What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mexican, Choctaw Indian, Asian, Jewish...
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Mexican.. But I'm Filipina/Irish

I'm Mexican by injection though! Bahahahahaha :drinker:
  • Dame_Venus
    Dame_Venus Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm African American and mostly I get mistaken for Hispanic and Asian.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have dark hair and eyes, and use my hands a lot when I talk. Everyone thinks I'm Italian.

In fact, while hanging out with my best friend in high school and our foreign exchange student, someone was talking to my BFF and she told him, "I have to get back to my friends..." and adding something about one of us being here from Italy. And the guy came straight over to me and told me he hopes I enjoy my stay in this country. :laugh:

I'm a mutt with a heavy leaning towards Scottish and Welsh.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm simply Portuguese, bit I've been told I look Greek, Italian and even Cuban. Most of the nacionalities people say I am are just don't make sense.

I'm part Portuguese as well...but overall I'm just a mutt. German, Scottish/Irish, American Indian...lol.

Most people think I'm Hispanic however. I'm constantly getting people in grocery stores or on jobsites walking up to me speaking Spanish. It's become somewhat enjoyable to see their expressions (LOTS of different expressions!) when I reply in a deadpan non-accented tone:

No. Espanyola. Dude.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am a mixture of the northern European countries. I am white as the driven snow and have naturally blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't get mistaken for ANYTHING other than what I am.

Interesting side note: I am enough Native American that I can claim it but NO ONE ever guesses that. :laugh:
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm usually mistaken for dominican or puerto rican! I take it as a compliment and keep it movin!
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    When I was in college and working outside in the summer, I tanned very well. I had someone ask if I was Mexican. Nope, Northern and Western European. English, Scots, Irish, Dutch, German. Almost all of my ancestors we have been able to trace were here before the American Revolution. My Dad took a surname DNA test and our direct male line is not Scottish the way we thought. It matches more with the Vikings, so I guess my male ancestors were Viking colonists or raiders in Scotland. Interesting.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    None
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is my region, but nobody ever talks about ethnicity here. I don't remember ever asking someone that question or ever being asked what my ancestry is.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i had straightened long hair i was frequently mistook for east indian to the point where people would come up to me and speak in hindi.

now that i no longer relax my hair, not so much. there's no mistaking this fro. but i do get asked if i'm black and something else to which i always reply I'm mixed with black and blacker :laugh:
  • annabelsmommy
    annabelsmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 3/4 German and 1/4 Native American. People have asked me on several occasions if myself and my children are Russian. Russians come up to us at the playground and the grocery store and talk to us all the time =)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm usually mistaken for dominican or puerto rican! I take it as a compliment and keep it movin!

I thought you were messing around but now that I see you I would easily mistake you with one since I'm from there lol.
  • bigcity_tinydreams
    Options
    My parents are both from Trinidad & Tobago (in the Caribbean), but between the two of them, I have come out to be 1/2 Indian, 1/4 black, and 1/4 white.

I always, always get mistaken for Dominican though and, if not that, people assume I speak Spanish anyway.

I do not. T&T = British colony.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Half Filipino, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian...

Mostly Mexican... a few times as Inuit (eskimo)
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My dad is from Cameroon (Africa) and my mom is from Spain. People think I'm Indian, Egyptian, Mexican... pretty much everything. Hahaha it's pretty hilarious the things they assume!
  • yesenia007
    yesenia007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always get mistaken for black. I'm actually hispanic (Dominican).
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We were asked about our ethnicity/nationality & made us guess each other's ethnicity. Now I'm curious to know what are some nationalities/ethnicities people have mistaken you from based on your experience. (Now this isn't meant to offend anyone here, its just for fun.)

I'll start off.

I'm Hispanic but many times I get mistaken as Indian (from India not Native American) or half-Middle Eastern. I remember two years ago when I was touring in Singapore, some Indians would come up & speak to me in their language. In the tourist bus where my companions & I rode, there was one Pakistani couple who while they're kind to all of us but were unusually very friendly to me & then later on the wife asked me if I'm a Pakistani or a half-Pakistani which of course I said no. And one time I was in a hospital waiting for my turn for a blood test & just two chairs away from me was one Arabic family (father, mother & son) & I notice that they were all staring at me. Another time when I was very new to chatting & this guy from Iran befriended me & then chatted to me in Farsi which I don't understand, LOL. But the strangest of all that I got was coming from my Peruvian friend who asked if I was Chinese/Japanese. Strange because I don't have Oriental features & I definitely don't look anything like these people (oh how I wish I would have their youthful features).

I get the exact opposite, i'm Indian and get mistaken for Mexican, Spanish, and Puerto Rican...Indians and Arabs just stare at me creepily trying to figure it out...*headdesk* it is so annoying...
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    Colombian, Argentinian, Chilean, Costa Rican,....
  • HappyHealthyChic
    Options
    I once got asked if I was Italian.....which is odd because I have fair to medium skin tone, blue grey eyes and brown curly hair. And my nose is quite small lol My Boyfriend and his friends say I have a "Burnside face"........elegant looking. Burnside is one of the nicest suburbs where I'm from.....maybe they think I look like a snob LOL.