I can't run!!

How embarrassing ...... I can't run more than 2 minutes on the treadmill. I'm so out of shape. I don't get it. I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical but running, at a lower speed, I can't manage to do it. I have seen others at the gym run like it is nothing .... even big girls. How long does it take you to build up to running longer? Do I keep doing the 2 minutes and then walk and then 2 minutes and then walk? I want to run!! Any suggestions? What happens is my breathing gets heavy and then my lower legs start hurting and then I just give up.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Try out the couch to 5K app/plan.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    It honestly doesn't take long. Try Couch to 5K. Its amazing how quickly you build endurance. I couldn't run more than 30 seconds earlier this year, now I can run about 20 minutes straight. Honestly, if you keep doing a little bit at a time, you will see improvements very quickly. The elliptical is a good workout, but its a lot less impact so its easier on the body than running. Plus, if you do the elliptical often, you are probably used to it so its not as challenging as it once was.

Keep at it! ITs really rewarding when you start seeing improvements in running!
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    There's something about running that is very psychological. Couple that with the fact that a treadmill forces you to go a single speed rather than you being in control of your own pace (like on an elliptical) can make it very difficult. I can run much farther outside than I can on a treadmill because I get a lot less bored (since I'm not in one place the entire time) and I can control my pace much easier than I can on a treadmill.

And like the poster above said, couch to 5K is a great starting point for building stamina.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    everyone can run! I know it seems hard at first but it's all about being persistent. I used to HATE running. now I run 5+ miles every single day. it's definitely hard work and it takes a lot of patience on your end to tell yourself not to give up but I promise you it is so worth it. I agree with everyone above; Couch to 5K is a great start. give it a try!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Yep, this is how it is when you start to run. I could easily do an hour on the elliptical but 2 minutes of running made me feel like I was dying.

Couch to 5k really helped. I got to about week 7, then just started running without the program. One day I did a mile, then a few days later 1.5, and I remember the day I ran for a half hour straight clearly. Now an 8-mile run is no big deal and I can run a half marathon with a little training.

If you want to run, stick with the C25k program. It's still hard, but it will get you there. Don't focus on speed at all at this point; just run for time. Speed will come later.

And just so you know, even though it gets easier, I still didn't really "like" running until I increased my distance. Even now, I don't love the first two miles of any run, but then it becomes my favorite thing ever.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Definitely download the app... you'll be amazed at how quickly you improve.
    First rule of running... don't compare yourself to others, it just drives you crazy.
    Running is the hardest thing I've ever done, and mentally very challenging but the most rewarding!
  • Don't be embarrassed. I am so not a runner and it takes me longer or more motivation to get it done. I've heard very good things about the couch to 5 k, or similar apps. Also, for me, I am not a fan of running on a treadmill. I need real landmarks to make me move...I tell myself things like, "just run to that tree and then you can walk," or "keep running until the end of the block and then you can walk." Running in the real world also let's you change your pace as needed. If you develop your own route, then the distance will remain the same and you just have to challenge yourself on the pace (more jogging, less walking). Good luck! :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Lose the word can't.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    I'm doing couch to 5k and discovered I like it more when I'm not wheezing and apparently I underpronate. So first day back I had to stop part way through week 1 day 1 I'm not quite in good enough shape for it but I broke a 15 min mile and I couldn't even do that in high school so remember it could be worse. Good luck with this.
  • Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement! I can't wait to try again at the gym tonight. I will definately check out the couch to 5K. Oh, and Kbmnurse .... you are right I need to lose the workd CAN'T! Thank you for the reminder. :)
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Lose the word can't.

Exactly. I started out a powerlifter and was told I would never be able to qualify for Ranger School in the Army; they require an 8 minute mile/5 mile pace. I worked my way up to 13.1 miles/6.5 min per mile pace. ... I grew up being told how stupid I was; now, I hold 2 masters degrees and am not too far from finishing a PhD. Can't? Just do it. Drink water. Today, run 30 seconds. Tomorrow, run a minute. Just keep building a little bit at a time ... You can do it.

I tore my peraneal tendons and had surgery to reattach them. I am currently way overweight and losing lbs. I am using the stair mill for cardio until I get my weight down enough to run, again.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    c25K. I used that. I have done a few 5K's and have done fairly well in them. I have been running off and on since about 2005. I still hate running. I do it a lot in Crossfit and usually once per week on my own, but it has never become enjoyable. :\ I must say I do like a good 100 m spring tho. I'm a fast twitcher. That longer stuff...Some people love it though. Give it a go!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I am the opposite! I can run (for about 20 minutes) but put me on the elliptical and I wanna die after 2 mins lol.

Goes to show that you are good at what you practice! So get out there and get plodding!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    C25K is a great way to build up to running. You want to take it easy at first, not only because you need to build up stamina, but also because running is high impact on the joints, and you want to slowly accustom them to the added stress.

Here's some great advice for the beginning runner: Start out slow, then ease off. :smile: If you can't say a complete sentence when you're running, slow down. If you can sing, speed up. That will get you in the sweet spot of moderate intensity. After you've been running 5K without stopping for a few months, you can add speedwork if you want.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    June 1st I ran a 10 minute half mile and thought I would die. Last week I ran a 5K race in 23:19 and am running 5miles in just over 42 mins. It just takes a bit of determination and you will see results. :)
  • I tried the C25K for the first time lastnight. I like it! I didn't get to run all the times it said to but I did the majority and walked through the 2 jogging times I missed. I felt like I was going to die but I'm gonna stay positive and keep at it. No pain no gain. :)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    I tried the C25K for the first time lastnight. I like it! I didn't get to run all the times it said to but I did the majority and walked through the 2 jogging times I missed. I felt like I was going to die but I'm gonna stay positive and keep at it. No pain no gain. :)

That's OK...just keep pushing. As many will tell you, the biggest issue is not pushing too hard too fast.

I started a c25k program a few years ago and remembered hardly being able to do 1 minute of jogging without feeling like I was going to die. The idea of doing it again 4 or 5 more times in a session seemed impossible. Then I made the mistake of running with my neighbor who was more advanced than I was. We ran about 6 minutes straight and I literally thought i was going to throw up.

I hated running since that time. But this July I started all over with the Zen Labs program. It did a really good job of letting you build endurance...then pushing you. You'll surprise yourself with how much longer you could go each week. (everybody freaks out on the day it asks you to run 20 minutes straight :) )

I ran my first 5k in September. I now run 4 days a week and average about 15 miles a week. I NEVER would have thought I would be a runner. Now I can't wait to get out.

Just my opinion, but you may want to try going outside and running. I know for me, and many others, running on a treadmill is very monotonous compared to running outside.

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I tried the C25K for the first time lastnight. I like it! I didn't get to run all the times it said to but I did the majority and walked through the 2 jogging times I missed. I felt like I was going to die but I'm gonna stay positive and keep at it. No pain no gain. :)

Awesome! Nice work pushing through. It WILL get better eventually :)
  • I am doing the Zen Labs program and had the same experience with week one. I managed to complete the first work out but thought there was no way I was going to make it. I was red, sweaty, gasping and disappointed in how out of shape I was. This week I am starting week 5 and just for giggles I tested my self this past weekend just to see what my improvement was and I managed to jog 2 miles before I needed to walk. My pace was 13:45/mi. I am getting ready for a 5k on Thanksgiving and truly believe that this program will have me ready. Just have faith knowing that it is working for people that started out just like you.

PS...I do find it easier to do the program outside than in the gym.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    How embarrassing ...... I can't run more than 2 minutes on the treadmill... yet

FYP

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Using the elliptical can be a little deceiving as the only resistance on the machine is what you set. I specifically set my resistance (or grade) higher so that it makes it much more difficult. I used to be a big runner, 5+ miles a day 6 days a week but got arthritis in the knees and now strictly use the elliptical. Running on a treadmill makes you move your own bodyweight forward at whatever steady pace you set. A good start may be to raise your gradient and walk at a fast pace to raise your heart rate until you get used to it and then start running at a slower pace. Try to focus on your breathing and learn breath control. Good luck to you and good luck on reaching your goals.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited October 2014
    C25K is a good start, but to me jogging is all mental.

I am a newbie to jogging.... only been doing it for about two weeks or so, but I jog for at least 40 minutes at a time at a sloooow 3.5ish mph pace, with incline from 2 to 5% on the treadmill. Sometimes I jog outside at the park or at the track.

Whenever I feel like I want to quit I tell myself NO. As long as my joints aren't hurting and as long as I'm not having muscle cramps, I tell myself "NO, keep going, keep breathing--- in through nose, out through mouth" and it works. Whenever I finish, I'm not out of breath. I actually feel like I didn't workout hard enough, but I don't want to push it too much.

I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. When I want to cut a workout shorter than planned, I always tell myself that those who are physically handicapped would kill to be able to jog/walk/pedal for an hour; it's all mental. My opinion is that as long as you are not hurting, like truly hurting, and as long as your joints feel fine, then continue to push yourself.

Psych yourself out. Say, one more minute, then once that minute is up, say one more minute again. Find some great cardio music. I love listening to eurobeat music. There are various albums on youtube I like to pull up while doing cardio. This is what I'm listening to now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29o9I8AJuBE . Sometimes I listen to a single pop song on repeat. I just try to do whatever to get myself through my planned workout.

I agree with the user above that said get rid of the word "can't". It's really mostly mental. You'll see. C25K will show you how amazing you can be.

ETA: Also, make sure you are running with the correct form. The internet is amazing. I looked up all this before beginning my own little jogging program. Keep your head up and keep your back straight. Don't create torque with bringing your arms across your abdomen. Just be as prepared as you can be because you don't want to hurt yourself. You're aiming for a lifetime of fitness.
  • hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    My experience with treadmill running was awful, I tried for weeks and weeks and I couldn't do it. The first time I tried running outside, I ran just over 3 miles like I had been doing it forever. Could be all in my head, but I ditched the treadmill and run outside or on a track. I'll be running my first 10k on the first and I'm confident I'll finish without walk breaks. I'd say try it, might make a big difference for you too. Oh, I had never really run in my life and any of the apps mentioned are great. I use the Nike running app.
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Your first run will be your worse, but you only get better the more you do it. Run at a pace you feel comfortable and you will build up. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I was right there about 2 1/2 years ago: I went to spinning class, I did elliptical, I did the crosstrainer--I was in great shape! But then my son's lacrosse team had a parents vs. kids game and I thought I was going to die from the running! I set my mind to it right then that I was going to start running (I hadn't really run since middle school track!). And so I did. I started out with a C25k plan, but in the first week I found it was a little too easy. I improvised. I ran on the treadmill and I ran on the track at the local high school. Less than 8 weeks after that fateful lacrosse game I ran a 2 mile race in 19 minutes. I kept running. 3 months later I ran my first 5k in under 25 minutes. Still kept running. I've run a couple more 5k races since then and even took some time off for other pursuits. But I'm still running and at the end of this month I will be running my first half marathon which I'm targeting to finish in under 2 hours.

The moral of the story: running isn't easy, but if you put your mind to it, you can do it!

Good luck!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    It sounds like you have the heart of a runner you just haven't found your zone yet. I personally like to run alone, don't mind the dog but other people please just let me be. I unplug from everything except my GPS which I use for mileage and just clear the mind. I'm not a racer by any stretch but when my run is complete I feel amazing, work for that, just find your zone, try slowing down, speeding up, shorter steps, longer steps and so on. The C25K I've heard great things about and that's kind of what I did to start running except I just did it, didn't have a plan just did what felt natural.
    Whatever you do, keep setting goals for yourself, mine was I just want to run a mile and now I'm up to almost 4, but I still remember how proud I was of that first mile and oddly enough I hate treadmills and it was on a hotel treadmill.
  • Thanks for sharing all of your inspiring stories. I will be back at the gym tonight giving it another shot. I do have a dog. Maybe I will try running with him. He is a horse and usually walks me. Maybe that will help calm him down also.
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    I can not run either. I try, but I tore my left meniscus simply by running. That is the only thing I remember doing that could have caused it. After surgery, my right knees acting up. So, it literally hurts to run. I've decided to work out in different ways just because my wanting to run is not nearly as powerful as my not wanting a knee replacement for as long as possible. But everyone has different goals and, well, different knees lol. So take it easy at first and work your way up. Try not to compare your time and ability to others.
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    I started running (after about 5 years of not) about 6 months ago....began on the treadmill and progressed to outside after a few months. I started at below 4mph for about 20 minutes and slowly increased both my mph and time gradually. I can now run a 5K at about a 9.5 min mile pace and usually run on the treadmill at around a 9 min mile, which I'm gradually trying to get to an 8.5 min mile. I found that it's all about gradually increasing your pace and talking yourself through the times when you want to quit before you finish your allotted time...music that's at the right pace for what you're trying to run is helpful as well :)