What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for being Italian, Spanish, Puerto Rican, Mexican, or Jewish (yes I know Jewish is not a nationality so just calm down).

In reality I'm French, German, Scots-Irish, & Norwegian. I guess it's my curly black hair and dark brown eyes that throws people off.
  • mmnj80
    mmnj80 Posts: 3
    Options
    Same here! I get alot of Latin descent (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc.) or some type of mix but I'm a 100% Filipino! And I love it!! Sometimes, I like to keep some filipinos guessing...in case they speak Tagalog..then I can be like "Yea, I just understood everything you said"
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm often mistaken for a zombie.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Up until the age of 2, I looked Asian. People thought my parents had adopted a baby from China or something. It was something about the way my eyes looked. As I grew, I started looking more Caucasian and no one has mistaken me for any other nationality/ethnicity since then.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hispanic. I'm always having people talk to me in spanish. Sometimes Italian--that's generally when I say no, I'm not hispanic.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    German or Scandinavian ..look through my pictures I don't get it.. I am French\Italian with some Irish
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm Black American, but I've been asked if I'm Haitian! I don't get it, but I think it's because my husband is Haitian!
  • Kationia02703
    Options
    People have always thought I am Hispanic. Have since I was little. I had to learn the phrase, "No sorry I don't speak spanish". Though not offensive in any way. I am proud of my own mixed heritage, half black (jamaican/African to be exact) and half white.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am heinz 57 from Kansas-both sides of my family come from many places. I don't get mistaken for anything except American. Though many people notice the very small amount of Native American in me.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am from Liverpool when I go abroad I often get called Scotish or Dutch!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm English, but here in Saudi I'm frequently mistaken for being Levantine (Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian or Jordanian) because I can speak Arabic (somewhat!) and I have light skin and grey eyes (being English n'all) and Levantine Arabs tend to have lighter skin than Gulf Arabs and sometimes have blue or grey eyes. I'm not going to claim to have a Levantine accent in Arabic because I'm pretty sure I have a blatantly foreign sounding accent, however I speak a lot more Levantine Arabic than Gulf Arabic, so that probably adds to it. The last time it happened was when I went into a greengrocer's a couple of weeks ago and asked for "bandora" rather than whatever the Gulf Arabic word for tomatoes is.

My husband gets the same and also mistaken for Egyptian as well. I've yet to be mistaken for an Egyptian but I have been mistaken for all four of the Levantine nationalities, Lebanese being the most common one lol.

Ana mish Lubnaneeya, ana Britaneeya :p
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Im a damn mutt....so most of the time if you assign me to being either African American, Native American, Latino, with some Caucasian thrown in for good measure, you are probably right. I am a walking UN meeting.

But what freaked me out was a couple of weeks ago, an East Indian female clerk about half my age told me I looked East Indian. I dont even have straight hair..................so in my own occassionally narcisstic mind I took it as she thought I was hot stuff
    *poppin my colla*

I feel you... I am the same mixture of mutt.. and my 10 month old is the Benetton poster child.... the list has gotten longer with him... ha ha ha
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    I have been mistaken as Hispanic. I am Irish, Scottish and French.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    colombian, jamaican, trinidadian, brazilian, alot of people think im from an island.... i really think its because of my hair lol

Ditto. Im certain its the hair. Ppl always think Im from an island somewhere and/or of latin descent. lol
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It's never come up. I do get the occassional person that thinks I might be a redneck. I'm from So Cal and pretty far from being a redneck. A lot of people think I might be a biker. How astute.

actually my half white side is redneck(and proud of it!) My white side are from western Pennsylvania/west virginia area. So I look 100% Filipina but am actually pretty darn country inside!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For some reason people tend to think I'm Irish. Maybe it's my name (which actually means Ireland)...and I tend to get red streaks in my hair during the summer.

But I'm German and Polish.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get mixed up with Pixar (Shrek) and marvell comics (Hulk) but I take it on the chin(s) lol
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Anyone have melungeon in their family? I do.

Melungeons were in the Appalachian Mountains and were "mixed". They were free but not "pure white".

ArchGoins.jpg

http://www.whatisamelungeon.webs.com/

I love stuff like this. /dork
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My ancestry is mostly English, with some Irish, Scottish and Welsh, although I don't know some of my mother's ancestry. Nationalities people have thought I was include Icelandic, Irish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Polish, German, Norwegian and Danish.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have been mistaken for Greek,/Mediterrean, hispanic, Eskimo, Hawaiian, Native American, part Italian, etc.

I'm half Korean...I mainly think the curly, auburnish hair throws a lot of people. And well, if you saw my parents, you'd see the mix in features, and it'd make more sense. That's what people in real life have told me. I do sometimes get half Asian but it's infrequent.