Need some tips from those who work, go to school and work out

Hello everyone,
I currently went back to school for nursing full time and I'm working part-time. When I am not in school, working or sleeping, I am studying. My question is, for those who are also going to school and working, how do you fit in your exercise routine? I began the school year working out a few times a week, then my work load increased and used the time I was working out to do my work (I also found that my grades were improving once I stopped working out and used that time to study). But I'm beginning to feel flabby and disgusting and I'm really trying to figure out how to get back into a work out regimen and keep up with my school work. Any tips are appreciated, thank you!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Well I don't go to school but I work full time, have a family and a house that take up as much time as a full time job. My husband works at least a 48 hour week as well...

Yes my house was cleaner when I wasn't working out...ie the walls were wash 2x a year ie spring/fall cleaning...

Of course the more time you spend studying the better your grades...and that is important...

But that being said if all you do it work, go to school and study then you have to find time to sleep right? relax? cook? clean up your place? laundry etc...right?

Perhaps if you preplan things like your meals and have them cooked for the week, do laundry once a week, maybe don't clean as much....or if you are on MFP or FB or Twitter or playing a game, watching TV to relax spend that time working out....

It's not about finding time...it's about making time for your priorities...and if exercise is a priority...you will make time
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    It's hard. No doubt. When I was in law school I would bring a text book and prop it on the elliptical or make notecards and bring them. I also found podcasts of the subject matter and would listen to it while working out. You could record your own if you can't find the topic you want. Good luck!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I feel for you- I had a hard time finding time to workout when I was working on my master's degree. Luckily I lived close to campus and it was a big campus so as long as the weather was okay I walked EVERYWHERE. That was my exercise for the most part during that time. Other than that I sometimes could fit in a 30-45 minute workout if I put it in my schedule. You may also try walking during your lunch; most people have an hour and only need a small amount of that time to eat. My college roommate used to actually walk and read her textbook at the same time. You could try this on the treadmill if you have access to one. Good luck with the workouts and with school! Nursing is a very demanding major but it will be worth it!
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    While you are studying you can work out. You could get one of those workout balls as a seat, they help with your core strength and are better for you back than regular chairs. Really, even the smallest of exercises are better than just sitting.

On average people can only focus on one thing for about 45min until their attention is diverted. If you are like me and can only focus an hour max. You can have a 30 min break after an hour of studying and do pushups/jogging/circuits or whatever. Have it on a timer, so after you study for an hour, do a 30 min exercise. When I take a break after studying and exercise, I noticed it helps my concentration, mood, and at least then I'm exercising some a day.

Also, try to walk/bike wherever you can. When you park in the parking lot pick the farthest spot so you walk a little more to get to the store. Even the smallest of things are better than nothing.

Having a home workout regimen can save time because you don't have to go all the way to the gym or figure out when you have time to go to the gym while it is open.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Thank you everyone for your input! I will plan to work out when I break for my study sessions.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    I go to school full time (4.0 GPA), work full time, and dedicate many hours a week to volunteering. It's hard to find time, especially when finals and such are around. I used to let myself get really lax and make up excuses, but I realized that without working out it was hard to keep my eating in check and to burn off a few extra calories each week. Scheduling has been really helpful. I schedule everything from my workouts to my meal prep to my study time to my TV time. It also helps to relieve my anxiety a bit because I know that there is time for everything. When I took the time to write down what I did in a normal week and when, I realized that there were large pockets of time that, with some adjustment, could turn into work out time. And I was someone who definitely thought that there was no time to spare.

It's hard at first being so regimented and trying to stick to what I plan out, but over time it got easier and now when it hits 7pm my brain just seems to automatically switch to workout mode.

I made a rule that I can't take more than one day off from exercising. The nice thing about work and school is that it's predictable. I don't necessarily like it, but I've gotten used to working out at 9pm if I have to, or getting a little extra time in on the weekends when I can. Even if I can't get my full workout in, getting 20 minutes is better than nothing.

On days when I can't get to the gym or don't feel like using the equipment I have at home. I'll put on a video for 30-40 mins. Tons of free ones on youtube and no travel time required.

If nothing else, I just try to remind myself that working out is an essential part of not only losing weight, but just keeping healthy in general. It's a good stress relief and it's important to take some time for yourself and take a small break from school and work stress. I find working out relaxing, that doesn't mean I'm going at a leisurely pace or anything, but it's my me time, so it's important I find room for it.
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    I struggled in the beginning.. but what I had to keep telling myself that it wasn't about finding time to workout, it was about making time to workout.
  • I work 2 jobs 1 full time and a part time job for a total of about 60 hours a week. Although I dont have kids or a husband its still extremely difficult to keep up with working, household stuff, my dog (thats my kid), and working out. I would feel so guilty for working out and leaving my dog caged up for the hour I was at the gym but I finally had to quit making all the excuses and realized I needed to make time for myself. I have been going to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and sometimes when im short for time I try to cut my workouts down to about 45 mins. Its all about what you really want and if you really want to work out youll find the time.
  • thedaydreamer92
    thedaydreamer92 Posts: 198 Member
    I go to school full time and work about 30 hours a week. My fiance helps out a lot. He's a pipe organist, so he has a lot of free time at home with keeping up household chores and making meals. I do homework on my days off, after work, or after class on Monday. I take daily walks with my fiance between classes on Wednesday and after work. I make goal lists at the beginning of each week of what I'd like to accomplish, which helps greatly at keeping me on track with everything.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    I hear ya- I'm in school part time, I have an internship three days a week, and I work the other two days a week and sometimes at night after the internship and on the weekends. I work out early in the AM (5am) and find that's the best way to do it. It's certainly not for everyone, but it gets the exercise out of the way so i can't blow it off later at night.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    I go to school full time and work part time. I try to budget an hour a day for workouts, but I don't work many hours and I'm lucky that I work on campus at a job where I can do my homework if I need to.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    I work full time, and study part time. I workout on my lunch break at work, or before work in the morning. My evenings and weekends are for school with an hours run on Saturday or Sunday. It is exhausting, but I find exercising to be a good release mentally. Otherwise, all of my time would be spent doing stressful things and I know I'd end up run down and broken!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    i didn't read any of the other responses, but I feel your pain! i work 55+ hours a week, in addition to taking two grad level classes, plus taking care of a family.

I talked frankly with my boss...I told her I had a lot on my plate and asked for her help in organizing my workload to make it more manageable. Hopefully, your boss is as understanding. Mine helped me adjust my schedule...I work an early shift, around 5AM, twice a week. It allows me to leave a bit earlier and use those afternoons/evenings to study.

I also delegate a LOT at home. I am the Meanest Mother In The Entire World...my kids do a lot of chores. They honestly do the lion's share of the housework. My husband does quite a bit, but his work schedule is pretty crazy right now, too. I block off three hours on Saturday mornings and do heavy duty cleaning, but they do most of it through the week, including laundry, and cooking dinner.

I also block off a few hours on Sunday afternoons to do meal prep, so it makes their evenings go a bit smoother -I'm not a TOTAL tyrant! Lol

And I give myself an hour four times a week to workout...Usually Sunday mornings, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I'm a little Type A, so i find color coding a calendar helpful to keep me on track.

And be easy on yourself...maybe walking around campus at a brisk pace is all you can handle right now...maybe you pack a set of resistance bands and use those in class...(I use them during conference calls...!)...maybe you load up a few extra books in your back pack for extra weight during your walk from class to class...maybe you take the stairs...Those little things add up too.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    If you're studying for a test record yourself reading over the material one night, and then listen to that recording while exercising the next night.

Give yourself pop quizzes, and for every question you get wrong do 10 situps/push ups/jumping jacks/whatever.

Rather than counting how many situps/pushups/jumping jacks/lunges/squats/whatever you can do, call out the name of a bone/organ in the human body and keep going until you can't think of anymore.

It's rough sometimes, and you have to get creative with your studying, but it's definitely doable.
  • LastCupOfSorrow
    LastCupOfSorrow Posts: 15 Member
    I work full time and I'm in school full time in the evenings. It's hard. I always take the stairs at work (6 flights) and I try to immediately go for a walk when I get home in the evenings before I do anything else.

I also force myself to get up and move when I'm studying. I pace myself, say, when I finish a task or a chapter or a review, and do 10 minutes' worth of something and then get back to studying.

I'm also a mother and my son needs attention, too... it's a lot to juggle but I want it badly enough to try whatever I can whenever I can. I've only been at this for a few weeks now so I don't have a ton of results but I figure that what I'm doing now beats what I was doing before I started.
  • CandOr1
    CandOr1 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2014
    I work full time, teach (university) part time, and work out five or six days a week. My secret? Working out first thing in the morning. I exercise at home using videos, but you could do this in a gym, too.

I am NOT a morning person, or at least I wasn't several years ago when I decided to give morning workouts a chance. "Try it for a couple weeks and see," I told myself. I was shocked to discover it worked so much better for me than afternoon or evening workouts!

The time I would typically have spent first thing in the morning checking e-mail, social networking, etc., just sort of went away, and I never missed it. I've also found myself more productive in the mornings in general—putting away laundry or clearing out clutter for a few minutes before or after I get ready for work, that kind of thing.

Other benefits?
    1. No additional shower required. I roll out of bed*, go downstairs, and work out. Then I shower and get ready as I ordinarily would.
    2. All day long, I am aware of my workouts and am less likely to indulge where I shouldn't.
    3. If for some reason I skip the workout, I adjust how many calories I can eat that day. It's never a matter of "Oops, I was going to work out at the end of the day and then didn't, so I'm 200 calories over my goal for the day."
    4. Early in the morning, my puppy's still too sleepy to get in my way. LOL! She naps in her little bed in the corner while I exercise.
    *I often sleep in my workout clothes—a commonly cited trick to help motivate a person to work out in the mornings.

Best of luck to you in your efforts! I wish you joy and success in your goals, academic/professional and personal.