How do you know if your doing a squat right?

Options
My friend told me that I am not doing squats right, although she is not in very good shape so no offense to her but Id rather have a second opinion. She says that when you squat your *kitten* has to touch the floor...I have scoliosis so not only does that hurt my back but it is very difficult to get down that low. How do I know if I am doing a squat right. If I don't feel it the next day does that mean I did it in correctly?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Rainbows fly out your backend uncontrollably.

If she's not in good shape, has no history of coaching athletes, then just consider the source and ignore it. No value to the input.

For example, your *kitten* has to touch the floor... no. Here, want to see a good squat from someone who will bury anyone with knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

It's lowbar, keep that in mind, but it's bullet proof knowledge.

If you did your squat session well, your hams and *kitten* are sore.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    That was very informative thank you, a few more questions though... how many seconds should I hold each squat for? How many sets/reps should I do. And will any of this help me if I don't have a bar and weights to use along with my squats?
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That was very informative thank you, a few more questions though... how many seconds should I hold each squat for? How many sets/reps should I do. And will any of this help me if I don't have a bar and weights to use along with my squats?
    Depends.

Is it a normal squat or a pause squat?
    A normal squat I go down then go up. A pause squat, I go down, sit for a second or two, and then go up. Both do two different things, one preserves energy to help in the concentric aspect of the lift, the other does not conserve or transfer that energy from the eccentric portion.

Sets and reps are up to you and your goals. I'm not a person to ask for volume advice. I routinely squat for over 100 working reps a session. My concepts of volume are skewed.

Look at something like Stronglifts. For a work portion of the lifting, you'll do 5 sets of 5.

Will any of this help for unweighted squats? No. Unweighted squats are great as a body movement though, and a conditioning exercise.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    If you are doing body weight squats you can do many more than if you are doing weighted squats. When I do body weight squats I typically do 3-4 sets of 20. How long you hold at the bottom of a squat depends on you. I usually don't hold at the bottom of a squat it's a 2 count down and a 2 count up. I do wall chairs for about 90 seconds times 3 instead of holding squats. Hope this helps, good luck!
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you are doing body weight squats you can do many more than if you are doing weighted squats. When I do body weight squats I typically do 3-4 sets of 20. How long you hold at the bottom of a squat depends on you. I usually don't hold at the bottom of a squat it's a 2 count down and a 2 count up. I do wall chairs for about 90 seconds times 3 instead of holding squats. Hope this helps, good luck!

Yeah, you're right, body weight and the concept of volume can be ignored.

I usually use them as a "grease the groove" type warmup, and do a few sets of 100 reps at a time. It gets grindy, but it's an excellent warmup.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    how many seconds should I hold each squat for?
    It's not so much about time/seconds as much as it is controlling the weight/movement. Be intentional with the lift, don't just drop under the weight and bounce back up... control it on the way down and on the way up.
    How many sets/reps should I do.
    Depends on your goals. 3-5 sets of 5-10 is never a bad starting point.

And will any of this help me if I don't have a bar and weights to use along with my squats?
    Not significantly. Anythign is better than nothing, but your legs are used to carrying you around. There are creative ways to add weight though if you don't have a bar/plates... fill a backpack and hold it to your chest, hold dumbbells/kettlebells or something similarly heavy, do single leg squats (though, I'd get the basic movement down first before starting single legs), etc.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Hams and booty. What about actually feeling it in your quads?
  • dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Not significantly, at least for me.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

If you are doing plain old back squats and your form is dead on then your quads should feel significantly less than your glutes and hams (atleast this is true for me). However, switch it up to some bulgarian split squats and them quads will be on fire :wink:

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I usually use them as a "grease the groove" type warmup, and do a few sets of 100 reps at a time. It gets grindy, but it's an excellent warmup.

you do 100's of body weight squats to warm up? how long does that take you? jeepers- I do 3-5 min of jump rope and jump straight under 95 pounds for warm up sets and then stretching.
    I'm extremely quad dominate- I never feel it in my *kitten* and hams. I think I feel butt more for front squats- but today I am in quad DOMS world because of my high rep sets of pause squats.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

you do 100's of body weight squats to warm up? how long does that take you? jeepers- I do 3-5 min of jump rope and jump straight under 95 pounds for warm up sets and then stretching.
    I'm extremely quad dominate- I never feel it in my *kitten* and hams. I think I feel butt more for front squats- but today I am in quad DOMS world because of my high rep sets of pause squats.

I guess I remember looking at my stats that my hams are way stronger than my quads.

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis so not only does that hurt my back but it is very difficult to get down that low.
    The scoliosis could make a difference how you approach squatting and other weight lifting exercises. It would be a good idea to get a referral from your doc to a sports PT and discuss your goals and any possible adaptations.

• JoRocka
    Options

I guess I remember looking at my stats that my hams are way stronger than my quads.

what do you mean?

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

If you are doing plain old back squats and your form is dead on then your quads should feel significantly less than your glutes and hams (atleast this is true for me). However, switch it up to some bulgarian split squats and them quads will be on fire :wink:

^^^^This, I usually do the bulgarian splits to work the quads after doing my regular squats. This is actually recommended in Wendler's 5/3/1 book as an a good accessory exercise on squat day.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I squat I lower my hips until they are parallel with my knees, and I don't let my knees go forward past my toes. I take in a big gulp of air as I start to go down and hold it in until I reach the bottom, then exhale on my way back up. I keep my shoulders back, my abs tight, and my back very straight throughout the movement.
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The first set is always pretty quick, a couple minutes? I know I'm about ready when I'm breathing more than squatting, and then I'll also know that I'm in the mental space for a squat session. Those last ones could be 5 minutes? Maybe more? I only do a few sets though. Also, I don't do that on days I'm testing where my 1RM might be.

I'll do 135# for 20s or 30s, a 2-3 sets.

I "was" quad dominant, but then invested a lot of work into my glutes and hams, and now I'm primarily feeling those after squat sessions. Ham curls, GHDs, hip thrusters.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

what do you mean?

I can deadlift a lot more than squat and I have been squatting for way longer than I have been deadlifting.

• JoRocka
    Options

what do you mean?

I can deadlift a lot more than squat and I have been squatting for way longer than I have been deadlifting.

most people can DL more than they can squat. That's pretty normal.

"was" quad dominant, but then invested a lot of work into my glutes and hams, and now I'm primarily feeling those after squat sessions. Ham curls, GHDs, hip thrusters.

you know it's funny- I an feel it sometimes in my butt at the bottom- but it's more of a stretch than I feel like it's working- it feels nothing like when I'm driving up from a hip thruster- I feel my butt mostly at the top for a squeeze- rather than pushing me up at out of the hole- which is perhaps why I struggle so much- My quads are pulling me up rather than my *kitten* pushing me up.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, unless you are looking to seriously bulk up, that is not the way you do squats. You knees should never go past you toes. That puts a lot of stress on you knees and leads to arthritis. The easiest way to think about a squat is to pretend there is a chair behind you. Stick your but way out and lower yourself to the "chair." Your knee does not bend more than 90 degrees. Keep you back in a straight line. It doesn't need to be vertical but not curving forward either. Holding or not holding at the bottom is more about endurance verses strength training. I would do multiple sets until your form starts to deteriorate. That's when you stop.
  • yopeeps025
    edited October 2014
    Options

what do you mean?

most people can DL more than they can squat. That's pretty normal.

I have been squatting at least two years more than my deadlift though. I do not think I have been deadlifting for a full year yet and it is still a lot more than squat.