Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    what if they tip sweets on your desk in a threatening manner
  • refuseresist
    Options
    The tribal mentality insists that you do whatever they do, and if you don't it's a threat or challenge.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A lot can be said for how you decline an offer. Saying "no thank you" is enough for a stranger, but why not go a bit further for a friend or coworker? Just a few words won't kill you. I get offered food all the time. Saying something like "Oh, aren't you so sweet for thinking of me! It looks delicious but I have to pass this time" will go a long way for the majority of people. I've never found anybody offended after this. Most of the time they just want to share their hard work, or their purchase, and acknowledging them can be enough. If they still push, you can still politely decline. A coworker of mine chooses to eat gluten-free. When well-intentioned people offer him food, he often says "No, it has wheat" and then walks away. A few more polite words would go a long way for him. I don't live a life of unicorns and rainbows, but civility can be more than just curt responses.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    what if they tip sweets on your desk in a threatening manner
    I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE.jpg
  • refuseresist
    Options
    I just send this to group email list: 18b4eca.jpg
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't get the 'offence' being committed? They offer you a biscuit, you say 'No thank you' . If people are offended by that, they need to get out more.

^^^^this^^^^
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I got hurt feelings, I got hurt feelings

I love this song!

Right now its easy for me to turn down food since I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, so when someone presses me, I just tell them I have to get into a swimsuit. I do not understand why people feel the need to push the issue; no means no, dammit!

• refuseresist
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »

I love this song!

Right now its easy for me to turn down food since I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, so when someone presses me, I just tell them I have to get into a swimsuit. I do not understand why people feel the need to push the issue; no means no, dammit!

Was every suit you tried too big around the thighs?
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    A housemate used to fill each plate herself when it was her night to cook, rather than allowing others to take what they felt they could eat, and she would give me about twice as much (usually pasta with thick sauce) as I could pack in. At first I tried to eat it all to be polite and almost got sick a couple times. Then I tried asking her nicely for less, but she got offended and accused me of not liking her cooking or appreciating her efforts. Then I started taking my "leftovers" to work and pretending I was having them for lunch, but I actually tossed them and brought home the empty container. Bad situation all around. I finally got my own place and now I don't have to deal with it anymore. Really, in my view, grown-ups have no business telling other grown-ups how much to eat, what to eat, or when, unless there's a diagnosed ED or other psychological issue.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »

I love this song!

Was every suit you tried too big around the thighs?

What the what?! Dude, its just an excuse I use when I don't want to eat crap and one most people don't argue with me about. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it after my vacation.

• Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    In that situation I just take the chocolate and give it someone else xD but I don't like awkward situations
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I politely accept and then pass it on to someone else who will appreciate my kindness
    Kind of like re-gifting :D
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    I think their offense might be in your head. I doubt they were truly offended, although they may be surprised to see someone turn down a free offer. I turn down food all the time, but do so with a smile, and I'm confident I've never once offended someone doing this.

Agreed. Are you sure you aren't imagining their "offense"? I used to have a friend who would dream up all these imagined looks in her head. She was constantly saying things like "Did you see the look that girl gave me? I think she hates my shoes".
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Offense over not accepting food offered is called "butthurt,"and it's not valid. They need to get over it.
  • CandOr1
    CandOr1 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jimmy28 wrote: »
    Getting looks is often so subjective I think a lot of times we project whatever we're feeling into those looks.
    So my main point of all of this is don't rely on hostility or a f*** everyone mentality as your defense mechanism to make your choices in life. It's hard and unhealthy to maintain.
    Ultimately we're responsible for ourselves in these situations and the healthier our response the better off we'll be for it in the long run.
    ^-- I agree with EVERY WORD of jimmy28's post on page 1 (particularly the bits I've pasted above).

OP, and anyone else who finds himself or herself in this situation, consider whether you might be inferring more than was intended. When you've been on the other side of the situation, were you genuinely offended if someone said "No, thank you" to your offering?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time. It stinks
  • CandOr1
    CandOr1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Are you sure you aren't imagining their "offense"? I used to have a friend who would dream up all these imagined looks in her head. She was constantly saying things like "Did you see the look that girl gave me? I think she hates my shoes".

This. And LOL at the example. I had a friend like that many years ago. Good grief, it was exhausting to be around that!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Offense over not accepting food offered is called "butthurt,"and it's not valid. They need to get over it.

Unless their love language is acts of service, in which case it's not the rejection of the food itself, it's the rejection of their way of showing they care. Food was just the vehicle.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I started a new job in an office where they have a kitchen right in the next room and employees often cook, like 3-4 times a week, pancakes, hash browns, large batches of cookies, and the boss brings a huge box of doughnuts in 2-3 times a week.

THAT IS SO COOL!!!! I wish I had a full kitchen where I work!
    clariemoo wrote: »
    I just got some dirty and wtf type of looks cause I said no to the free piece of chocolate with the coffee I ordered ... the people behind the counter stared at me like I was an alien and were like "omg but its free!!!!!" . What is it with the obligation to eat something cause its free ?

My BF and I go out to brunch every other week. One of us gets some sort of "sweet" breakfast, such as stuffed french toast, and the other gets an omelette or egg and protein heavy dish. Usually the egg dish comes with hash browns, bacon and toast. Neither of us like the toast really and we have just gotten used to telling the waitress no toast. (If we are lucky we get the same AWESOME waitress who remembers our standard order and brings coffee with her to the table when she first greets us, even if we haven't been there for a month or two!) The toast is technically something we PAY for, but my thing is why waste food? Especially if it is at a cafe where you know that someone else will eat it?

I have an issue with people who make "elaborate displays" of throwing away food they felt pressured into taking. First because I agree with some of the above posters that many people offer food as a show of Love. I am one of those people. I love to cook and I think I am good at it (and my boyfriend and his roommate haven't complained yet!) But I have learned that my one friend doesn't like candy, or is so super picky about it that he won't eat the caramels I make at Christmas. I don't make them for him anymore because of that. My other friend just told me he is going gluten-free for stomach problems. Great! Thanks for telling me! We are both trying to watch what we eat, but we are in a class that has presentations at the end of the semester and I wanted to bring something to share. Now I will try to make something gluten-free that is relatively healthy.

Second, there is so much food waste in so many countries that I try not to contribute to it. I watched this video and since then I have tried to be very precise with what I buy and make. http://www.ted.com/talks/tristram_stuart_the_global_food_waste_scandal?language=en

Third, by making a big deal about it, you are being a twit. Yes you can do whatever you want with the food, but by making a big scene you are fueling future hostilities in the work place. Take it and throw it away quietly later. I do this all the time with stuff that I don't like. I'll take it, because it looks good, have a bite, realize it tastes awful, and throw the rest away discretely. If it is really awful, you can always "wipe your mouth" and spit out the bite you took.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Stop fussing so much about someone looking at you funny. You don't have to accept the food to be polite! Just smile, shake your head and say 'No, thank you". If they offer again, just smile, shake your head and say, "No, thank you". And then don't worry about what their faces look like. You're wasting energy.