Butter and Margarine of any types....

Options

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Lots of answers here from people that seemed to be from a generation of saturated fat is bad. I use butter and that'll never change, because taste and texture. :)

I think my mum was in that generation, she switched us from butter to flora, salt to lo-salt, whole milk to semi-skimmed. This was all in the eighties.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I will only use butter. Margarine is glorified tasty plastic.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Hi, have lived in Italy 28 yrs and was shocked when I first moved here and my husband's family used very little butter. I come from Minnesota and butter or margarine were fat staples. Here they use extra vergin olive oil (first press) for almost everything they cook. They are originally from southern Italy, but the northern areas use more buttter. If you look up Italian recipes, you will find more olive oil used, and it's great on salads. If you're looking to cut down on butter this is a good way to go. Both are fats, however, and have about the same calories. I love butter on certain things and would never cut it out completely----however, my brother-in-law is a cardiologist and I cannot tell you the look I got once when he saw me putting it on bread. :D
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I grew up on margarine, with very little real butter. Same with my husband. But I reached a point a few years ago that I was sick of the fake taste, so we only use real salted butter now. And we go through so much less of it, a pound of butter usually will last a month or more. Most of it is used for baking, and for cinnamon toast for the kids.

But buttered toast with over easy eggs, yumm. I wish I could eat it every day
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,915 Member
    Options
    Hi, have lived in Italy 28 yrs and was shocked when I first moved here and my husband's family used very little butter. I come from Minnesota and butter or margarine were fat staples. Here they use extra vergin olive oil (first press) for almost everything they cook. They are originally from southern Italy, but the northern areas use more buttter. If you look up Italian recipes, you will find more olive oil used, and it's great on salads. If you're looking to cut down on butter this is a good way to go. Both are fats, however, and have about the same calories. I love butter on certain things and would never cut it out completely----however, my brother-in-law is a cardiologist and I cannot tell you the look I got once when he saw me putting it on bread. :D
    Yes, bread isn't the greatest for our cholesterol levels.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I still have a little bit of butter occasionally.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's never occurred to me to cut either out completely. It doesn't seem necessary.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I spread lurpac on toast, veg and potatoes and lots of it ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated either, but I use much less than I used to. And my margarine is very unlike what I was raised on. Then it was full of trans fat, now it's just a mix of butter and olive oil.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No margarine, but bring on the butter! I still eat it on toast and other breads, and in cooking and baking.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    Butter is not evil in and of itself. The calories for a teaspoon or a pat aren't a whole lot. You need a little oil in your pan to function.

I'll save my high calorie tastes as the last bite of my meal. So I might have a roll with butter with my dinner but it will be the last thing I eat. The memory of butter is good for my brain.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter. Doesn't get any more simplistic in lists of ingredients and damn it's delicious!
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Pfffffttttt!!!! I agree with AbsentMinded.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Margarine yes butter no it is good for you.

29509743.png
  • ofstarsandsquid
    ofstarsandsquid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat grassfed butter, but margarine grosses me out. I even made "fat bombs" out of grassfed butter, raw honey, and cacao-maca powder to get rid of sugar cravings and increase my fat intake. I have a healthy whole-foods diet, and I have no problem with butter being a part of that. :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I make my own butter and I love it! So much better than the stuff I grew up on.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    God no. I use a LOT of butter and still managed to drop almost 30 pounds.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    I dip butter sticks in margarine, taasty teatime snack for all the fam
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter here
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Does anyone still use lard?