Mardi Gras

Options
GulfcoastAL
GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
edited October 2014 in Chit-Chat
Anyone in MFP land getting excited about Mardi Gras time??? I am! Fat Tuesday is Feb. 17th, 2015. What are your plans and where? My plans are to fit beautifully in my treasured collection of full-length ball gowns as well as my mystic society float costume.

Replies

• bmoncada1
    bmoncada1 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    i want to go and give beads away...just saying
  • GulfcoastAL
    Options
    bmoncada1 wrote: »
    i want to go and give beads away...just saying
    It's fun- celebrations are all over the Gulf Coast and other places, so it should be doable. In my area, we also throw food (moonpies- a cookie treat, ramen noodles).
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i celebrate it all the time. I am fat tuesday, and fat wednesday and fat thursday and fat friday and fat saturday and fat sunday and fat monday....

all year long.

seriously, though - i'd like to go one time, just to do it, but i don't really care for hordes of drunk people.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've never done anything to celebrate, besides the occasional potluck at work a few years ago.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I celebrate it every year!!
  • GulfcoastAL
    Options
    i celebrate it all the time. I am fat tuesday, and fat wednesday and fat thursday and fat friday and fat saturday and fat sunday and fat monday....

all year long.

seriously, though - i'd like to go one time, just to do it, but i don't really care for hordes of drunk people.
    Love it! I don't either ( referencing drunk people). There are ways that it's avoidable (talk to a local). Some places even have marked out sections for non-drinking.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I throw a Pardi Gras at my house .......everything decorated with items I collected while being at Mardi Gras a cple years ago.

Waiting for my invite. lol.

• Dadof3bbg
    Options
    I'd get too wild in Mardi gras :(
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's October...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    it's October...

well if u wanted to go....and stay in the french quarter....with a good room u better have already made reservations........srsly.

i understand that. i've made vacation plans months ahead of time, and i've been to the french quarter multiple times.

just saying, it's still four months away.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    it's October...

well if u wanted to go....and stay in the french quarter....with a good room u better have already made reservations........srsly.

i understand that. i've made vacation plans months ahead of time, and i've been to the french quarter multiple times.

well we aren't dealing with the smartest people in the world....I mean I wouldn't have made a thread until it was within a month of the said event but you know.

True.

just fyi, if anyone is reading this and thinking, "yeah, i'd love to go to new orleans" do it. one of the most fun times i've had.

i was there once for Halloween and it was a blast. because of the costumes you get that Mardi Gras feel, but it's not nearly as crowded as it is in February.

also, staying at a hotel in the Quarter > staying outside the Quarter. totally worth the extra fifty bucks a night.
  • GulfcoastAL
    Options
    it's October...

well we aren't dealing with the smartest people in the world....I mean I wouldn't have made a thread until it was within a month of the said event but you know.

Yes, I'm quite sure you wouldn't, being a spectator. Forgive me, I've only been planning my mystic society's parade lineup since June of this year, the costume designs for 2016 since December 2013, etc. but carry on with the insults. Can't wait to see how smart you are.

• GulfcoastAL
    edited October 2014
    Options
    it's October...

I know, I just cannot BELIEVE it is October already. I've already been to at least two debutante events preparing for their 2015 Mardi Gras season. My first Mardi Gras ball is in the beginning of November due to,as I'm sure you know(being so smart and all!),the lingering custom of the effects of yellow fever.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Ragbunch wrote: »
    it's October...

Yes, I'm quite sure you wouldn't, being a spectator. Forgive me, I've only been planning my mystic society's parade lineup since June of this year, the costume designs for 2016 since December 2013, etc. but carry on with the insults. Can't wait to see how smart you are.

bless your heart
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Wth is Mardi gras? :neutral_face:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm still gearing up for Halloween in NOLA (coming up!! Whoop-whoop!!), so haven't quite started thinking about Mardi Gras. However, I usually hit one of the early Mardi Gras parades, and have at least checked the date.

Mardi Gras is very close to my birthday this year, so maybe I'll skip KdV and head down. I have friends that live in Uptown and while I really prefer staying in between Marigny and the Quarter, I know there are plenty of the parades that aren't any where near Bourbon, which I can barely stand when it isn't busy anyway.
  • GulfcoastAL
    Options
    Ragbunch wrote: »
    it's October...

bless your heart

It's actually used like this: " Bless his heart, he "thinks" he's an expert because he's been to the Quarter, but he wouldn't know a carre if it hit him."
    We don't say "bless your heart" like that- it's crass.

• GulfcoastAL
    edited October 2014
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I'm still gearing up for Halloween in NOLA (coming up!! Whoop-whoop!!), so haven't quite started thinking about Mardi Gras. However, I usually hit one of the early Mardi Gras parades, and have at least checked the date.

Mardi Gras is very close to my birthday this year, so maybe I'll skip KdV and head down. I have friends that live in Uptown and while I really prefer staying in between Marigny and the Quarter, I know there are plenty of the parades that aren't any where near Bourbon, which I can barely stand when it isn't busy anyway.

Right there with you, husseycd ! Thank you for replying in the spirit of the original posting. I grew up going to St. Patrick's Day with family who lived on Royale Street near the Gallier house. Sadly, they sold that property after Katrina.
  • bigdaddyincali
    bigdaddyincali Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Nola in 13 years :( I'll cook up some red beans and rice and maybe order a king cake (last time Gambino's left out my baby *grrr*)
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    The first trip I ever took with my (now) husband was to Texas (where he used to live) then we drove to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Came back with a lot of beads and the fear that my dad might stumble across some website of "Bob's Trip To Mardi Gras" and find pics of me earning those beads.

Mardi Gras would be a good excuse for an "adults only" party...after the craziness of the Christmas-New Year's season is over.