Prefer working out alone?

Options
Anyone else like this? I tried going to the gym with my boyfriend, and to be brutally honest, I don't like it. Nothing against him, but I really enjoy working out alone. Maybe that's why I never really liked group classes...

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone too. I'm introverted and need to deal with people all day long so my work outs are "me" time. I like to just put in my headphones, get my work out in and then go about the rest of my evening
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do drive to the gym together, yes.

Work out together? Sweet baby Jesus, no! That would be a recipe for quitting. Our goals are different, our bodies are different, our workout preferences are different. So no.

I'm primarily a swimmer, so yeah, working out alone is awesome to me. But even in the weight room, leave me to be blasting some good prog metal and lemme alone and I'm happy like I had good sense.

Group classes are not my favorite thing, though I tolerate them when I must because I'm trying to learn a physical skill.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I workout alone, I like it but sometimes it would be nice to have a spotter and I don't want to bother others at the gym
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I work out alone as well. My husband and I don't even drive to the gym together. It bugs me if he gets done first and is waiting around impatiently for me.....LOL

I have a trainer one morning a week, that's it for my socializing, and I try not to let him talk too much even then.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    me too. But I don't like people.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i have worked out with a PT, taken classes and did the whole gym thing. I prefer working out in my basement by myself. I like that no one is around and just good alone time for me.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    We go to the gym together but once we walk through the front door, she goes her way and I go mine... She will send me a txt when she is finishing up to let me know she is ready to go soon.... She is normally on the indoor track down stairs or in the circuit area on the Nautilus and I am always in the weight room. If I need a spot I just ask whoever is in there, never have an issue, someone is always willing to spot you if you ask..... Best of Luck.....
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I can relate to so many of these replies lol. I deal with people all day as well, and need that time alone....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out alone, but I prefer doing just about everything alone... so I think it's more a character trait than something specific to exercise.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I workout alone, I like it but sometimes it would be nice to have a spotter and I don't want to bother others at the gym

Me as well. Like the headphones turned way up and just working out alone. But I have had some of my best workouts with a spotter. Really surprised myself with 2-3 more reps that I would not have attempted alone.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Anyone else like this? I tried going to the gym with my boyfriend, and to be brutally honest, I don't like it. Nothing against him, but I really enjoy working out alone. Maybe that's why I never really liked group classes...

I tried going to the gym with your boyfriend too. He didn't keep up.

How you doin'?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I can relate to so many of these replies lol. I deal with people all day as well, and need that time alone....
    Here, here! My gym time is for ME. That is the only place I'm NOT a wife, mom, employee, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with those roles - I chose them, but my workout time is sacred!

My husband doesn't like it. Maybe I should have him read this thread. He thinks I'm the only person that feels this way. :(
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I MUCH prefer working out alone - the exception is that I do actually like group exercise classes, but if I'm lifting or running, I really like to go solo. Others are distracting, actually.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I'm sure if I told my boyfriend this he would take it the wrong way too. But it is true, there are many things that I enjoy doing alone, just because of the type of person I am. Working out is one of them. I get into my zone and forget about everything around me. The next step is to leave my actual phone at home and use a mp3 player for music. Zero distractions during my time!
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone unless it is in a class setting. I primarily lift, and do this by myself, but I also take a TRX class sometimes that has an 8 person limit.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out by myself. The only other person I can work out with is my husband, but our schedules clash so I exercise by myself and love it. I don't like group exercises classes. I find if I go to the gym with a friend, I don't get the same workout I would have if I had been by myself because their fitness levels and goals are different.

I just put on my headphones, listen to my music and do my routine just fine by myself.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I do enjoy group classes, but when it comes to an actual workout like lifting, I want to be alone. I don't like having "workout buddy." I feel like I'm under pressure and they're watching me. Or vice versa, I feel like I'm supposed to watch them and make sure they're doing well and... this is me being selfish, but my workout is my me time, so I don't want to have to worry about that stuff.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't mind working out with someone as long as they're on the same level or above. Lowering or changing the weights becomes a hassle after every single set.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I MUCH prefer working out alone - the exception is that I do actually like group exercise classes, but if I'm lifting or running, I really like to go solo. Others are distracting, actually.

Same! Although - I don't mind doing a circuit with a friend either. If I am on the cardio or weights though - leave me to it!
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes and no, I love working out alone and at home, I get more done and push myself and can look ridiculously gross and not really have to get dressed with no one but my kids to see me. I love group classes though too, as long as the group isn't a very chatty group. I went to a morning kick boxing class and an evening one in the same day (same workout, different people) The morning group was always chatty and we only go through half of the routine. The evening class could seem to manage talking and catching up while actually getting a work out in even if it was through barely audible breathless conversation. As for working out with my husband or taking a friend with me to the gym... I prefer not to.