Prefer working out alone?

Options
13»

Replies

• HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym with my fiance. We're both starting our journey at the gym, so we'll go on the treadmill together, but we don't always stick together the whole time. He'll do weights while I go on the bike as an example. I could do it either way.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I enjoy both. But I have a tendency to coach or correct my boyfriend and it hurts his ego so he refuses to work out with me. I enjoy working out with friends but get annoyed when we have to wait to alternate between our sets.

I guess for me it's fine to have another person there who isn't working out and can watch/correct/spot and vice versa.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Geez, I've even dumped my dog as a walking buddy - I'm that keen to be alone and not watching anyone else. I have twin toddlers, though, so I get a bit emotionally washed out through the day.
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a huge working at home person! It is a huge time saver and you don't have to deal with the whole people thing. You can even get group classes at home through DVD programs. Have you looked into any?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I work out alone but sometimes in a group environment. I like group classes because I can just hide in the crowd. Most of my workouts are from horseback riding or dance anyway and aren't social activities
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I prefer working out alone as well. In my room with a video or music or jogging with my headphones. I talked my sister into doing a 5k with me, but we still don't train together. A) because I can already run a 5k in 30 minutes and she cannot (which is why I gave her the C25K app) and B ) because she's someone who has to go to the gym or she won't work out (and she also has a PT). Give me a workout dvd or a youtube video and I'm good to go.

I also like the silence of working out alone. Especially, during a run. Just me, my headphones, the sound of my breathing and my feet hitting the ground. It's super relaxing.

Although, I will go to the occasional Kettlebell class b/c I'm working on my technique so I don't get injured.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Definitely better alone. I need to leave the house every once in a while on my own (as in... Hello, I'm an hermit who sometimes needs to get sunlight). Tried to take mom along once, but everything annoyed me... Like, little things: she was slow, that path was muddy (well... tell me a day it isn't, but tell me a day it does really bother me) and that she wouldn't shut up and so on. Nobody's fault, but it's my time to be on my own.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Im normally an extrovert, but have become an introvert in recent years when I am out in public.

That being said, I hate working out with someone. I would rather be by myself in my own world.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone too. I'm introverted and need to deal with people all day long so my work outs are "me" time. I like to just put in my headphones, get my work out in and then go about the rest of my evening

You summarized how I feel beautifully!

I also dislike having to slow down or speed up to keep up with another person, and also don't like to potentially be distracted. I limit my workouts to 30-45 minutes for a reason; for intense cardio. Not to waste my time at the gym, and to be able to set my own pace.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Being alone is a primary reason to work out. That's why I built a home gym.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone. It enables me to concentrate on the lessons that the Iron has for me. Learning about what you’re made of is always time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. ~Henry Rollins
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yup! I go alone and I love it that way. On my days when I'm just walking… (outdoors, not the treadmill) then I don't mind company. But otherwise, I prefer being alone. The group classes wouldn't bother me too much as long as I'm going alone and not with a friend. Being alone in a group of strangers is still being alone.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i enjoy my group zumba classes.... but when i run and do my weight training at the gym i plug in my headphones and really focus on my routine. I like people just fine, but when i have my headphones in i can listen to my hardcore strength training music blasting in my ears and it really pumps me up for my reps. I can't pump myself up like that without my music. i always welcome constructive conversation, but having my headphones in sends a message to others that i am in my own little world and that works for me! do whatever works for you! :-)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I like to work in the company of like-minded others but work alone - that's why I have the reputation of being the smallest guy in the yoga studio but with the widest mat! I do like to work some partner stuff but do like to return to my safe place.
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    me too. But I don't like people.

+1 for this. I plug my earphones in and get on with it.

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I tried going with a colleague from work in order to make it more of an "appointment" and ensure that I got there, but I really just wanted to work out and leave while she was very chatty and everything seemed to take longer as we had discussions over everything we were doing. Then I felt bad when she went out for surgery and I felt like I was abandoning her if I went by myself. Simpler just to go it alone, for me... it's been long enough that I can now go back and feel like I'm starting afresh.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    jorge_ta83 wrote: »
    Nothing more beautiful than an empty gym (for my selfish purposes lol).

YES! I do a happy dance inside when I get to the gym on a Saturday around 1 PM and there is no one on the cardio machines and only two guys down in the weights.

I go it alone, too. I do go to a yoga class once a week, but I stopped asking my friends to go with me because it's distracting. :|