How to kill a craving...when you just want "something"?

Options
13»

Replies

• bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll chomp on a big handful of baby carrots.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Pickles! Coffee or tea (or diet hot cocoa, or diet soda...). A walk, nap, or other distraction.
  • NikkiBubbleGum
    Options
    Usually I just drink a bunch of water and spin around. Then the thought of food makes me wanna barf. I do that when I'm hungry after dinner also.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Green tea. Herbal tea.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    A small cup of plain cheerios w a couple cut up strawberries in lacose free milk. That's a good way to go
  • jcmhe
    jcmhe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SkFarmMom wrote: »
    So, only 4 days back on MFP, tracking my eating, and I'm prowling around the house with this "I just need SOMETHING" feeling...

I know I'm well hydrated. I'm not actually hungry...I tried a Tbsp of peanut butter, but I don't want to "boredom" eat...

What's your favorite way to kill a "something" craving...in the kitchen, or out of it?

If you really really want it take a small portion and put it away or throw it in the trash and go take a walk. Because if you deprive yourself you're likely to overindulge.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I just think of the fact that I'm training to ram people's opinion of me back down their throats. The rest is easy after that.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I make a cup of hot tea. I buy it in fun flavors, like apple cinnamon, gingerbread, etc. They are decaf and have no calories and for some reason a hot drink fills up my stomach and makes me not feel hungry.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You have two options:

1. Eat what you're craving and work it into your calories.
    2. Ignore it.

By all means, eat what you are craving. Denying yourself things you love isn't making this a sustainable plan. However, learning to control your cravings can be useful too. If you just ignore it, it will pass. Keeping yourself busy helps with the ignoring phase.

Both options are valid.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    eat it in moderation and track it. Not eating it will make you crave it more and end up eating too much.

29509743.png
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat cucumbers.
  • HappierMe1023
    HappierMe1023 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Usually if I am craving sweets I'll have a little bit of dark chocolate and wait about 10 min. That kills my craving 9 out of 10 times. I keep dark chocolate squares at work because it's usually in the afternoon when I get snacky and want something. It also doesn't help in an office where there are always some sort of cookies or sweets in the kitchen.

I also find that sometimes when I crave it's because I've lost sight of my end goal. When this happens I'll try going downstairs to my gym for 30 min to get in some cardio. This usually helps kick me back into the right mindset as once I've worked out I feel like I don't want to eat back those calories.

Last but not least, I don't hold out on myself all the time. I let myself have what I'm craving from time to time. It's usually once per week. No food is bad and it's all about moderation.
  • gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Out of the kitchen..I play video games. Madden on weekdays for a quick game on weekdays to keep me distracted. Long RPGs on weekends I have to kill a few hours. I am keeping my hands busy this way. HINT: Skyrim.

In the kitchen...I try to reach for apples, carrots, etc when I am hungry now. Not always successful but it helps.
  • nopy99
    nopy99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carrots work for me if I'm really in a spin