What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I got mistaken for an undergrad helper in a toxicology lab once...

Nobody thought I was actually a graduate student because I'm white.

does that count?
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Italian
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Its rare I hear anything other than Irish or Scottish. Guess its the red hair and freckles that give it away :wink:
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I got mistaken for an undergrad helper in a toxicology lab once...

Nobody thought I was actually a graduate student because I'm white.

does that count?
    Yes. I think that counts. Also I think you look like Jose Canseco in your pic...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I've been asked if I'm Armenian or Persian. I am Spanish and German.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've been mistaken for either Irish or Swedish. I'm Italian and German.
  • MommaSpunk
    MommaSpunk Posts: 113
    Options
    I have been asked if I was spanish before when I was younger and before I started dying my hair and then if I was mixed indian...as in over seas! I am part irish on both sides/ part german on both sides/ creek indian/ and cherokee indian.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    People don't mistake me for anything other than what I am. FANTASTIC!
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish and German....Everyone thinks I'm Irish and German lolol
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Puerto Rican/Hispanic person. People will usually come up to me and start speaking Spanish and my response is usually "LOL WUT????"

When I moved to Texas people think i'm from Mexico or Louisiana. (once again........LOL WUUUUUUUUT)

I'm just a regular black chic from NYC :smile:
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've gotten Mexican once before and white/Asian mix several times... full Chinese though.
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm Puerto Rican and Cuban but I get mistaken for anything olive-toned. I've gotten Ecuadorian, Guatemalan, Mexican (tons), Italian... I also get a lot of Hawaiian which is the strangest for me.

also

"
    http://www.whatisamelungeon.webs.com/

I love stuff like this. /dork "

that was really interesting! Thanks for posting.
  • teemarania
    teemarania Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm Samoan (Polynesian), Swiss, and Chinese. I've been mistaken for Mexican, American Indian, Persian, Arab. The funniest time was when I was living in France. There was a blood drive for the people of Maghreb (most of the region of Northwest Africa, west of Egypt) in the city and as I was walking by one of the workers stopped me and asked me to donate blood to help our people. I felt bad that I had to tell him that I come from a land far, far away in the middle of the ocean and couldn't donate.
  • Aalinaghian
    Aalinaghian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am Iranian (Persian) and most people think I am South American. The strange this is Iranian's are often the ones that think I am South American.
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    Egyptian, Middle Eastern, Caucasian.

I am just Mexican American. Dad was born in Sinaloa and mom was born in Mexicali. Most of my husband family thought I was Caucasian and assumed I didn't speak or understand Spanish. That was my first lamguage but I have no accent. I've also had plenty of Hispanic people come up to me and try to ask me something in English and I have to tell them that I speak Spanish. They usually say oh sorry I thought you were white.
  • santosateos
    Options
    I'm Mexican
    3 people have mistaken me for cuban
    1 for arab
    2 for filipino
    3 native american [which a lot of us mexicans are, partially]
    and 1 person thought I was Italian/irish

I dont see the relationship between those haha
    I'm not too light-skinned, but I'm not so dark either
  • LuisZav
    LuisZav Posts: 197
    Options
    People think I'm white, cause I definitely look it...but I'm 100% mexican.
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been mistaken for so many things! My Favorite is when i get mistaken for Jordanian, Arab (middle eastern) or East Indian. I've had so many people approach me and speak to me in Punjabi or Farsi, i don't know those languages seeing how i'm Mexican/European/Native American mix. But, i can see why some people would think that given my features. It seems that it's only sometimes that Mexicans realize that i'm at least partially Mexican.

I can't wait until my kids are older, i'm curious as to what they are going to be mistaken as given what i am and that they are also 1/8 Japanese and 37% Chinese.

Even some of my east indian friends parents thought i was east indian as well growing up! It's interesting though, makes me want to learn so many languages!

In fact, i'm learning French and Cantonese currently. My Spanish is horrendous!
  • Newf13
    Newf13 Posts: 28
    Options
    Living in El Paso I'm always asked if I'm Mexican. I'm mostly of Irish and Dutch descent with a little of English, Scottish, Welsh and French sprinkled in.
  • mrsheavy
    mrsheavy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    completely white english girl... spoken to in spanish when i go to spain, italian when i go to italy and greek when i go to greece... Ive got dark hair and go very brown in the sun so i assume thats why!