A teeny tiny person who now likes to lift heavy things - a story in progress pics.

Options
dnamouse
dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
jrlwalqwwoxn.jpg

Progress Pics.

Looking back, I probably should have taken more photos, but I preferred to be the one behind the camera.

Keep in mind, I am 4'9 (145cm) tall - or short I guess, so weight distributes differently, particularly with my very short legs.

The first pic, from June 2012 isn't me at my heaviest. But it's the only photo I've got. And that day I felt horrid. It was my youngest SIL's wedding day. I was surrounded by tall & skinny late-teens/early-20s girls who had never had kids. I know logically that I would be different particularly as I was at least 10-15 years older, but it still didn't feel good.

I decided to start 5:2 in March/April 2013. After trying multiple things. And them not working. Stopping and starting, feeling like a failure. Getting sicker each week - non-stop migraines, UTI's, sicknesses, aches, pains, everything. I figured why not try something a little different, it couldn't hurt. And I guess it all sort of started clicking together.

I started walking with friends for exercise, and learning about the food I ate and how much I actually needed. I found MFP and learned more. I read and read more and listening even more and tried new things. That led to learning to run again and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred followed by Ripped in 30.

And that's where I re-discovered my love of strength training.
I'd be very into gymnastics at school. I couldn't do it properly because we couldn't afford it, but I had a very kind PE teacher who would show me some things, I vividly remember being able to do chin-ups when no-one else could. I wanted that back.

The second picture is November 2013. I'd been maintaining for about a month. I had just started playing around with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I didn't have all the equipment, but I was giving it a red-hot go with what I had.

Jan-March 2014. I'd bought a proper bar and weights with some Christmas vouchers and I knuckled down and got stuck in to some serious weight lifting. I kept learning about food and nutrition. Less isn't always best. Food is fuel.

Oh, and yeah, in the March photo I'm standing on a chair in my bathroom. I really am that freaking short ;)

I had up days and down days and weeks where I didn't know whether anything would ever change. But it did. Slowly, but surely. Even when there were some weeks were I didn't exercise at all, and my eating habits left an awful lot to be desired.

I wanted to get stronger. I wanted to be healthy. And it was happening.

I got up the courage to start participating in one group in particular here on MFP - the girls in the NROL4W group are some of the best women I have ever had the pleasure to get to 'know'. They are encouraging, they'll pull you up if need be and they are always there for each other. And they are all freaking awesome.

September 2014. You better believe I can do handstands. I can even do handstand pushups (and have the video to prove it).

October 2014. I got my husband to take that photo yesterday. I finished the New Rules of Lifting for Women program last week, and today I started NROL Supercharged. I'm stronger, I'm fit, I'm fast and most importantly I'm HEALTHY.

Oh and chin-ups? They are totally mine. Pull-ups too.

These days, I still fast once or twice a week, depending on how I feel. I dabbled in other forms of IF for a while, but I've come back to what I know and what makes me feel good. Calories don't bother me so much as what I am eating these days - and I eat for fuel and for health. My tastes have changed. Yes, I can still devour an entire brownie batch in one sitting, but that's okay - I try not to put myself in that situation too often (I make freaking awesome brownies though :D ).

Do you want to know the best bit?

At my lowest ever adult weight (at a much, much younger age lol), I was NEVER THIS SMALL.

I weigh at least 3kg heavier than that weight, and yet I am about 2-3 sizes smaller.

Right now I'm headed out the door to help a friend to start running. I kind of like being the encourager now - I'm giving back some of the help I got.

I'm still a work in progress. I will never, ever be 'done'. This is me for life. And I kinda like that.

Replies

• LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!!!!!
  • saraghali
    saraghali Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Waw amazing...congrats!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Wow great pics great story and amazing body.!
    You are so strong and fit.
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Wow great pics great story and amazing body.!
    You are so strong and fit.

You're one pretty awesome lady yourself :)<3
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look fantastic, I'm sure you feel it too. :)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    As a 4'11" NROL'er - "like"!
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, and a huge 'well done' for completing NROLFW! I bought the book but haven't dabbled yet, your story makes me want to though :D I love to see how training makes everyone look and FEEL amazing. I still can't figure out why people are so reluctant to start (including me at one time!). If only they knew.....
  • Ciler_mcj
    Ciler_mcj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    wow you are awesome women.
    am 4.9 to i never ever been this heavy till I stared having kids lol but its all good I love my kids and I don't want to go back to my old weight anyways (85-90 lbs) I always looked like sick lol but now I would like be around 110 or 115 lbs not looking sick but health,fit,strong and sexy of course.wish me luck I still have 30 lbs to go :) thank you for sharing your story it really helps.
  • Monnik73
    Monnik73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is great! Very inspirational.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational and fun post!
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    You are a DYNA-MIGHTY-MOUSE!!! Amazing results! Great work and dedication :)
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Thanks all :smile: It's been a long time and a lot of hard work, but it's an amazing learning experience and I'm enjoying the ride.

• slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    wow wow wow!!!!! thanks so much for sharing. you are da bomb!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Great story. Thanks for sharing. I am in awe of your hand stand pressups, that is so hardcore.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that your story isn't a quick one. You didn't get to where you are in 6 months. It took a while, you educated yourself and you did it the healthy way. You aren't stopping from eating brownies and yet make healthy choices more often than not. Go you!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Love this! <3
  • MandyGraham73
    MandyGraham73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Amazing result's
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Go Girl! Yay!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    you so rock! congrats on your success! just finishing stage 3 and can honestly say NROL4W has changed my life! The group here on MFP and on FB are an awesomw bunch of women!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!