What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options
We were asked about our ethnicity/nationality & made us guess each other's ethnicity. Now I'm curious to know what are some nationalities/ethnicities people have mistaken you from based on your experience. (Now this isn't meant to offend anyone here, its just for fun.)

I'll start off.

I'm Hispanic but many times I get mistaken as Indian (from India not Native American) or half-Middle Eastern. I remember two years ago when I was touring in Singapore, some Indians would come up & speak to me in their language. In the tourist bus where my companions & I rode, there was one Pakistani couple who while they're kind to all of us but were unusually very friendly to me & then later on the wife asked me if I'm a Pakistani or a half-Pakistani which of course I said no. And one time I was in a hospital waiting for my turn for a blood test & just two chairs away from me was one Arabic family (father, mother & son) & I notice that they were all staring at me. Another time when I was very new to chatting & this guy from Iran befriended me & then chatted to me in Farsi which I don't understand, LOL. But the strangest of all that I got was coming from my Peruvian friend who asked if I was Chinese/Japanese. Strange because I don't have Oriental features & I definitely don't look anything like these people (oh how I wish I would have their youthful features).

Replies

• RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm simply Portuguese, but I've been told I look Greek, Italian and even Cuban. Most of the nacionalities people say I am just don't make sense.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I'm half French Canadian, half Welsh, so I have dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin. I've been told I look Italian and Jewish.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I usually get mistaken for West Korean...
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    hispanic all the time. Arab once in awhile when I don't shave for a few days. When I worked in some greek owned restaurants, I was always mistaken for being greek.

When I was a kid, we did a lot of traveling around the US, and my mom always had a pic on the mantle (among all the other family pics) of the me outside of some native american reservation, next to the tourist welcome sign. When I was in college, my girlfriend went to meet my parents. She asked me after "why does your mom keep that pic with the Indian kid on the mantle with the rest of your family pics....."
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie (with a mixed British background many generations back) but have asked if I'm Italian - for no reason that I can see!
    English people often ask where I'm from in the UK, but I think that is because I don't have a strong Aussie accent and I have a tendency to mimick people's accents unconsciously.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I'd have guessed northern eastern european based on the skin tone.....
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

I'd have guessed northern eastern european based on the skin tone.....

Nope. West Korean.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I'm Dutch and German. No one would assume anything else. Lol
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've been mistaken for Mexican, Guatemalan, and Indian. In fact, I've been mistaken for being Indian on numerous occasions. I'm multi-racial, but just generally ID myself as 'black'.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Swedish or French. I'm 99% Polish (the other 1% is Lithuanian which is pretty much the same. lol)
  • bonsaiblossom
    bonsaiblossom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    colombian, jamaican, trinidadian, brazilian, alot of people think im from an island.... i really think its because of my hair lol
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Hispanic. People have come up to me and said things to me in Spanish with the assumption I understand them.

I'm Black...
  • MajestyGisMe
    MajestyGisMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am Dominican (Dominican Republic is in the Carribean for those that do not know). I am often confused with Puerto Rican which is typical, and pretty close. But when I moved to Texas, they thought I was Creole from Louisiana or mixed Black/White...so when they would hear me speak spanish, they would freak out...lol!!!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm brown, so I get mistaken for Indian, Native American, you name it. If it's brown, I get called that :)

I have had a few people ask me if I'm part Asian, which I get quite excited about, since I have almost no features to show for my Chinese heritage.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Mexican/Guatemalan.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Irish.

Understandable, considering the naturally red hair.. However, I'm Polish, English, and German.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just your basic run-of-the mill caucasian Heinz 57 over here.

My ancestry can be traced in America back to the Revolutionary War on one branch of the ol' family tree, and from there and on different branches to: English, German, Swiss, Scots-Irish, and who knows what else! HA!
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Dutch, Finnish and Swedish. I'm actually mostly Scottish, English and German so I guess that's close enough lol.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I always seem to get mistaken for some type of Hispanic/Latino, I am Italian American. My wife who is Hispanic gets mistaken for Italian American. There was also that one time when I grew a beard that someone thought I was Lebanese.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Persian, Indian, Italian, Egyptian, Spanish...

I'm Mexican. Brown n proud, baby! :smokin: