What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    -A few years back, during my trip to Rome, I was mistaken for Italian. I think it was because I could speak some of the language.

-I had an online gamer friend (playing Age of Conan) who thought I was Japanese. To his credit, my guild forum picture was kind of blurry. lol

-A while ago, one of my coworkers thought I was half white/ half black. I'm pretty sure it was because I had super curly hair then and, you know, my flat nose. I used to hate my nose, but I kind of like it now. :)

-When I was in the military, most people thought I was Spanish. I had curly hair then too, but I mostly tanned as well.

However, I am half white and half Hawaiian; my dad likes to jokingly call me a "Hapa Haole." :laugh:
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am white - my mom's parents emigrated to Canada from Holland in the 50s, and my dad's parents are from Canada and America, and random parts of Europe before that. I have dark hair and eyes, but pale-ish skin. No one ever looks at me and assumes I'm anything but of European heritage.

It's my last name that gets attention. It's two words stuck together, a noun and an adjective, and for those of you familiar with Aboriginal names, it sounds very Aboriginal. Well, actually, it doesn't, but because it's an adjective-noun combo, and because I live in an area where there is a large and visible Aboriginal population, people just assume it is. I even had an Aboriginal lady at work ask me what band I belonged to. The funny thing is this was never a problem until I moved to Southern Alberta.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Asian... but my husband gets it worse. Our friends joke that if we have a kid, she won't be able to open her eyes!

EDIT: We are both of european descent. Don't know where the eyes came from for either of us.
  • Officialas
    Officialas Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian - Lebanese but get mistaken for being Greek (same as my mum) quite a lot!
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I am Ecuadorian and Dominican but I have gotten mistaken for:

Colombian
    Puerto-Rican
    Indian
    Brazilian
    Cuban
    Mexican
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for white all the time.
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm African-American, but I've been confused for Pacific Islander for some reason. I can't see it personally.
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for white all the time.

I lol'd really hard.

I've been mistaken for all sorts of things. When you're of Croatian descent, move to Germany at a young age and grow up there, and then move to the US, most Americans just don't understand. Most Americans don't know what Croatia is, let alone what continent it's on, or what they speak. So I've been mistaken for Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Italian, Danish, and once Mongolian. That one really threw me. But for the most part, people just assume I'm American, which I'm alright with, as I do have the citizenship now as well. Haha.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian, and used to get mistaken for a Latina. In fact, this lady came up to me and started speaking in Spanish, and when I blurted out 'No habla espanol', switched to English, and totally yelled at me for not honoring my heritage and being uppity, and a whole host of other stuff. The look on her face was priceless when I said 'I'm Indian' after her tirade was over. Didn't apologize either.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Mixed with Asian because the slant of my eyes. I do, however have native in my blood. (both Great-grandmothers on my mother and fathers side were native)
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    Hispanic all the time...Lol, but I'm White and Vietnamese...
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I'm a mut... filipino, spanish, native american and australian (or english), but I get mexican or some sort of hispanic the most... I used to work at the mall back in the day and I would get people speaking spanish to me alllll the time o.O
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Caprican...although my dad is from Tauron and my mom is a Picon.

To tell you the truth I am a cylon hybrid.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    seriously I am half filipino/half white.

Although I am one of those halfers that looks 100% asian.

I was always referred to as the "ugly one" because i looked so asian and my sisters looked so mixed.

BUT THAT"S ANOTHER THREAD FOR ANOTHER FORUM.

I still remember the filipino ladies saying how ugly I looked because I looked too filipino and it was a shame I didn't look like my father.

I was 6 and I remember playing with my other mixed friends(my mom had lots of filipina friends who were also married to american serviceman, thus I had lots of mixed friends.) and the Filipina ladies saying how pretty their daughters were. How mixed..how italian looking, how mexican looking...how anything but filipino looking was better.

It got in my head.

a 6 yr old shouldn't be aware of such things..but I was.

The whole race thing makes me feel icky. I still feel ugly to this day. And I still feel I can't claim my white side because I don't look mixed enough.

I look more filipino than my mother, and I'm only half.

I know i am a dissapointment to her.

Anyways,

I get mistaken for chinese or Korean mostly even though I am actually darker than most of them.No one ever guesses I am part Filipino except other Asian people.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Im half German and the rest is Irish and English, but because of my dark brows, hair and eyelashes, plus a killer tan in the summer....people think Im Italian :)
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm Korean, but I've gotten Chinese, Japanese, half-white, and white o.O Really people, just because I'm pale doesn't mean I'm white.
  • teampugador
    Options
    Usually Mexican, occasionally Filipino or Polynesian. I'm white and Chinese.. I really wish I looked more Asian :laugh:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian, and used to get mistaken for a Latina. In fact, this lady came up to me and started speaking in Spanish, and when I blurted out 'No habla espanol', switched to English, and totally yelled at me for not honoring my heritage and being uppity, and a whole host of other stuff. The look on her face was priceless when I said 'I'm Indian' after her tirade was over. Didn't apologize either.
    Haha you're my exact opposite. And I don't even have Indian or Middle Eastern blood although my grandmother is from Southern Spain & people also thought she is half-Indian or a fair-skinned Indian (she's pale white).
  • KyraRowan
    KyraRowan Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm half African American and half white and Jewish, from around Latvia. I've gotten just about everything, Greek, Italian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, you name it. It's a fun game, guessing my ethnicity.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    People never know what I am lol.

Dad's family is from Spain/Italy, Mom's is from Germany/Ireland.
    I'm a mutt.