Can't stick to diet.....

Options
Hello All,

I will start this discussion with a little bit about myself, I am 19, 127lbs and 5'2' and I cannot for the life of me stick to a diet! I don't know why, a fortnight goes by and then I am back to square one! when I started my mfp journey back in May/June I was 132lbs and wanting to get down to 110lbs, anyway I went on this restricting 1000 calorie diet and within the month I had got down to 114 pounds, I then stopped with this madness as it was becoming terribly restrictive and brought back bad anorexia memories from when I was 15. Moving on - I then went on to gain back the weight, which was quickly gained within two weeks, I was back at square one, I was 125lbs, I then decided 1200 would be the way but no, little old me cannot stick to that.
Basically to sum this all up, I want to lose 20lbs, not extremely slow but I would like to do this by Christmas time, I will workout 4 days a week, cardio for an hour. What calories would be the best to lose this weight by Christmas?

Thank you all of you.

Replies

• WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Is 107lbs actually a healthy weight for you?
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    An hour of cardio....I hate cardio! If you start lifting some weights, using some weight machines you will gain muscle which burns fat and more calories on a day to day basis.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Yes 107 is a healthy weight for me.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    My Doctor said my weight can be between 105 and 110 to be healthy for my frame.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    so I am a bit overweight lol
  • markwaldron370
    Options
    According to the National Institutes of Health, a woman should weigh roughly 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet of height and then an additional 5 lbs. for every inch over this height. If you're 5 feet 4 inches tall, your ideal body weight is right around 120 lbs. But with petite women of a small frame, you should also subtract 10 percent from this body weight. This means that your ideal body weight is now 108 lbs. Larger frames add 10 percent, so your ideal body weight is now 132 lbs

There is a good link that gives quite a good guide to what you should do to loose that weight in 3 months
    http://www.wikihow.com/Lose-10-Kg-Fast
  • markwaldron370
    Options
    If you are doing an hour cardio each day you workout i think that 1200-1300 calories a day should be perfect, and you should definitely include weights into your gym sessions this will help increase your metabolism which will help with fat burning!

Good luck!!
  • rach3649
    Options
    I think given you have a past of eating disorder issues you should seek help from your doctor or a dietitian (or both) and get actual professional advice and monitoring and not go this alone.
    The healthy weight range for someone your height starts at 110 pounds, not 102.
  • markwaldron370
    Options
    dont see you suggesting anything!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dont see you suggesting anything!!

She suggested OP ignore a waste of time and space link. Seems like a reasonable suggestion to me.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you are doing an hour cardio each day you workout i think that 1200-1300 calories a day should be perfect, and you should definitely include weights into your gym sessions this will help increase your metabolism which will help with fat burning!

Good luck!!
    What the...?!? No. I'm 5'4", 127 pounds, doing a half hour of cardio 3x a week, 45 minutes of lifting 3-4x a week, and losing on 1600 calories. I would start trying to eat my coworkers on 1200 calories, especially if I tried to do an hour of cardio!
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    107lbs put her at 19.6 BMI (18.5-24.2 is normal range).
    NIH website:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit. I got one and found that the reason I was hungry all the time is that my fidgeting adds up. I need to eat about 2,000 calories a day to LOSE weight. It is the other part of the equation I needed to stick to a healthy eating plan. (How much I burn vs. how much I eat.) When I was only eating 1,200 calories a day I was STARVING and couldn't stick with it. Now I know why. When you burn between 2,500 and 3,000 calories a day, a deficit in that range is not sustainable. You may be having the same problem if you are exercising a bunch. Good luck! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can't stick to too restrictive of a diet because its just that. Set your goal for .5 pound a week.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    20 lbs in 2 months....is pretty unrealistic. Even at 30% off your TDEE, you won't hit 107 in time.....do it the right way. Log accurately, workout hard, eat the same calories daily ....

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Forget "dieting"; make a lifestyle change.

Also, no adult human -- unless they have a serious congenital issue like dwarfism -- should be eating 1000 calories per day for any reason.