Gained weight - I don't understand?

Options
So the first two weeks of MFP I lost 2 pounds total. However this week, I seem to have gained those 2 pounds back! I first noticed it on Sunday, but put it down to water retention/undigested food, but now, Wednesday, it's still there.
I can see it too, when I look in the mirror I can tell that my stomach sticks out a little more than it did before.
But I don't understand why? I've only been over my calories once this week, and I know I'm logging correctly because most of my foods are prepackaged (I know not great for eating clean, but the point is that they all show calories) plus I have an obsession with my food scale. This is really unmotivating me and I hate it but I don't know what to change, since I don't know what I've done wrong.
My food diary is open, please feel free to take a look and help me! I don't always remember to log water intake but I generally get 2+ litres a day.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its probably just a normal fluctuation
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's not just about the calories though...how much fat, sugars and even sodium are in those foods. High sodium foods lessen your weight loss as do high fats and sugars. Don't get disheartened just have a look at what you're eating and as you said those pre-packaged foods may not be the best for clean eating!
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Calculate your tdee then subtract 15-20% of that for weightloss. For instance, ones tdee may be 2,000.. meaning that's how many cals they need to fuel their body per day. Subtract 400 (20%) which would be 1,600 for weightloss.
    You're clearly not eating enough is what I'm trying to say. I may be wrong though.. won't find that out until you track your tdee.
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If i go over my calorie intake for 1 day only, my weight tends to spike and it does take a few days for it to go back to normal and this only happens if I have good eating and good water! so it could be that as well :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    if you're eating mainly packaged food you are probably ingesting a load of sodium which results in water retention

as a girl your hormones can as well

it's a downward trend that you need and if you stick at it it will continue

if it helps over the last 5 weeks

week 1: dropped 1lb
    week 2: put on 1lb
    week 3: stayed the same
    week 4: stayed the same
    week 5: dropped 4lbs

why? well a major work out with 4 days of post-exercise pain = water retention, excess sodium on a few days = water retention, time of the month = major water retention. Period ended, I'd been eating normally and whoosh

this week (I weigh daily so shoot me :smirk:) - I was down 1lb yesterday and up 2 today (no obvious reason but I'm also not bothered, in general I'm sticking to it, it will go )
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    As you are a female it could well be weight gain due to your cycle. Its very common to gain weight around the time of your period.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Might be worth checking the weights of your packaged foods. In Australia at least, the weight on the packet must be the minimum weight. Often times things are heavier than the stated weight and depending on what it is that could make quite a difference.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So the first two weeks of MFP I lost 2 pounds total. However this week, I seem to have gained those 2 pounds back! I first noticed it on Sunday, but put it down to water retention/undigested food, but now, Wednesday, it's still there.
    I can see it too, when I look in the mirror I can tell that my stomach sticks out a little more than it did before.
    But I don't understand why? I've only been over my calories once this week, and I know I'm logging correctly because most of my foods are prepackaged (I know not great for eating clean, but the point is that they all show calories) plus I have an obsession with my food scale. This is really unmotivating me and I hate it but I don't know what to change, since I don't know what I've done wrong.
    My food diary is open, please feel free to take a look and help me! I don't always remember to log water intake but I generally get 2+ litres a day.

Like they said your body fluctuates, so you need to be looking at the long term trend over weeks rather than days. Loss is not linear. You havent done anything wrong.

You are young so please be more patient and carry on eating at a deficit, logging and exercising.

You dont say what weight/height you are and how much you are trying to lose a week. The closer you are to target the harder it seems to become.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. I've gained a pound and a half since Friday because TOM is about to start. It happens, it's normal, it will go away eventually.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day??

How tall are you? What do you currently weigh?