Beginner Workout Program Suggestions

Options
Hey! I'm new here. I'm about 40 pounds over weight and I feel pretty miserable. I want to be strong and healthy, and I'm slowly gaining motivation to make the changes I need to.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice about workout programs/regimens or types of exercise that worked well for you (and that you didn't dread every day) at the beginning of your weight loss journey.

Thanks!

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i suggest just doing something to start. whatever sounds good. for as long as you can as intense as you can. no more. then keep trying more things that sound good, while increasing your intensity and length of time. then after you have tried a ton of things, you will know exactly what you like.

the only think i suggest is that you have something you can do outdoors, something to do at home, and something to do at a gym if you join one. and that you have cardio, strength and resistance, and some sort of low intensity stretching type thing like yoga to refresh your body.

youtube is a neverending source of ideas.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    DVDS. All you do is follow along.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I started with 30 day shred. I did dread it every day but it was only 20 mins a day. Second time around it was great to see the progress I had made.

Leslie sansone walk at home dvd are a less aggressive start. Plenty on you tube.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Usually compound lifts are a good place to start for a beginner wishing to lose weight, squats, bench press, deadlift, clean and press, bent over row, pull-ups . Three sets of 10-12 reps of each three times a week , try that for about six weeks and reevaluate your progress
  • mikostywr
    mikostywr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would invest in some weights, an exercise ball, and a pull-up bar, and a really good pair of running shoes. I was 170lbs and after around 4 months, I'm down to 135lbs. You also might research on your total calorie intake for the day and the % for each macros: fat, protein, carbs... because losing weight happens mostly in the kitchen and exercise just helps enhance weightloss like an enzyme to a reaction. I recommend using IIFYM.com (If it fit your macros). I personally liked running and I didn't really like lifting, but lifting helps build muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have the more you burn calories by doing nothing! It might be hard at first so adjust if you wish to follow it and advance it accordingly if it gets too easy. It will with perseverance!

P.S. When I started this I am 5'3 and was 170lbs.
    Total calorie intake: 2000 cals
    200g carbs
    150g protein
    67g fat.

My starting exercise regimen was:

1) Pushups
    -regular: 10 reps x 3 sets with 30 sec. rest in between each set
    -close grip: """"
    -wide grip: """"
    2) bicep curls: (15 lbs.) 10 reps x 3 sets with 30 sec. rest in between each set
    3) tricep dips: 10 reps x 3 sets with 30 sec. rest in between each set
    4) squats: 20 reps x 6 sets with 30 sec. rest in between each set
    5) ab wheel: 10 reps x 3 sets with 30 sec. rest in between each set
    6) Take a 2 minute break with w.e stretching you like.
    7) Run 3 miles

My pull-up regimen was: separate time (4hrs. before exercise) (For the week)

1) Day 1: Do as much as you can and then rest for 2 minutes. Repeat 5 times.
    2) Day 2: Pyramid with 10 sec. rest in between.. ex. do 1 rep, then rest 10 secs. do 2 reps then rest 10 secs...etc. until failure
    3) Day 3: Pick a Rep # and do 9 sets with 2 minute rest in between. ex. pick 4 do 4 then rest 2 minutes and repeat.
    4) Same as day 3 but 1 minute rest in between instead.

Day5-7 = rest, should journal to see progression

I did the exercise regimen 2 days in a row with a rest day (just the 3mile run) pattern of exercise. I hope this helps as a starter :D! Good luck on your journey.

• mikostywr
    mikostywr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    oh dam, didn't check to see the sex.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did was get a personal trainer - if you can afford one it's like buying in willpower :smiley: