I may be slow but I am lapping everyone on the couch."
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It's so good to see people improving their times and how they did it. I've been on a C25K program (actually, the 5K101, but same concept) and will run my penultimate run of the program today. If all goes well, on the "course" near my house, I can run a projected 5k (in that I don't actually get through a whole 5k during the scheduled program) in about 42 minutes. I'm aiming at 40 minutes by the time my first race rolls around in November.

Everybody generally says distance improves pace over time. Apparently you just have to get the miles in.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I started with 8min mile. I was stupid and didn't make any gains until I slowed it down to 9:15-9:30.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would have been similar to you, think my first 5k (which in my defence was very hilly) was about 47min, I'm now down to about 12.5min miles!
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, jogging really, I was at an 18 min mile and I didn't care because it was something. Then I made a 12 min mile, which was my fastest and I was stoked. recently, I'm not sure, prob 10 or so
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    When I first started I couldn't run at all and a mile tooke me 22 minutes.

On a treadmill I can do two miles straight at a 13 min/mile pace.

Outside two miles is about a minute and a half slower than that.

I don't really ever focus on one mile straight, I'm trying to get a 5K so I could probably do one mile alone faster.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    when I first started took me almost an hour to go 5k in the mountains of northeast Georgia. My first official 5k race time was 43 minutes. My standard walking pace now is over 4mph. My usual not really pushing myself jogging pace is now 5mph. I finished my first official 10k in 56:35 and my first 15k in 1:26:29. I save most of my running for races. I train in the mountains so when I get to races on flat land makes it so easy for me. Have fun and Good Luck

29509743.png
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I do interval training on a treadmill to help increase speed. I will walk a min at 3.4mph then run for a minute at 6.0 then I do this for 40-60 min increasing my speed with each interval until I reach past my normal pace. Last time I did this two days ago I finally got to 7.0mph which was exciting for me
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was probably running at an 11:00-11:30 minute mile. I wasn't overweight and I was in halfway decent shape, but definitely not used to running.

Good luck on the race! You can definitely do it, and then keep it up.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This may help you even though you've run on the treadmill. When I began running I concentrated on increasing the time I was able to run. The speed just naturally increased along the way.
    http://m.runnersworld.com/getting-started/the-worlds-simplest-learn-to-run-program?cid=socBeg_20140926_32349926
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My first 5K I finished in 52:22. My third 5K 2 months later I finished in 43:31. You will get better. I could not believe I got that close to a 14 minute mile. I'm really looking forward to my race on Sunday. I'm doing something totally different (tapering and walk/run intervals), so I have no idea what is going to happen.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 2.5 yrs now. And while I've certainly improved (and continue to do so), I'm not 'fast', just 'faster'.

For my first 5K, my pace was about 14:30 pace. Now, my comfortable pace is around 11:30. The last half marathon I did was around an 11:45 pace.

It's easy to get discouraged if you're 'slow', but slow is relative. Only race against yourself!
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't really run very often, just an occasional 5k with the family. Most of my working out is home programs like Insanity or going on big hikes and climbs (12-20 miles each).

My last 5k I ran 31 minutes exactly so 10 minute miles. The last mile I ran\walked. I've got another coming up in two weeks and I'm in better shape now than I was for my last one by quite a bit. Hoping to break into the high 20 minute range this time.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My starting pace when I first began running was just trying to do the distance. I've done two 5k, one 10k, three half marathons, and I'm training for a marathon to run in 2 weeks. I've used races and PR (from races and in training) to find my baseline. Nike Running has given me my average speed and distances but it includes my times doing run/walk, my all outs in my 4-6 mile range, and my long runs which start strong and get progressively slower.

I say find a pace that's comfortable and work on it from there. I'm a competitive person and I find that breaking my own records is more satisfying than trying to break other people records/goals. Benchmarking against myself is also much more fair. At my height/weight, my ideal pace is much slower than many others who are 6/7 inches shorter and 15/20 pounds less than me.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started running (focusing on it really) in about 2010. I ran about a 9 minute mile then. It's now 2014 and I am aiming to run a 3:10:00 marathon (7:10 minute miles for 26.2 miles) and I ran a 19 min 5k this past summer and a sub 1:30 half marathon. Slow and steady, long easy miles are what worked for me!