What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    At work over the phone people think that I am white by the sounds of my voice, but just don't anything until they come in and then they look at me like they just got hit with a ton of bricks. I don't say anything just laugh to myself and say, "who were you expecting to be sitting here?" Someone I've been speaking to for a few years finally came in and couldn't help himself to tell me, OMG You sound like a blonde over the phone. I just had to laugh, then I said "why you lookin at me like that fo fool" and he falls on the ground dying lol
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    seriously I am half filipino/half white.

Although I am one of those halfers that looks 100% asian.

I was always referred to as the "ugly one" because i looked so asian and my sisters looked so mixed.

BUT THAT"S ANOTHER THREAD FOR ANOTHER FORUM.

I still remember the filipino ladies saying how ugly I looked because I looked too filipino and it was a shame I didn't look like my father.

I was 6 and I remember playing with my other mixed friends(my mom had lots of filipina friends who were also married to american serviceman, thus I had lots of mixed friends.) and the Filipina ladies saying how pretty their daughters were. How mixed..how italian looking, how mexican looking...how anything but filipino looking was better.

It got in my head.

a 6 yr old shouldn't be aware of such things..but I was.

The whole race thing makes me feel icky. I still feel ugly to this day. And I still feel I can't claim my white side because I don't look mixed enough.

I look more filipino than my mother, and I'm only half.

I know i am a dissapointment to her.
    That's bad, I'm sorry you have to undergo thru that. Being told ugly because of race is bad enough but nothing is worse than hearing it from your own countrymen. I live in Asia & I understand that having more European traits is considered beautiful here. I think its more of a cultural thing.

But don't let their stupidity get into you. YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL! And please don't say you're a disappointment to your mother. I'm sure she loves you very much.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    American
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    The most is Jamaican. I have met many Jamaican people who think I am jamaican! But I think my southern accents it what get them plus my locs!
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been called Hispanic and Asian .
  • Salue
    Salue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    American
    English
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I've had numerous people ask me if I'm part Asian, I often want to test people for drug use when they say that
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I'm a mutt... 25% or more Apache, Norwegin, Irish, French, Dutch... and I always get pegged as "Mexican". My favorite moment of this was at the local pool hall and a I can't use "lady" so I'll say woman comes up to me and asks me, "Are you Mexican?" I replied no and she walked away, "Too bad you don't know what you're missing out on!" A whole list of STD's was scrolling through my mind.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm white British.

Once at a restaurant in Taiwan the manager referred to my fiancé and I as "the Americans" :grumble:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have been mistaken for Spanish, but I'm a pure caucasion jew.
  • LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% spanish, but more than once I have been asked if I'm Russian.

I guess it is because I'm extremely pale (casper pale) and my hair was raven black in the past.

When I dyed my hair white blonde I was treated like a tourist a lot too. People seemed to believe I was from Sweden. LOL.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm a mutt: mostly German, a wee bit Finnish, French Canadian and Native American. Growing up, people always thought I was part Asian because I have small eyes..my dad's side all have the same small eyes too...not sure where it comes from.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    I've been mistaken for American and Austrailian.... I'm actually British xD but I don't have a posh British accent, I grew up in Bicester Oxfordshire btw
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    german ... when I was in domincan republic because they spoke in german to me and I replied (in german) later on in the day they realised I was english
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am caucasian, from Austria, Europe.
    In Europe, people usually think I'm Scandinavian.
    In the U.S., even when I tell people that I'm from Austria, some think it's a middle-Eastern country and then keep telling me how I don't look middle-Eastern at all *lol* Some think I'm from Australia because of the similar name. Well, and I've had people ask me if I'm Brithish/Irish, which is nice too :)
  • Diamond_angel20
    Options
    theres this one girl that has told me that i look like a european or something foreign... i joked by saying that my ancestors were from turkey but im actually 100% egyptian and PROUD. :)
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    Because im white living in South Africa, I often get mistaken for being Afrikaans, but im not, im from the UK.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've had quite a few experiences!

I've just the one, that I can recall... I've been asked if I was Chinese.. which is hilarious since I'm ginger with freckles :) But it was from a photograph and I had black hair then!
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Italian or Spanish.

I'm 100% Dutch though :)
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm German but some people apparently think I'm from Russia or another country.... I don't know why, though. Tall, pale, blue-greenish eyes, always in a hurry. I'm even a natural blonde, which you can sometimes see when the black grows out, so I can't get much more stereotypical German, really.... :huh:

(Must be the smiling.... Not serious enough for my nationality, hurrr :3")