Running/exercising in the winter cold

Options
Its getting colder down under now. I started my walking/running in the summer and slowly built up. Now that is colder I don't want to get out in the cold and do it, and then I feel guilty. What are your tips for exercise in the winter cold? and do I have to rent a treadmill over the winter months?

Replies

• glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ and have started going out either in the mornings or in the late afternoon. It is colder, but I'm using it as motivation to move faster!

The other thing I thought I might do is swimming at the warm pools in the next town.

I don't plan to hire any equipment.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My favourite work out in winter is ea Sports Active 2 for the Wii. Workouts are great and fun! I just love it! And 3 times a week I also go to the gym!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I have a regular group I go running with on Wednesday evenings. Having a bunch of people (or even just one person) expecting you to turn up is great for motivation :wink: It was cold with rainy patches here last night night, but I still went and actually really enjoyed the run. Running in the rain can be a nice experience and cools you down a bit too.

Swimming in a heated pool is a great idea too.
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey I am over in sydney and it is freezing in the early monrings and night time (not to mention wet and dark) so I have brought a skipping rope and I am using that in my garage and making up circuts (sounds lame I know) and I also use zumba dvds
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I invested in one of those ellipticals The Warehouse has for those days when the weather is just too bad to go out, also have a Wii and the JM 30DS dvd. I also just brought some thermals for some extra warmth. My biggest problem is the good ol' Waikato fog....a couple of mornings I've been running blind!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested in knowing this too - I'm in the northern hemisphere, so no winter for us yet, but what kind of things do people wear if they go out to run while it's raining?
  • MELANIE007NZ
    MELANIE007NZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I am just a sookie... I need to whinge and say I don't like sucking in the damp in my lungs.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Dreading this. In Norway they ski in the winter but we can't do that in Aus. I say I'll be making the most of my gym membership but I also have a skipping rope :)
  • Briannah
    Briannah Posts: 50
    Options
    LOL you must be in the southern hemsiphere!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Well it's just starting to warm up here.I actually enjoy running in the snow and rain (as long as it isn't icy) but I got an elliptical for when it is just way to cold or snowy to exercise outside. You could also run in place inside or get some exercise dvd's to use in the winter.
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use exercise DVD's in the winter time.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    get specialized winter running clothes. also get one of those face masks that will blow back your warm breath and keep your throat and 'lungs' from drying out.

i cant run in the cold..its makes me feel like my lungs are on fire and i taste blood.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never exercise outside, I just do circuit training in my bedroom or Just Dance 2 on the Wii. I think it's better to exercise properly outside, since playing a game on the Wii isn't really... *that* beneficial, but it's worked for me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There is no poor weather...just poor clothing.

I started running a couple falls ago. Come spring I was surpised how fast I could run in just shorts and t-shirt.

You can get properly outfitted for winter outdoor activities for less than the cost of a treadmill.