Can't stick to diet.....

Options
2»

Replies

• fitsporation96
    Options
    rkalllison wrote: »
    OP doesn't care about the right way...she's 19...still young and us "old" people (over the age of 25) have no clue as to what we are talking about. It's like talking to a wall.

I do care about the right way, I may be young and have done it in a silly way before, I am just confused on which way is the right way.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What does MFP give you as your target if you tell it you want to lose 0.5 pounds a week? At your current weight and height, especially considering your ED history, it's a really bad idea to try to lose more than that.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    It sets at 1850 to lose 0.5 pounds a week, that is way too much for me.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You're dooming yourself to fail by not planning a lifestyle change.
    Diets are dreary and hellish. I hate diets and could never stick to one. BLAHHH!

Check out my diary which is public and see how I eat. Does that look like a "diet"?
    All I do is eat kind of healthy and follow MFP recommendations. That's what works long term.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    1 pound is 1600 calories, I don't know if this is too much
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You might not be listening to what your body needs. Your body knows the "right" way. Are you able to see a nutritionist? Nutrition and eating right is much more than just calories.
    OP doesn't care about the right way...she's 19...still young and us "old" people (over the age of 25) have no clue as to what we are talking about. It's like talking to a wall.

I do care about the right way, I may be young and have done it in a silly way before, I am just confused on which way is the right way.

• fitsporation96
    Options
    I had it set to 1400 previously. I think I will stick to that.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try these websites to calculate what your calories should be.

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    TDEE is the number of calories your body needs when you add daily activities, exercise, lifestyle, etc to BMR. This is the number of calories you need daily to maintain your current weight and is about the amount you should eat on the days you're not fasting.

Eat above your BMR and below your TDEE to lose weight.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    (to get military body fat)
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    (to get BMR)
    TDEE based on activity level is at the bottom of the page. You can choose the % of TDEE that you want to eat daily to lose weight. (I use 80%).

Or alternatively you can use:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    In step 2 (based on %s) you are choosing your daily calories to eat
    In step 3 hit calculate to see breakdown of macros

One of the best things you can do, if you haven't already, is get a food scale.

Good luck.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OP said she's 5' 2". 100+5+5=110 would be an ideal weight for an average-framed person. If OP's doctor said her ideal range is 105-110, then she probably has a small frame. I don't know why people keep wanting to drive each other's goal weights to a higher number when their goal is within the healthy BMI range. There are plenty of people of that height and weight in other countries, but the U.S. and Canada are used to bigger people I guess so they like to tell people they're too skinny. It's considered mean to tell someone they're too fat (as it should be) but telling someone they're too skinny or they should eat more seems to be okay with a lot of people...

BOT- Can't stick to a diet? Here are some suggestions:
    1. Don't keep snacks around, and keep yourself distracted. That way you can eat during meals and won't be tempted to go over your daily goal because there is always food around or because you're bored. There are always new projects you can start or work on to keep yourself busy if you run out of productive things to do.
    2. Eat small portions at mealtimes. Wait 20-30 minutes to see if you're still hungry before getting more food. Eat until you're at a 7 or 8 instead of 10 on how full you feel. I think a lot of people eat huge portions and then go back for more because they still feel hungry because their brain hasn't registered that they've eaten. And then they end up at a 10 or higher because they kept eating. I also hear it can be helpful for some people to eat slower and chew your food more.
    3. Remember your calorie goal is a NET not the total number of calories. If you exercise, you should eat back some of those calories (just be careful because a lot of programs overestimate how much was burned and you might end up overeating). The daily goal is assuming you don't exercise at all. Exercise and you can eat more food.
    4. Don't deprive yourself. If you want a treat, have it... in moderation. 80% "healthy", 20% indulgent. Just have treats less often and in smaller amounts (maybe the size of a handful). Choose a kids' meal or small meal instead of a combo at a drive-thru. Just make sure you stay under your calorie goal.
  • AliceDark
    Options

you can always set it yourself at like 1400 calories and work towards that.
    Or, you could try using the tool as it was intended and see if it works for you. If your issue is adherence -- if you have trouble sticking to an extreme diet -- upping your calories a little and making it easier for yourself to stick to it isn't a bad thing.

• AliceDark
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

you can always set it yourself at like 1400 calories and work towards that.
    Or, you could try using the tool as it was intended and see if it works for you. If your issue is adherence -- if you have trouble sticking to an extreme diet -- upping your calories a little and making it easier for yourself to stick to it isn't a bad thing.

wow...she said that it was too much for her to eat. This "tool" had me set at 1200 calories and that was too low. Maybe you need to go back and read everything before you comment.
    She also said she has a history of a restrictive eating disorder and is exercising quite a bit. It's entirely possible that her perception of how much is "too much" to eat is a little bit skewed, and for you to be encouraging her to eat less may not be the best advice.

OP, here's another calculator that works on a slightly different principal than MFP (it accounts for your weekly average exercise in your daily total, so you don't eat back exercise calories): http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's recommending you eat 1740 calories for a 20% reduction, which is fairly aggressive.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting. Start eating the way you plan to for the rest of you life... just stick to your calorie goal while you do it.

I'm also 5'2. At 127 lbs, you are not overweight in the least bit. You are in the healthy range for BMI. Losing weight at this point is not only going to be harder, but it's going to take longer. Sorry, but losing 20ish lbs by Christmas is just not going to happen. It's neither realistic nor healthy to even think so.

IMO, follow the Scooby calculator with 10-15% reduction OR set your MFP goal to .5 lbs/week and eat back a portion of your exercise calories.