What supplements do you use?

Options
I'm considering supplementing calcium each day now, as well as multivitamins and possibly protein powder when I start lifting. Curious to see which brands people are using, what they're using, and how they've been working. :)

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Best source of calcium is from food. I do take a multi, alive energy formula I believe its called, I take a move free ultra for joints and one each of turmeric and ginger capsules for inflammation and digestion.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Plexus!! Love it!!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    haymancm wrote: »
    Plexus!! www.ahayman.myplexusproducts.com Love it!!

Please don't advertise things you are profiting on. It makes your motive seem less sincere, and it is against the MFP rules.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options

haymancm wrote: »
    Plexus!! www.ahayman.myplexusproducts.com Love it!!

Please don't advertise things you are profiting on. It makes your motive seem less sincere, and it is against the MFP rules.
    Sorry!

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    GNC Men's Energy and Metabolism
    Vitamin Shoppe Garlic
    Welby (ALDI) Fish Oil

Protein powder......I switch it up.....a lot.....I never try the same kind twice lol......until I've tried them all once ;) I started low......with cheap Body Fortress from Walmart.....then the EAS......then Six Star......then found the glory of Sam's Club and holy wow! They got MuscleTech, Arnold Schwarzenegger Whey lol.....as I said, I plan to try them all....until I try another one twice ;) So far no ill effects......I've even tried the "Total Soy" from Sam' Club......I read a lot of nay sayers about it.....but I didn't have any bad effects......
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology! It gives me my required dose of protein as well as a slew of other natural goodness. And there's a vegan option :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    multi
    fish oil
    magnesium (for recovery)
    creatine

casein protein: if I need more protein and am sick of meat
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, multi vitamin, pro biotic, protein powder, B-6. All from complete nutrition.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used the cheap protein powder (from costco) for the occasional smoothie and when I am using it as an ingredient.

For a straight-up post workout shake or mixed with less water for 'pudding', I definitely recommend Beverly International. Clean, tasty and it not that expensive if you look around. I get mine from Bodybuilding.com, Amazon (subscription) and right from Beverly International when they have a sale.

I take the BI daily vitamin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    None.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I use a multi-vitamin most days (because I'm quite active) just like Barocca. At the moment I think I have some Bassetts chewable things. I occasionally take iron tablets if I feel I need them, but other than that nothing.

It's worth doing some research. I have read that taking calcium supplements unless prescribed is not advisable.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For the most part I prefer to get my nutrients from real food sources, but there are a couple supplements I take since I have a hard time reaching adequate intake from food alone:
    - calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12 (I am allergic to dairy and have to limit my consumption or else wind up an itchy hive-y mess)
    - iron (I am anaemic and have issues absorbing enough iron)
    - folic acid (As a woman of "childbearing age" I want to ensure I am consuming enough to prevent NTDs, which tend to occur even before pregnancy is detected)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I use a multi-vitamin most days (because I'm quite active) just like Barocca. At the moment I think I have some Bassetts chewable things. I occasionally take iron tablets if I feel I need them, but other than that nothing.

It's worth doing some research. I have read that taking calcium supplements unless prescribed is not advisable.

I have the go-ahead to use calcium supplements.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    1. Phytomulti vitamin by Metagenics
    2. Wellness Formula by Source Naturals

When my potassium and magnesium levels come back low due to having Crohn's disease, I take potassium & magnesium supplements or get them intravenously.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I take a multivitamin (One-A-Day Women's gummies) and protein powder (CSN - it's a local brand). As for how they're working...multivitamins are probably doing nothing, but they make me feel better about not eating as many vegetables as I should. Protein powder allows me to enjoy delicious protein shakes daily and make it easier for me to reach my goal of 1 g protein per lb of bodyweight every day without going over any calorie or other macro goal I have.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    EPA/DHA (Fish Oil)
    1000 IU Vitamin D (in addition to whatever is in the multi)
    ~5g Creatine
    10g BCAA only if I am training fasted

I get plenty of Calcium from all the dairy I consume. I also don't have any trouble hitting protein goals with just food, otherwise I would have a protein powder in there.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D
    Calcium with Magnesium

Ground flax seed and1/2 scoop Body Fortress vanilla protein powder in my daily smoothie

The only ill effects I've had were super stinky protein farts when I first started using protein powder.
  • WallsA123
    WallsA123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the doTerra lifelong vitality pack. It has calcium from two different sources. I also try to make an effort to eat my nutrients from whole food. Kale is one amazing food that is packed with good stuff!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking supplements (multivitamin) because my diet has gotten better and I'm hitting my macros. If there's anything I need, it'll show up on the lab tests I'm taking every 3 months or in some symptom. There are a lot of bogus products out there raking in our dough that have nothing to do with a permanent and sustainable lifestyle.
  • lovlegs84
    Options
    WallsA123 wrote: »
    I like the doTerra lifelong vitality pack. It has calcium from two different sources. I also try to make an effort to eat my nutrients from whole food. Kale is one amazing food that is packed with good stuff!

The LVP is amazing !!!