Weight gain after starting to lift

Options
I just started a lifting program last week and have noticed a weight gain of about 2-3lbs. Normal? Water retention? Will this go down after my body "gets used" to the program?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Water retention it is since water is also used to repair the muscle.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Normal: yes. Go down: yes and no. If you weigh every day, you might notice yourself a bit heavier on days after lifting (i.e. days you are sore). This is your body retaining water to repair the muscles.

My advice: step away from the scale for a few weeks and only use a tape measure to measure your progress.
  • shammathews
    shammathews Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I agree I should step away from the scale.. I can already notice a difference in my appearance but I've been hung up on "THE" number for so long now, it's kind of hard to let that go..
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I've been lifting 3x a week for about 6 months and have probably only lost about 5 pounds, but measurements have changed a lot. I weigh myself mostly out of curiosity, and I regularly jump around a 3-pound range. I often "gain" the day after a hard lift.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I agree I should step away from the scale.. I can already notice a difference in my appearance but I've been hung up on "THE" number for so long now, it's kind of hard to let that go..

I feel ya, because I have been there. I started at 154 lbs wanting to get down to 130. Funny thing is I got to 130 with only a deficit and cardio but I still wasn't happy with how I looked, started lifting now I'm right around 140 but I had to buy a smaller size clothes and my measurements are smaller than they were when I was at 130. I used to weigh every morning, now I weigh maybe once a month. The scale is not always right :) Good luck to you!!

• shammathews
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yesterday was a pretty intense workout, so I guess that would explain the gain today. I have gotten better about weighing everyday, now it's more like once a week. Definitely going to invest in some measuring tape from now on!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    Normal: yes. Go down: yes and no. If you weigh every day, you might notice yourself a bit heavier on days after lifting (i.e. days you are sore). This is your body retaining water to repair the muscles.

My advice: step away from the scale for a few weeks and only use a tape measure to measure your progress.

This. Once you start lifting weights the scale is going to drive you crazy. Forgot about the scale and take a photo of yourself at the beginning of each month so you can see the difference, also take a measurements so you stay motivated.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights 10 weeks ago and I have only lost like 10-12 lbs. But I have also gained 10 lbs of muscle and lost 27% of my total body fat. I went from 34.3% to 24.8%. I stopped caring about the pounds and now I focus on the body fat %s. I have also lost 2 dress sizes.....
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Branflakes1980 said it best. Do not become fixated on the scale alone. To me it has always been about how do I feel. Has my energy increased, can I feel my muscles expand and contract in daily movements.
  • shammathews
    Options
    Well today I avoided the scale but put on some pants that were too tight about two weeks ago and they fit great! So I guess something is working :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well today I avoided the scale but put on some pants that were too tight about two weeks ago and they fit great! So I guess something is working :)

NSV