What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Half Filipino, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian...

Mostly Mexican... a few times as Inuit (eskimo)

Filipinos are the most mistaken of all time haha. I swear every filipino tells me they been mistaken. Filipinos have to be one of the best cultures I have known. Great food, and great personalities.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    I always get mistaken for being white but I'm really Puerto Rican and Mexican (I think, I don't know much from my sperm donor side but on my mom's side I know I'm puerto rican) :)
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Half Filipino, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian...

Mostly Mexican... a few times as Inuit (eskimo)

Filipinos are the most mistaken of all time haha. I swear every filipino tells me they been mistaken. Filipinos have to be one of the best cultures I have known. Great food, and great personalities.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one :bigsmile:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am an Aussie with convict and aboriginal ancestry, but people usually think I am greek or italian because I have olive skin and naturally curly dark brown hair. The most irritating thing is that when someone asks me "where are you from?" etc and I say Australia, then they'll push the point about how I look, so I'll say my family have been here 7+ generations. Often they'll push the point further about where my colouring comes from, but when I say its aboriginal they will often want to argue with me about it. There is a strong (false) stigma in Australia that people fake aboriginality... so even though they ask, they push and push, they then argue my answer... tres-frustrating!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mexican, Middle Eastern, Native American mostly. People come talk to me in Spanish ALL the time!!! Some people have even gotten mad when I tell them sorry I don't speak Spanish, and yelled at me for not knowing "my" language. lol I'm Indian, born in India.
  • natashiag
    natashiag Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm Cuban... I rarely get someone who even thinks I'm hispanic even most hispanics, I look arabic all the way LOL
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Most people think I'm Greek. I'm mainly Irish and Italian : P
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm half jewish/half super white, and people think I'm hispanic, asian, or middle eastern. My best friend in elementary school would ask me if I was chinese about once a month.
  • darkstormlegacy
    Options
    Hispanic. Most people think I'm Hispanic and people speak to me in Spanish all the time. If people don't think I'm Hispanic they usually assume I'm half Black and half White. I'm half Black and half Indian (India not Native American) and 100% Jamaican.
  • angelachristin
    Options
    I've had a few people think I'm part Hispanic. The reason might be more my interest in Hispanic culture than the way I look. I'm pretty much just European American... aka: white. :P
  • alex88carolina
    Options
    I am 1/2 Spanish and the rest is native American and white. I get confused for different races all of the time.lol.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    I've been told i look Egyptian before.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people think I'm part Hispanic. The reason might be more my interest in Hispanic culture than the way I look. I'm pretty much just European American... aka: white. :P

Wait a minute, you sure you aint hispanic?
  • coolasafan
    coolasafan Posts: 75
    Options
    Probably Japanese.
  • angelachristin
    Options

Wait a minute, you sure you aint hispanic?

:laugh: I wish
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I get Colombian and Dominican a lot. A coworker introduced me to his wife, who is Colombian and we couldn't get over how much we looked alike.
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian and Scottish and live in the Caribbean but people often think I am from Spain, Greece, Venezuela, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Syria, Turkey but most often I get Spain...
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    Spanish or Barbadian - Im simply Jamaican with european,italian, and british hidding somewhere in there.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm white.

I've had people walk up speaking spanish to me before.

I've been asked if I'm brazilian, hispanic, etc..and one of my black friends in college thought I was half black/white. Didn't believe me when I said I wasn't.
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    Options
    I'm very much white British but tan very dark.

I once applied for a job just after returning from holiday, they asked for a photo with the application. When I attended the interview several weeks later my tan had faded and they were devastated. Turned out they were looking to fill their positive ethnic recruitment quota and thought I was Asian!!